What's new

Velodyne DLS 3500R Vs Infinity PS410 (1 Viewer)

yervais

Auditioning
Real Name
Francois Girbaud
Hello Guys.. new to the forum here... Im trying to decide on which one to buy... Im after sound quality mainly... but I can't help notice that the Velodyne Sub is 160w vs 300w for the Infinity... which one should I buy??? Thanks in advance! Y

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Don't look at the wattage. That's the least important number. What are the other specs of both subs? Your best value is an internet direct manufacturer if you are in the US or Canada. Actually, DIY is your best value if you have the woodworking skill and tools already.

yervais

Auditioning
Real Name
Francois Girbaud
I do have woodworking skill... Im just not sure what amp & subs should I use... I have a boston 8 car audio sub sealed and a 300w car audio amp... but don't know if it will work SQ wise in a home theater... where should I look to gather all this info about DIY sub..?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
In my opinion, an 8" sub is usually a waste of time and money in a home theater. You also shouldn't use a car audio amp without the proper AC to DC converter and that costs more than a good 2,000w pro amp. I've helped a lot of people with their DIY subs. Scroll through the threads here in this section and read about them. You need to get a hard budget. By hard, I don't mean "$200 but I can push it to $300 if it will sound better". Pick a number and stick with it. Second, you need to determine what your goals are. Do you want extremely low bass for action movies or do you want to go with a sub that performs with all movies as well as music? Make sure the goals are in line with your budget. You can't get realistic cannon shots from Master and Commander on a $300 budget. Bump that to $1,000 and you will fell the cannons like you were sitting beside them. Finally, list your constraints. DIY subs can be as large as a refrigerator. Make sure your constraints also line up with your goals. You may have the money for a world class sub but you can't build it the size of a shoe box. Hoffman's Iron Law (physics as explained by Hoffman) gets in the way - http://www.salksound.com/wp/?p=56

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks