What's new

Velodyne CHT Series Subs (1 Viewer)

Rus Bowisc

Stunt Coordinator
I own the CHT-10 and was wondering if there would be much of a difference between this particular model and their 12" and 15" versions.

As far as specs... it doesn't look like the price differences give you relative increase in performance.

Rus

Curt C

Agent
:) Hi Rus,
You will notice a significant improvement with the CHT-12 over the CHT-10. It can not only play louder and deeper but will also have less distortion. If your room is medium to large or opens into other rooms, you won't believe what the CHT-15 can do. Home theater puts tremendous strains on small subwoofers and the reserve capability of the larger units is very desirable. I've used all three units and believe me in most cases, larger is better. If you have a chance audition the CHT-15, it's a serious sub and for the money I doubt you can do better.
Good Luck,
Curt

Gene HS

Auditioning
I've owned a Velodyne CHT-10 and wasn't very impressed with it. OK with movies, not good at all with music. I now have a Hsu VTF-2 and it too has a 10 inch woofer, but this sub is much, much better than the CHT-10. Unless you're getting full trade-up value (like at Circuit City), you should seriously consider Hsu or SVS.

Curt C

Agent
Gene,
While the HSU VTF-2 is an excellent sub, it's still a 10" and certainly can't compete with the CHT-15 in a large environment. For an inexpensive sub I find the 15 delivers where other usually fail. If you get a chance give it a try.
Curt

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
There was a time when I ran duel CHT 15's and can tell you a CHT 15 is a very good sub if you can find it for the right price. The 10" CHT does not even compare and does not have the same circuitry. Where the CHT 15 lacks is the authority down in the lower regions. I know this is hard to believe if you have herd one or have one but it is so. One of my 25-31 CS+'s will do what two CHT 15's will in the lower Hz material conservatively.

Lets take the first Flyby in SW II for instance. I could realize 110--111dB with my duel CHT 15's and that was it. The Velo's limiters prevented me from going any further. Now with one 25-31 CS+ I can realize 109--110 dB. (All these measurements are uncorrected). With SVS duel I can hit 116dB in my 2880 cubic ft HT. 24 X 12 with 10' ceilings. I know I could push them a dB or two maybe three beyond but my conservativeness kicks in. As the material goes lower the spread increases more between the two. The Flyby in SW II would not be considered a real good low HZ demo scene either.

I like Velodyne but imo you would be better served with going a different rout?? I used to hate it when this was suggested to me. When I finally did is when I understood.:emoji_thumbsup:

To get back to your honest question though. Yes the CHT 15 would be a huge improvement over the CHT 10. Sorry for rambling on.:emoji_thumbsup:

mofet_n

Grip
I just purchased the cht-15 at Future shop just the other day for 800$ can, tax in and a 9 year warr. I wired it with a 12ft. AR high quality cable (with y adpter). I'm running it with a hk 325 and polk audio set up. I must say, the sub is great. I like to have good sounding bass, and I like it to be loud.

Karl_Sp

Grip
Hey I have owned a CHT-10 for about 3 months now. What do you think of yours? I didnt know anything about subwoofers when I got it. Actually, I first got a polk psw250 which was a joke really. I have tried the CHT-10 in my large open basement and in my girlfriends small confined basement. I found that it worked well in the small basement. In the large basement I have to push the sub to its limits and position it for maximum output (and boominess) to get good results.

-karl

ps 800 cdn for the cht15 is incredible. How did you get that deal?

MikeSta

Auditioning
Greetings all,

New to the forum and glad to be here!

I am considering getting a new sub and was thinking about the CHT 10 to start with then upgrade to the 12 a few months later, using the CC upgrade policy. I want the best bang for the buck but don't have much buck to go around. I am thinking the ballpark at first is going to be around $300. I would like to step right up to the SVS but getting another $300 may take a while.

Does it sound logical to get the lower CHT-10 then try and upgrade later on down the road with the CC plan or should I just wait another year and save enough for an SVS, a year is an awfully long time.

Rus Bowisc

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks everyone for the replies... SVS is really out of budget... so I'm thinking the CHT-15 will hold me off for a while.

I rarely even listen passed 95db-SPL at sitting area. That's pretty loud. Really the CHT-10 is doing "ok", but I want a little more OOMPH.

I will check with CC about their trade-up policy... evenmore since my CHT-10 is only 3 weeks old.

Rus

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Hay Rus there is no shame having a CHT 15. I just felt I had the right to let you know considering my past. Considering your circumstances>> If you can trade up to a 15 then you would be very impressed with the difference in performance over the 10. The CC in my area discontinued the 15 as of the last time I checked. The 15 will give you allot more oomph and sound a whole lot better doing it. It's one thing to know and then it's another thing to really know.

Rus Bowisc

Stunt Coordinator
Thank, Steve... and everyone for your responses so far.
I'm going to contact CC today and speak with my sales-person about the upgrade.

They had the CHT-10/12 in one room... but the CHT-15 was in another... so I didn't notice the "15", otherwise I would have opted for it. I chose the 10 over the 12 because I felt that the "specs" didn't warrant $100 more. I know that a doubling of amp power only results in an increase of 3dB in SPL.

My CHT-10 sounds good in my room, but I want more SUB extension with less effort. I got mine for $399 from CC... and I found the CHT-15 online for $532, so if CC can price-match, and allow me to do the upgrade, I think it will be wise choice to go with the CHT-15.

Any other comments are appreciated.

Rus

Rus Bowisc

Stunt Coordinator
Quick question:

Can the CHT-15 (or other CHT) be placed on its "side" without adverse effect? Which would put the slotted-port on the vertical axis.

Bowisc

Curt C

Agent
Rus,
Yes the CHT can be placed on it's side. Vertical or horizontal on the port doesn't matter. Slot loading usually has less adverse noise than a port.
Curt

Rus Bowisc

Stunt Coordinator
Great news... CC is letting me return my CHT-10 for full credit even though I no longer have the box for it.

Better yet, they are price matching the CHT-15 at $532.00, so I'm only paying $133 for the upgrade.

PB2 is really what I'd like, but it'll probably come much later in time as I move onto HT gear of higher caliber.

Thanks again everyone.

Rus

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
WOW! Thats great news Rus. $133 more for all the extra performance. Please if you get a chance let us know what you think? If you have any questions when it comes time to set it up--Just fire a mail off to me or use this thread. The CHT 15 has a few knobs and switches on the back of it.

Rus Bowisc

Stunt Coordinator
Oh man, I found a place that had the CHT-15 for $517, and CC matched it. So the upgrade was about $127. That is a great deal!

CC was so gracious to take my CHT-10 back without a box for full exchange. They had ONE CHT-15 in stock, so I was fortunate.

Ok, here are my initial impressions:

Bass-extension seems much lower, but less "defined" than the 10". Maybe it is because it seems like I will have to raise the x-over higher than 80hz to fill the gap between my RTi70's ("small" mode). My CHT-10 seemed to take-over nicely when set to 80Hz. My AVR-125 crosses over spkrs that are set to "small" at 100hz, so this could be the issue.

Definitely worth the $127 upgrade. Very nice low-end for the money. Not as "nice" as the Westlakes I mixed on last month though. ;)

I'm still getting used to that big, room-filling low-end.

FYI, my room is 12x24... 10' ceiling.

I've read that you should set the sub's input to about 75%, and use the internal sub-volume control on the receiver to regulate LFE/L+R levels. Doing this, I end up going -10dB in my receiver (for sub ch. only).

Or is it better to set sub-ch. in reciever to 0dB, and regulate volume AT the sub's input... ? Any pro's / con's to either?

Sorry for rambling on... it' late... more tomorrow.

Rus

Curt C

Agent
Rus,
The Velodyne volume control should be set low, well to the left of straight up (9-10 o'clock) being ideal. Bring up the level on your receiver to near 0db. Since the CHT-15 is putting out considerably more deep bass it will sound a bit different than the CHT-10. Initially try bypassing the Velodyne crossover (crossover in the "out" position). Then try putting the Velodyne switch "in" and moving the crossover below 100hz, perhaps down to 80hz or so. Go with what sound best. Clean bass response is determined by placement, volume, and crossover. Take your time, it's a great sub and you got a killer deal.
Curt

Rus Bowisc

Stunt Coordinator
Should I be concernered about the "foam" surround on the woofer? Two years ago, I bought bought a "surround" kit for my two Fostex 10" subs because they were in bad shape (after 10 years or so).

Anything I can apply to the woofer without adding artifacts to sound?

Rus

Curt C

Agent
Rus,
I would say, "not to worry". I've owned many subwoofers with foam surround and never had a problem. Current drivers use treated foam which is much better than the older designs. I have a CT-120 (model before CHT-12) which I would guess to be 4 years old and the surround looks new. I would not apply any solutions to the surround unless they were specifically designed for that purpose and I haven't seen any such product.
Curt

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks