What's new

Velodyne 10" settings ( and most subs in general) (1 Viewer)

Dustin Wind

Stunt Coordinator
My sub has the following on the back:

X-OVER from 0-240

PHASE either 0 or 180 switch

INTERNAL X-OVER or DIRECT switch

To my understanding i should let my Kardon 325 do the x-over so the actual "X-OVER" knob is useless then.

Doing this i set the "INTERNAL X-OVER or DIRECT" switch to DIRECT?

Then i need to go into my receiver and put the SUB on GLOBAL and set the HZ to 80HZ? ( some people have told me 60HZ, some 80HZ and one guy said 240...so confusing!!!)

Then what do i put the PHASE switch to?

Finally....i set the volume on the SUB all the way down and use the receiver to turn the volume up? I set it to 80DB with a reader and Video essentials?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and letting me know if the stuff above is right or wrong.

I'm a complere newbie and appreciate ANY help.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
I'm not familiar with your receiver, but will have a go at this in general terms for sub set up.:

Let your receiver do the Cross over, so set your switch to Direct (that may bypass the Sub XOver switch anyway - read the manual to see). In the same note (assume you set the HK XOver to 80Hz if you have 'bookshelf' style speakers), then set the Sub X-Over to 240 to 'get it out of the way'.

Since there is roll off on your receivers Xover (and is on the sub as well) setting the sub to 80 or 100 may cause some loss due to the roll off - it's not a brick wall setting.

Personally I would set the Subs amp volume to 1/2 way and your receivers sub setting to 0db, then use your Video Essentials to calibrate. Keep the receivers sub setting close to 0 and adjust with the sub volume. One reason for this is if the receivers sub volume is set too low, the auto on/stdby feature of the sub may not work. Setting it too high just sends a hot signal to the sub from the receiver. The sub amp should be doing the amplification, not the receivers LFE output.

Once you have calibrated the sub, set the phase switch for Max SPL and then recalibrate again.

Once you are finished calibrating, then you can make adjustments to the sub volume from the receiver based on material you are listening to. You know if you set it back to the 0db point that you should be back to your calibrated levels.

Hope this helps

Dustin Wind

Stunt Coordinator
My speakers are:
JBL N380 floorstands and the rest are N-center, N26's and N 24's.

So i sent it at 80hz still?

QUOTE]then set the Sub X-Over to 240 to 'get it out of the way'. [/quote]
you mean...turn the knob on the sub to 240?

set the phase switch for Max SPL
what does that mean? Turn it to 0 or 180?

Thanks a lot for your insight.

Dustin Wind

Stunt Coordinator
One more thing....

On the back of my sub it goes from 40HZ to 120HZ.....not 240HZ like i thought.

On my Kardon 325 the settings go from 40HZ to 240HZ.

Hope this helps with any suggestions.

quyen_nguyen

Auditioning
Hi Dustin
Here some info may help to set up your subwoofer.

1. Phase switch to 0 degree (or in phase). If you set up the phase switch to 180degree, you subwoofer will be half (???) cycle behind the rest of the speakers.

2. You should check the frequency response of your main speaker, if your main speakers are from 80hz to 20Khz, then set your sub xover switch to "internal xover" and set the xover knob at 80hz.
If xover set to direct, than you can not control the xover control of the subwoofer, then the frequency response of the subwoofer now should be 200hz and below, so you have to use your receiver to control xover of the sub.

Good luck

PaulT

Supporting Actor
I would have to disagree with statement #2.

Since you will probably have your receivers X-Over set to 80Hz (your HK should do a better job than the X-Over in the sub, plus it can be adjusted in the receiver instead of getting up and twisting the knob on the sub should you want to change things), there is no reason to use the X-Over in the sub.

If you use the HK as the X-Over, then disable the X-Over on the Sub with whatever the manual says to set the switch to, and/or set the X-Over frequency on the Sub to Max (highest number) as has been posted earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation483
Recent bookmarks