What's new

Veronica Mars Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
As far as I can see, the Aeries don't affect VM. I watch live, and saw them once during the premiere, but not at all this week.
Anyway, I'm a little confused as to why Trish didn't just take the asst. coach's soul if she wanted him to lay off her boyfriend.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You don't watch Supernatural, then. Trish (Lindsay Mckeon) played a grim reaper of sorts in the first episode on Supernatural this season.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Sorry, I know inside references are annoying. I should have resisted. Yeah, Lindsey McKeon played a particularly cute reaper on Supernatural. I hope she lands on some show I want to watch soon.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
You should give Supernatural a shot, Nicholas, I mean I know you like this sort of show with Buffy and Angel and this is right up your alley I think. :emoji_thumbsup:
Just a freindly suggestion. :cool:
BTW, what happend to your avatar, Greg?

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Sun said:
This season feels like VM-Lite.
That's because there are no personal crisis or stakes for her this time around. Best friend wasn't murdered, boyfriend (best friend's bro) didn't mysteriously ditch her, she is not a social pariah, dad's reputation isn't damaged and mom didn't peace out.
How about S2's setup? Newly ex boyfriend facing a murder rap, busload of schoolmates murdered...
But more than personal stakes, to me the biggest casualty is the simmering social tension which permeated much of the previous seasons, on and off school. Neptune just doesn't feel like Neptune any more.
But I am having fun still.
--
H

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Inspector Hammer! said:
a shot, Nicholas, I mean I know you like this sort of show with Buffy and Angel and this is right up your alley I think. :emoji_thumbsup:
My local video store has season 1 for rent, so when it comes off the new release shelf and becomes a full week rental, that's when I'll rent it so I can spend time with it.

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick Sun said:
This season feels like VM-Lite.
I agree to a certain extent, but otoh, I felt that way about the early episodes of S2 also, which really took its time getting into things. And so far, I've enjoyed the first three episodes of S3 more than I did in S2.
I'm so glad Weevil is back and his scenes with Keith were great. I also thought it was a genius idea to get him a job at Hearst where he might be able to offer some assistance to V now and then. He's her new Wallace, so I'm sure there will be master keys to copy and files to steal!
Otoh, Wallace and Mac were MIA in this episode. I get that every character won't be in every episode b/c there just isn't the time (or the budget) for them, but I hope they won't be missing for long stretches like last year when poor Wallace was sent off to Chicago.
I loved the Veronica/Logan scenes in this episode. I thought they were very realistic (I had the exact same fights with my bf in college) and done very well. Clearly they both have a lot of issues but I love seeing them make the effort for each other b/c they care about each other a lot. I'd like them to ease up a bit on Logan's "broodiness" though. It seems like they are trying to make Piz the "cheerful" one so they dialed Logan way down and made him more subdued by comparison, but he was never so broody and dour in the past.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Logan is newly orphan. His mother presumably killed herself. His father screwed and murdered his son's girlfriend, before getting whacked himself. I don't know how he manages to even muster a smile.

--

H

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator
Holadem said:
Logan is newly orphan. His mother presumably killed herself. His father screwed and murdered his son's girlfriend, before getting whacked himself. I don't know how he manages to even muster a smile.
I understand all that, but his mother's suicide was almost two years ago and he found out about his father's killing Lilly over a year ago. So I get that he's troubled and damaged, but that's who he has been in the entire series.
I don't expect him to be sweetness and light because then he wouldn't be Logan, but in the past, he turned his pain into bitterness and sarcasm, not low-key mopiness and brooding. It's the low-key part that is starting to seem off, not the bitterness and pain. Even in the midst of his mother's suicide and his father's abuse and his own legal troubles, Logan had the funniest lines. His funny line quotient seems to have been handed off to other characters this year, that's all I'm saying.
It's a minor quibble, though, because I still love Logan and I loved his scenes with Veronica in this episode. It just seems like they are setting him up as the "broody" one to contrast with Piz and his super-cheerful happy-go-lucky demeanor so they are making him extra broody, even more than usual.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
OK I see what you're saying and mostly agree.

Does anyone agree/disgree with my evaluation this season so far?! The apparent loss of social context is bugging me.

--

H

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Despite the sucky reworking of the theme song, the new season has been quite enjoyable. Veronica continues to charm everyone and make new friends everywhere. Not!
Great cast addition on last night's episode. Ed Begley Jr. joins in as the Dean of the college.

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator
Holadem said:
But more than personal stakes, to me the biggest casualty is the simmering social tension which permeated much of the previous seasons, on and off school. Neptune just doesn't feel like Neptune any more.
I get what you are saying and I can't disagree. I think this season -- or at least this first mystery dealing with the rapes, anyway -- is going to be about Hearst more than Neptune at large.
Hearst is its own community and freshmen in particular probably don't have a lot of dealings with the general outside community at large because they have just moved there from all over the country, so it seems like they are focusing on Hearst rather than the simmering tension in Neptune. I think they are dealing with the sex/class politics of Hearst rather than the race/class politics of Neptune.
Otoh, it remains to be seen whether Neptune will play a larger role later in the season. I am guessing that the second and third mysteries won't be so Hearst-focused and of course Lamb is still around, theoretically investigating the rapes.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'll be happy as long as Weevil is given a good story arc.
I would hate to see him pop up just for the odd 'something's broken and Weevil has to fix it' scene. Both the character and Capra himself, deserve better than that. If the Keith/Weevil thing lasted, that would have been a great way to explore other areas of both characters, if those brief moments in the episode were any indication.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
I get what you are saying and I can't disagree. I think this season -- or at least this first mystery dealing with the rapes, anyway -- is going to be about Hearst more than Neptune at large.
Hearst isn't even in Neptune -- according to Keith last season, it's four or five exits away (say 20-25 miles). So even if the students leave campus, they aren't going to be dealing with Neptune's screwed-up social dynamic.
I think what we're seeing so far is the establishment of a new, different screwed-up social dynamic. Instead of a town without a middle class, we have a diverse community split between the callous and the hyper-sensitive.
I do agree that the rape mystery isn't as compelling as it should be -- even with Mac's roommate getting raped, I don't feel that Veronica has any real drive to solve the case. But on the other hand, I think the mysteries-of-the-week in this episode and Welcome Wagon are the best we've seen since M.A.D. in the first season. I know some people have said the missing playbook is too much like the missing parrot in Betty and Veronica, but frankly I don't care what the MacGuffin is so long as Veronica ruin's someone's life while finding it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks