Vertigo Collector's Edition: Case says DD 5.1, HK says 5.0

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles M Berry, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Charles M Berry

Charles M Berry Stunt Coordinator

I don't know if anyone else has reported this, but when I put in the Vertigo Collector's Edition DVD into my Panasonic player, my Harman Kardon AVR-110 showed that Vertigo was in fact only sending 5.0 discreet channels to my receiver. I looked at the case again, and it said 5.1. I looked for it at a couple of places online, which all reported it to be 5.1, but HK says there is not dedicated LFE.

Can anyone else confirm this, and if it is true, very interesting that it has not been reported yet by even such authorities as WSR.

And yes, my AVR was set to Sub On, the HK shows a red rectangle for the sub being set on, but there was no "LFE" inside the box saying it was receiving a signal, as it was for all other channels.

Please confirm.

2. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

My receiver also pulls up a 5.0 mix. Still not bad though... if only the picture was anamorphic. Great disc, otherwise.

3. Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

Robert
    There was never a LFE track to begin with so it's not really "missing". I believe Vertigo was originally a mono release and this stereo version was created using the original music score recordings. Since Robert Harris aims to restore as accurately as possible to the original version, rather than "improve" a director's vision, there doesn't need to be one.

This of course goes completely against the idea of a new stereo mix, but one listen to Herrman's score coming through in true stereo completely validates the decision.

4. Charles M Berry

OK, good. So I'm not crazy.

This is obviously not too big of a deal. But I am kinda surprise by the lack of response. I know that alot of times the studio gets the information wrong on the DVD case, and then all the online sites get it wrong too.

But have we all just accepeted this as normal operating procedures? I'm no longer talking specifically about Vertigo, but in general. Seems like mislabeling the surround channels (among other things) happens too frequently. How hard is it for a studio releasing a major motion picture to know (and print) the correct number of channels? I think this problem is a lack of communication, but at what point do we start to hold them accountable for misprints?

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Well, judging by posts I've seen here about major releases ("lacking" bass in some DTS tracks, 1.78 vs. 1.85 aspect ratio, 448 vs. 384 Kbps DD and 768 vs 1.5Mbps DTS, not to mention the age old DD vs. DTS) I'd say that people are as critical (and in some cases overcritical) as ever.

6. Seth_S

Seth_S Second Unit

To clarify, Herman's score was recorded in stereo and down mixed for theatrical release.

7. Charles M Berry

Seth_S wrote,