What's new

Vcr Problem (1 Viewer)

john waring

Agent
Hi experts, I have an older VCR made by Hitachi. It is a HI-FI stero model and is approximately 8-10 years old I think. I have never had a problem with it till now. It is eating up every tape I put in. Do any of you know what causes this problem ? Is it a broken piece or does it just need a good cleaning. I really want to keep it . Ran great till now. Any info much appreciated. John

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
The most common causes for this problem are:
Bad tape load belt
Bad idler wheel
Bad Mode Switch
The first thing to do, if you're not afraid to muck around inside your VCR, is to change the belts. Belts are available in "kits" for various model VCRs, or in generic kits with a bunch of common belt sizes. You can find belt kits at small electronics / repair shops - or do a search on the web. Often, a model-specific belt kit will come with an idler wheel. Kits are usually in the $15 - $25 range.
If you change one belt, you may as well change them all. Once you're inside, it doesn't take much extra time. Even if you can't see anything wrong with the belts, after 8 - 10 years they will tend to "glaze" and become slippery - and not do their job.
The idler is usually easy to replace - it's held in place with a small E clip.
I would try changing the belts, and see what happens. Beyond that, with current HiFi VCR prices, it's usually not worth your time or money for parts. (Mode switches can go for up to $40, depending on the VCR).
An excellent site for do-it-yourself troubleshooting and repair techniques:
http://www.repairfaq.org/
Good luck.
-Scott

john waring

Agent
Hey Scott , Thank you for the great info. Great to get a response so fast and it sounds like you know what your talkin about. Thx again. John

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Maybe this is the time to get a new one. I usually works for me. New vcr w/ S-VHS recording ability (I have two) will look so great in your system:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks