What's new

Veronica Mars Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Natalie F

Stunt Coordinator
Holy. Crap.

I thought maybe they wouldn't be able to top last season, but I think I might enjoy this one more than last year. Damn. That was just excellent. I was watching it about midnight so I didn't pick up on half the things other people did (Logan's "I'll miss you") so I'll definitely have to watch it again.

That last shot just totally got me though. This season is going to rock.

Oh, and Veronica's so not over Logan. Sure he's a self-destructive ass at the moment, but that just means there's nowhere to go but up, right? ...Right??

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

That's particularly good considering the competition this season. Hopefully this means UPN will stick with it.

ChadM

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think anyone expects this show to compete with Lost. What I would like to know is how does it compare to what Buffy used to do?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
It is on against Lost, but its lead-in is America's Next Top Model, which was consistently among the best rated shows on the network last year. The fact that it held or built on the numbers for ANTM means that it is probably one of the top two or three rated shows on UPN this week. Between that and "Everybody Hates Chris", which definitely was the top rated show on UPN this week, UPN execs should be pretty happy.

Regards,

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Such as? I've said it before, but there are no good timeslots - with six networks, pretty much every hour has some popular/entrenched show that appeals to your audience. Here, Veronica is at least getting the benefit of a lead-in from the networks most popular show in recent years.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

Glad I'm not the only one who immediately thought of that movie when the episode ended. Think Ian Holm will be visiting Neptune this year? ;)

David Rosen

Agent
Does anyone know the name and artist of the song at the very end of the latest episode (2x01)? I think that it really completes the scene and is definitely something I could listen to over and over again.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Just an update, E-Ring (which has been the 2nd highest show in this timeslot) is switching with Miss Martha's version of The Apprentice tonight. The change is likely permanent. Could be a good thing for Mars...

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor

I thought the same thing but I love this show and I know that as the season progresses it will NOT disappoint.

So, who was on that bus?

I know Naima (the teacher) was and Meg but who else? Was Steve G's daughter, Gia, on the bus as well?

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator

There is no way I'm going to believe that Logan had anything to do with it. Logan is always the "Prime Suspect" for everything, but nine times out of ten, he's being wrongly accused. I see it happening yet again here. He didn't kill Felix and he wasn't involved in the bus incident, but he's implicated in both crimes.

I'm still not even sure he participated in burning the commmunity pool, but at least I can buy it if he did because he believed he was "getting back" at whoever took that shot at him and Veronica. Plus, the intention wasn't to hurt anyone physically. Logan is immature and impulsive, but he's not evil. This is the boy who risked getting expelled for someone he hates, just because it was the right thing to do. That's not a person capable of committing mass murder. Even if he's mad at Veronica and Duncan at the moment, he still cares about them and wouldn't want them to get hurt.

Dick's comment about the bad smell has to be important to what happened on the bus. Somebody set up an explosive device or something. It's possible Dick knew something was up, but I doubt it. He didn't try very hard to get Veronica and Meg off the bus, and I don't think he would want them dead. He's a creep, but I don't think he's a killer either. It has to be an adult (or adults) behind the bus accident. The question is who was the target? I'm inclined to think Veronica will believe that it was her, but I bet it was Gia or the Casablancas boys.

Al_S

Second Unit
What is this show suppose to be about? I've tried to follow a couple of episodes and it seems a little weird to me. Is it suppose to be a Buffy show without the vampires?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
In general, I'd say it's only compared to Buffy due to the characters' ages. I think the detective quality combined with the importance of the setting lends itself more to Twin Peaks sans the supernatural element.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
About a year before the first season, Veronica's best friend Lily was murdered, and her father was fired from his position of Sherriff when he started investigating her (wealthy) family. The formerly popular Veronica became an outcast, and at the first party she attended afterward, she was slipped a roofie and taken advantage of.

The first year was spent solving the Lily Kane murder (and is available on DVD next week and absolutely worth a blind purchase); Veronica did but in the process made a huge mess of the town and school. Now she's got another dead friend, and there's a very real possibility that the killer was targeting her.

I loved Buffy, but comparing Veronica Mars to Buffy is selling Veronica short. Ms. Mars isn't a superhero, but she's not a whiner, either, and Rob Thomas does a better job balancing micro- and macro-stories better than Whedon & company ever did.

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator

I know that two people above already answered this, but I'll put in my two cents.

That description of Veronica Mars as "Buffy without vampires" is a very lazy way of trying to describe VM. The shows have a lot of similarities, true, but they are also very different shows. Anyone expecting a "Buffy clone" will probably be disappointed. Anyone expecting a truly original and well-written show that also uses a high school setting to explore more universal (and darker) themes, however, should love VM.

Where Buffy used the traditional themes and plotlines of the horror genre and turned them upside down with the teenage heroine kicking butt, VM uses the traditional themes and plotlines of the "hard-boiled detective" genre, complete with the jaded voiceovers. She's Sam Spade in a short skirt.

Her seemingly "perfect" boyfriend dumped her, alcoholic mother abandoned her, her best friend was brutally murdered. So she's seen a lot in her young years, which explains her bitter attitude and why she expects the worst from people. And unlike Buffy, she has no superhero abilities, only her smarts and her detective gadgets, which she uses to fight injustice and corruption instead of vampires and demons. And in a small town teeming with injustice and corruption, Veronica has plenty to do. So in tone and plot, it's more Twin Peaks than Buffy. But no Lynchian weirdness. And lots of wit and humor.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Another GREAT episode. Beaver is on to his stepmom, and his dad is onto Logan (or so it seems). Veronica is at the center of the bus "accident." Keith's running for Sherrif, and the shocker...Meg's still alive. As always, I can't wait until next week.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
Y'know, I actually preferred Duncan/Veronica when we only saw them together in brief flashbacks. Their relationship moments in this episode really dragged, apart from the scene where they were in bed together.

It's nice to see Wallace has learned a trick or two from Veronica -- the trick with the spark-plugs followed by calling school security was classic. Too bad he did it for such an annoying girl.

Mr. Casablancas seems to be a pretty cool guy -- for some reason I was expecting him to be more Dick than Beaver. In fact, I'm finding the Casablancases far more interesting than the Echolls or Kanes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks