International VEG/Shock's "Hollywood Gold" series upgrades titles to Blu (Australia)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by classicmovieguy, Jul 1, 2013.

1. trajan

trajan Screenwriter

Does the TODD-AO credit appear in the titles?

2. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    Trajan,
    There is NO TODD-AO credit in the Doctor Dolittle titles.
    So it's obviously from a 35mm source which worries me because it looks closer to 2.20 than 2.35, but then again maybe I'm mistaken about the ratio.

It is however region free as it played perfectly on my Sony region 1 Blu-ray player.

3. atfree

atfree Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alex
    I'm very perplexed by these releases. I ordered "Lifeboat" via Amazon UK as the listing had it as "all regions". When it arrived, the case was clearly labeled as Region B only. However, it played fine in my Panny blu-ray player which I've verified is NOT a region free player. I've seen these releases (Journey to the Centre of the Earth, etc) listed on websites in both "Region Free" and "Region B Only". Very confusing since the Lifeboat blu played fine for me and I've read other people's (Trajan, above) statements that other titles play fine on Region 1 players. I've ordered "The Devil's Brigade" via JBHIFI, playing a hunch that MAYBE it will be region-free as well. If not, I'll be selling it on Ebay. :)

4. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    Technically they are listed and marked as Region B, but I wouldn't be surprised if most were in fact region-free.

5. atfree

atfree Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alex
    Received the "The Devil's Brigade" over the weekend. Just like "Lifeboat", both disc and case marked Region B but played perfectly in my Region A player. Based on these 2 purchases, I'm going on the assumption all these are actually region-free and ordering "Journey to the Center of the Earth" asap.

6. TheSteig

TheSteig Supporting Actor

David
    Any reviews of Midnight Lace ?

7. classicscaper

Jacob Schmidt
    I'm curious as well to see how the blu-ray of Midnight Lace turned out, especially with the TCM DVD coming. I'd much rather invest in the blu-ray, assuming it's a good transfer.

8. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    I have "Midnight Lace". Looks crisp, a lot of grain, not a huge leap from DVD but a very respectable disc.

9. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    New titles announced for April 30th (no artwork yet):

* 12 Angry Men
    * Judgement at Nuremberg

10. Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF Supporting Actor

Wasn't there a rumor of Man in the Grey Flannel Suit coming out from this company?

11. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    Merely a rumour. They have the title out on DVD, but not sure if a Blu-ray is on the cards. Most of the titles they have released have been out in Europe first, so I think they outsource their HD masters.

12. Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF Supporting Actor

Disappointing to hear but thanks for that.

13. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    Also set for April 30:

* Inherit the Wind

14. Brian McP

Brian McP Second Unit

Brian
    I know this group reissued "Marty" in recent years -- considering Ernest Borgnine's following down here, any chance this picture could get the bluray treatment from Visual Entertainment Group/Shock Records as well?

15. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    I don't know... Unless this title is out on HD somewhere else, maybe not. So far all the releases have been titles that have been out in Europe first.

16. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Until discovering this thread, I hadn't been aware of these Australian Blus. There are a lot of great titles that I'm interested in. What I am gleaning from the comments posted so far is that even though they are labeled as region B, people are discovering that they are in fact not region-locked? Since Amazon's Australian site doesn't carry movies, where is the best place to order that will ship to the US and which sites are the most econimical?

17. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    JB HiFi would be your best bet. The titles are also for sale via the label's in-house retail partner screenpop.com.au, but I'm not 100% sure they ship internationally. They do accept PayPal though.

18. Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal Screenwriter

Koroush Ghazi
    Actually I recall that I helped make you aware of at least one of them a while ago - Man of the West in this thread :)

Now that I have a Region Free player, which can switch between Region A and Region B/C modes, I can confirm 100% that Man of the West is definitely playable without any problems in standard Region A mode. This is despite the fact that the case shows a Region B symbol on it. All the feedback I've seen about the other titles in this series indicate that they are all region free too.

As Byron says, the best method for getting them is to order online via JB Hifi here:

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/

They do ship internationally - during checkout you can select the country at the bottom, and it shows the calculated shipping charges. For example, to ship 5 Blu-rays to the US, it costs $18.35. Given the Australian dollar is current worth 92c US, that works out to be around $17. The website is reasonably intuitive, so give it a whirl for yourself.

19. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Whoops, am I ever busted! I don't know how I managed to forget about that. JB Hi-Fi does appear to be a fairly economical way to import the titles. I'd like to get Man of the West, Lifeboat, Journey to the Centre [sic] of the Earth, along with Splash, Quiz Show, and While You Were Sleeping. It would all come out to about $15.75 USD per movie. Unfortunately JB Hi-Fi doesn't appear to carry the Blu-rays of The Unforgiven or Midnight Lace.
    Thanks so much for the tip!

20. Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal Screenwriter

Koroush Ghazi
    You can find The Unforgiven and Midnight Lace Blu-rays at another retailer we have here called Ezydvd:

The Unforgiven

Midnight Lace

Unfortunately they seem to take 7-10 days to ship, and they also seem to charge a bit more for international shipping. But they do sell these Hollywood Gold BDs at a slightly lower price ($11.98 vs. $13.98). You might want to rack up a cart full of the movies you want at Ezydvd and compare the total cost to JB, as it might work out cheaper.

Just a caveat though that JB is by far the more popular seller, and usually has the best deals and the quickest turnaround times. I've used their online ordering system several times in the past and haven't had a problem. I've never used Ezydvd before so I can't personally vouch for them, but they are reasonably reputable so it shouldn't make a huge difference.