What's new

Vega Uneven Brightness (1 Viewer)

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
I've had my Vega for a few months now and ever since I got it I've noticed that parts of the screen are brighter than others. Its not that bad, and I only notice when the TV is displaying all black but it is annoying and distracting regardless. Any way to fix this?

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
Wegas have many common issues, one of which is uneven brightness across the screen. You could have a technician come out and take a look at it, but in my experience, Sony repair techs know less about the TV than most enthusiasts do. I have a dark stripe down the left-hand side of the screen that's only noticeable when the screen is all black and the lights are down low. I don't really notice it much anymore, sort of like the minor geometry problems.

Sony hasn't perfected the technology yet, so owning a Wega means getting accustomed to its various quirks. I think the positive aspects of the set outweigh the problems though.

JasonRH

Second Unit
Mark,
You can go into the service menu and drop the value of the SBRT parameter a few notches - some people have reported that it lessens the problem, though it may still be noticeable.

Do you already have the set calibrated with the AVIA disc or a similar calibration disc? That would help a lot.

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
I have a 36FS17

Working in the service menu makes me a little nervous, this is a $1300 television, I'm worried I might mess it up.

I have no calibrated using Avia or VE, but have done the THX Optimode calibrations on the Fight Club DVD.

Jay, what you described sounds EXACTLY like my problem.

Jonny R

Agent
Have a similar problem. My 27FS100 has some uneven brightness in the upper left corner(mostly), Looks brighter during dark scenes or black. Bright scenes, don't notice it.

Problem was just with the top black bar, bottom is perfect. Watched Black Hawk Down in squeeze mode and saw the bar colors were uneven. Since it's black with words in the beginning it was easy to spot. I lowered the brightness a few notches until it was barely noticeable. Problem fixed.

But the brightness maybe a tad too low, (according to THX Optimiser it should be even lower.) With Dark indoor or night scenes, some dark shadows appear black. Played with Color temp, made no difference so kept it on "warm". Not a big problem. Playing Cable TV on Standard is fine.

Should I get VE or whatever.

sang

Auditioning
I actually have the opposite effect on my 27FS13: I have gray lines on running vertically on either side of the screen that is only noticeable on bright scenes. Also, when I look at my tv screen (tv is off) in a bright room, the screen appears a lighter gray in the centre and darker all around the edges - it looks like there is a centre "hole" that is lighter. Does anyone know if this is normal?

DanielSmi

Second Unit
I have a similiar problem I have a slight reddish stripe along the right side of my TV. It looks red in dark backgrounds and looks blueish in white-like images. I thought it might be interference with my equipment since they are also on the right side of the tv.

Daniel Smith

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
I had the same problem with my XBR. The SBRT fix that Jason mentioned helps out quite a bit. I got mine down to where you almost dont see it at all. For what I have read though to completely get rid of the problem something on the circuit board must be replaced.

Andy Kim

Second Unit
I find the SBRT adjustment is not a fix at all.
Turning it down a few notches does get rid of it but it has the same effect as basically turning down your brightness control which you can do in the regular menu rather than the service menu.

If you were to turn down the SBRT a couple of notches and go back and recalibrate, you would now have to turn up the brightness control higher which again makes the uneven brightness problem visible.

I have the same exact problem with my new KV32FV300. I have 2 wide dark strips when then display is all black. I also did the SBRT "fix" and agree 100% with Andy. There has got to be another way. I really don't want some idiot "tech" with minimal knowledge to come and violate my set. :angry:

JasonRH

Second Unit
You guys are right about SBRT not really being a "fix". It did, however, lessen the effect on my set, even after re-calibrating. This leads me to believe it has at least a slightly different effect than the standard brightness control in the user menu. I may be imagining things though:)

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
I don't know if SBRT is the same as the Brightness, but there is a UBRT control on my Wega (XBR450) that seems to perform the same effect as the Brightness control on the menu...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks