What's new

Veronica Mars question (1 Viewer)

Martin_K

Agent
I've been thinking of picking up the first season. Never watched the show but heard things about it. Was wondering if anyone here can tell me if its worth a blind purchase.

julienUK

Stunt Coordinator

I picked up the set without having seen any episode, and let me tell you it is now my favourite tv show.I watched the whole of season 1 in a couple of days.

So to answer your question, yes it is a blind purchase!!
:)

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, absolutely. The first season of VM is perhaps my favorite single season of a tv show, ever.

Martin_K

Agent
Really? well I heard that the ending is a little weak. Is it kinda like Buffy and her scooby gang?

julienUK

Stunt Coordinator
I actually finished watching season 2 this weekend, and the ending once again was very strong.

Really do hope this show comes back for a third season!!

Run to a shop and pick up season 1 right away!!

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator

I can't imagine where you heard that the ending was "weak." I've been watching TV for 30+ years and the season finale of S1 Veronica Mars is one of the best season finales I've ever seen. It received rave reviews across the board from EW, TV Guide and every other major TV critic that I'm aware of.

I thought the S2 finale (and S2 overall) was a little weaker than S1 but still, VM is my favorite show on network tv and one of my favorite shows of all time. I can't recommend it enough.

VM really doesn't that have much in common with Buffy and her "scooby gang," imho. Both shows revolve around a girl who attends high school in California, but that's about it. VM is about a father-daughter detective team. Dad Keith Mars is the P.I. and teenage daughter Veronica answers the phones and sticks her nose into his cases to help out.

Veronica doesn't really have a "gang" of anyone except her dad. She has a sidekick, sort of, but there is definitely no "gang." Veronica doesn't have any superpowers and no real "powers" to speak of, except for the fact that she's smart and a good detective. She's also very witty, so she has that in common with Buffy, too, I guess. The sharp and clever dialogue is the main reason for the BtVS comparisons, but the shows are completely different genres.

VM has more in common with detective shows like Remington Steele and Moonlighting than it does with Buffy imho. But like Buffy, VM takes an old-fashioned genre and gives it a very modern twist. Veronica is Phillip Marlowe in a short skirt, armed with a cell phone and a laptop.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
Martin,

I just picked season 1 up at Target on Saturday. It seems to be on sale until May 22 I believe for $22.99. That's an incredible price (nearly half off).

It was a blind buy for me also and I'm very much looking forward to digging into it. But I think I'll hold off until later in the summer to start watching. If I enjoy it as much as I think I will, I'd like to be able to pick up season 2 (August 22) when I'm done and not have to wait for a couple months.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
Veronica is a great show. I bought it blind and caught up with s1 as s2 was kicking off. Loved it! Well worth picking up.

Martin_K

Agent
Since all you guys have to say is positive things about the show, I think I'll pick it up soon.

Unfortunetly I don't have a Target around my place. Don't think there are any in Toronto.

Brent_H

Second Unit

I got mine at Target for $22.99 also. I rented disc one from the 'flix, and decided to just go buy it. Love it. Kristen Bell is a little hottie too, so that helps! :)

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
Martin, I agree with what everyone else has said in this thread. It is totally worth the blind buy.

I know Target online has it for $29.99, can you order it from there?

UPDATE: I just read on 'The Ausiello Report' at TVGuide.com that "Veronica Mars" has been picked up for Season 3, with 22 episodes, but down to 13 if the ratings do not go up. So, us fans of the show need to start shouting from the tree tops about what a great show this is and get people to start watching it. Target might still have Season 1 on sale for $22.99 so tell as many people as you can about this show and get more people hooked like I got John Williamson hooked!

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

Ahh, there you are! :D

I wanted to thank you. It was your post somewhere last week where I learned about the Target sale. Had it not been for that post, this would still be sitting on my wishlist.

I looked at my Target when I picked mine up and it looks like the sale is good until May 22nd.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I bought it for myself for Christmas and it was a blind buy. I watched it with my partner and we were hooked from the first episode. We ended up watching it all within 2-3 weeks.
Great show. Good dialogue and Kristen Bell is pretty damn amazing.
Go get it now!!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Martin,
as someone who discovered this show recently through Wendy, let me assure you that this show is so off-the-charts fun and rewarding to watch that it's not even funny!

Your completely safe for a blind buy if you enjoy detective shows of the highest order. :emoji_thumbsup:

And yes!! Spread the word to as many people who will listen and let's keep all 22 eps on the schedual next season! It's insane that a great show like this is even in danger of being scaled down to 13, let's show the CW that the VR fans are out here and that we're rabid, we're hungry and we want her to stick around awhile! :)

Lastly, anyone who has seen season two, please use spoilers when discussing it, some are just getting into the show via DVD and haven't seen season 2 yet, thanks. :emoji_thumbsup:

LeonaB

Stunt Coordinator
I watched Veronica Mars from the very first airing of the pilot last year and it instantly became my favorite show on TV! I'd say it's definitely worth buying. And if you catch S1 now, you'll be ready to purchase S2 in August. Then, when S3 begins on CW, you'll be all caught up!!!

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator

The CW knows very well that VM fans are rabid about this show. Did you hear about the fans who hired a plane to fly over the CW offices with a VM banner? Crazy! But it got some press about how much VM fans LOVE this show, blahblah, and that was the point.

I guess I'm one of the insane crazy cultish fans too, because I can't stop talking about how great this show is. My love for this show has surpassed my love for Buffy and even My So-Called Life. It's insanely entertaining and addictive. And Kristen Bell is a superstar. She will go on to great things, there's no doubt about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks