What's new

Veronica Mars Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Antonio_G

Stunt Coordinator
I just started watching Veronica Mars this summer and I thought the show was very good so I'll be watching the second season and buying the first season on October 11th...

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait for this to start up again. I've managed to keep myself rather spoiler-free, but with both Joss Whedon and Kevin Smith nearly creaming their pants over the show and guest-starring, it's pretty insane. Really, if half of their fans alone tuned in, this show would be a huge ratings success, but so many of them seem turned off by it because it's a "girl's show." Too bad for them, as it's got some of the best writing and acting out there.

It's too bad WB screwed Rob Thomas over twice with the DVDs (first, by saying only a bare-bones set would let him release it before S2 began, and then shuffling it after the premiere so it wouldn't "interfere" with other WB TV on DVD).

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I caught the end of the S1 finale last night and I still find that fight between Aaron and Keith incredibly moving. The whole season had been building to that climax and I think it may be the only fight scene that has made me misty because of all the the underlying issues and emotions at play (V's paternity, justice for Lillie, restoring the Mars' name, saving Veronica). :b

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
damn, why can't warner release this sooner? hell lost has about 8 hours worth of extras and came out 2 weeks before the season premiere?

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Finally saw the season 2 finale. The identity of Lilly's killer took me by surprise but made sense. This is a great show and I am very happy that UPN, for the most part, showed the series during the summer. I may have to get the DVD in order to catch the episodes that were not re-aired.

Looking forward to the second season. Count me as a new fan.

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator

I have seen some comments around the net from guys who don't want to watch because they think VM is a "girl's show" and I don't understand it. Just because a show features a female lead character, how does that make it a "girl" show? Is Cold Case a "girl" show? Buffy? Alias? Was Aliens a "chick flick" because Ripley is female?

I'll never understand that line of thinking. Then again, I'm female and it would never occur to me not to watch something because it's a "guy show." The very idea is absurd. If it's good, it's good. I don't care if the lead character is male, female, or Klingon.

VM does have a female lead character and the show is seen from her perspective, but other than that, it's hard for me to fathom how anyone could describe a show centered around a murder mystery (with plenty of lurid storylines involving sex and drugs) as a "girl's show." I am hoping that fans of Joss Whedon and Kevin Smith would be curious enough to check out VM based on their recommendations without discounting VM as a "girl's show."

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
An easy dig would be that they're not secure in the masculinity, and they're threatened by a woman that's stronger than they are. But really they're just stupid. Not only that, but Kristen Bell is really hot! And most importantly, the show is really good!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Totally agree. That's why I have no shame watching Gilmore Girls, by all accounts a "girly" show, but a show that is simply good regardless of its supposed genre. And yes, I'm straight :).

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator

I do think there are a lot of male closeted GG fans out there, but I would totally understand a guy not wanting to watch GG because it's about the relationship between a mother and daughter and the plot centers a lot around their various romantic exploits. That kind of "girly" stuff doesn't appeal to a lot of guys, okay, I get that.

But VM has a lead female character whose central relationship is with her father, and all the other supporting characters are male. And the plot isn't centered around relationships but her ability to bring down the bad guy each week. Even though Veronica dates, VM certainly doesn't focus on her romantic exploits and they always take a back seat to her neverending quest for truth and justice. (In fact, just how *much* her romance takes a back seat to her quest for justice was painfully apparent in the season finale.)

Anyway . . . anyone who dismisses VM as a "girl's show" can't be very well informed about the show imho. Considering that the lead is a teenage girl, this show couldn't be less "girly." Even Buffy cared more about girly stuff like going to the prom than Veronica does. (Veronica did go to two dances last year, but only because she was asked and/or coerced into going and she never seemed that excited about it. And you can't have a show set in high school without a school dance once in a while.)

I'm still crossing my fingers that the appearances of Kevin Smith and Joss Whedon will at least bring in some new viewers for the curiosity factor. I think VM is good enough to keep them watching.

And of course, Kristen Bell is hot as well as amazingly talented. I would think that alone would get guys to watch! Heck, I'm half in love with the girl, and I'm a straight female. :D Really, I'm in love with Veronica and impressed with Kristen's performance. She never misses a beat, that girl.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I would also be curious about the average age of these "girly" detractors. My impression is such concerns usually come from teenage boys.

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator
Jeez, if teenage boys don't want to see Kristen Bell run around in short skirts and tell people off with her bad attitude . . . not to mention the well-endowed Charisma Carpenter prancing around in a teeny bikini . . . then I don't know what teenage boys want to watch. ;)

And I thought geeky teenage boys followed the every word of Joss Whedon and/or Kevin Smith and did whatever they commanded. Or that's what I'm hoping for anyway. :)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Well, what can you expect when ads try to PUSH the girly aspect of the show. The latest in entertainment weekly "street smart with heart." featuring a gold tint just makes it look like THE OC... the spinoff! Or what about the original DVD cover that appears to push a love triangle and a very "teeny" vibe...

I think THIS is what people think of when they hear the title or see ads. It's really a shame, cause it's still the best show NOBODY is watching.

Here's hoping the new season pulls in stronger ratings... I think word of mouth is finally catching on.

Natalie F

Stunt Coordinator

Same here. The Joss thing was great, and then Kevin Smith jumped in and that was fantastic. I really don't know what to predict with the ratings for the second season. On one hand the CBS screenings picked up viewers and the summer re-runs have done well, but on the other hand it's up against Lost. I'm sure Lost's ratings won't stay at 23 million but it's still worrying. Hopefully the ratings will go over 3 million and UPN will be more lenient with it since it's such a critical hit.

I know the reason I thought it looked stupid was because it was called 'Veronica Mars'. I went to the (then) TV Tome to read about it and saw that it was set in a place called Neptune, and I thought it sounded retarded. Now I really should have learned my lesson since I tuned in to Buffy The Vampire Slayer because I thought it was going to be a parody or spoof or something and got so much more. I guess I'm just not going to learn, am I? The only reason I eventually checked it out was the buzz on the net and the critical acclaim.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
And this isn't the first time he's praised the show or it's cast and crew. I know I'm repeating myself somewhat, but if you've got two of the "fanboy" directors and your most serious competitor praising you, you must be doing something right. Let's hope the show does better and/or impresses UPN again. For me, "Veronica Mars" will be watched, "Lost" will be recorded.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Well, the new show "Head-Cases" was just cancelled by FOX after only 2 episodes. That means VM has Nanny 911 against it for the first 2 weeks or so. Hopefully the premiere brings in some new viewers. Anything over 3 million would be a big improvement. Hopefully there was ads during Everybody Hates Chris (which I found to be very good) seeing as how that show did so well in the ratings.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I think Fox has an idea some shows are suspect before they get aired, but they go ahead and air a few episodes just in case they're wrong.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob

I'll admit it, the reason I love this show so much is because "Veronica Mars is smarter than me." ;)

Seriously, GG and VM are my two favorite shows and I'm so far from the target demographic it's not funny. I like both shows for snappy sarcastic dialog, hip cultural references, good story lines (which GG has lost over the last year or two), and superior acting.

If that calls my masculinity into question, so be it.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks