Various thoughts about NEWS from the WB Chat!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeff_HR, Apr 22, 2003.

1. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

People... Valley Of The Gwangi is coming in October. What more do you want!? [​IMG]

Great chat, but I forgot to ask about O Lucky Man

2. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I thought the chat was real good. Even though the Flash tv series is not being considered. [​IMG]
    I am glad people mentioned Batman animated. Now granted I missed the second hour. But, hopefully if they see that their is a lot of demand by adults for the show they will put a little more pressure on the family division to get moving.

Ron, any other studio chats in the works? Fox,Paramount? [​IMG]

3. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    We talked to Fox a few months back -- but hey,
    any time Mr. Staddon wants to come back, he is
    more than welcome. I love holding chats with
    that man.

Keep trying to get Paramount to the table,
    but I think they feel they have nothing to say.

With all respect to the studio, Paramount never
    leaks out anything. I think that you guys would
    ultimately be disappointed by the "no comment"
    answers you would receive.

Universal talks to no-one. They don't do interviews.

MGM may be the next best bet. I'll talk to them
    about coming aboard.

Have also extended invites to Anchor Bay, but they
    never get back to me.

4. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

5. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

Warner has improved.

Just let go...of the SNAPPER.

New Line, HBO etc. all have.

6. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

7. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

Just read the transcript and it definitely seemed like an excellent chat. Too many pleasant surprises to list, really. Disappointed that Point Blank apparently isn't being considered. I've had hopes for that one for awhile.

I don't mind that people kept chiming in on Batman: Animated, at least. I can sympathize that it would get annoying after the question had already been handled but I think animation fans have a tendency to feel like they need to really scratch and claw to get even an adequate representation of that medium on home entertainment formats [​IMG]

8. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

Glad to see more Hitchcock coming...but was really upsets, though is pleasing, is the long as hell wait it will seem to get to 2004 for the Marx Brothers releases...but at least I know that they will do them right.[​IMG]

We were out last night at a concert so neither one of us were home for the chat, but would have loved to have been there to ask them about "Caged."[​IMG]

9. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

What a great chat, and what a great lineup. If even half of what they've promised for 2003 and 2004 comes true, Warner will have gone from zeroes to heroes in my book.

Although the questions on Dark Shadows were a little repetitive, it's good that we made them aware that Night of Dark Shadows has been restored (Warner, if you're reading, you need to talk to Dan Curtis Prod. & Darren Gross, who has been carrying the torch on this restoration project), which they were apparently in the dark about, and also to make them aware that there is BIG demand for these films. MPI is merrily releasing the entire 5-year run of the daily series on DVD, so there is clearly a profitable fan base out there.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Oh, and FREAKS and Lon Chaney and Val Lewton??? I think I may have died & gone to heaven.

10. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

11. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot
    Rats...no mention of A Face in the Crowd.

Does WB still have this? I wish I could have been there to ask about it.

Joel

12. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

"LOTS of feedback about Batman:TAS means that they will surely look into this..."

Very disappointing that there are no plans for Batman TAS by season [​IMG] [​IMG]

I hope they change their minds. This 5 episodes a year stuff just isnt cutting it.

Season boxsets would make them a fortune.

I HOPE we get Blade Runner,The Hunger and Goodfellas SEs this year and not next.

13. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I know how you feel Joel; I too would like to know the status of this title. It due for region 2 release last year, but it was pulled. I'm not sure if Warner own the British rights though.

Gordy

14. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

15. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

16. Richard Waller

Richard Waller Second Unit

I was very glad to hear about the Hitchcock, Marx Brothers and Tom & Jerry releases next year. I'm also glad that "uncut" was included as part of their response for T&J. [​IMG]

The best news was about Looney Tunes. I am glad they are aiming those at animation fans.

17. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Can't wait for the Looney Tunes sets, Casablanca, and several others mentioned.

I did find the response regarding determination of which titles include DTS rather flip, however: "That's easy, none of them do." That really seems to point more to some sort of internal spat with the DTS folks than any concerns about quality or the consumer.

Perhaps the reason CATS DON'T DANCE didn't sell well was because it was pan-and-scan only. It's such a shame animation is seen as solely the domain of the WB Family division. There is a HUGE adult fanbase for animation, but we never get any consideration. Everything's aimed at the drooling rugrats.

Good news about "A Christmas Story" though. [​IMG]

I, too, was discouraged with the repeated queries about the same titles (i.e. Dark Shadows, Batman, Superman). Is it possible for someone to preview the questions on future chats so we can avoid the time-wasting duplication?

18. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

To follow up a bit from my opening statement. Some news about TV mini-series would have nice. I was hoping for info about the "North and South" series & more about "The Thorn Birds". I would have liked any info about "King Kong". Maybe some titles under consideration from the Cagney, Flynn & Bogart libraries. I'm glad WB loves Bette Davis. But I would have preferred that they love her enough that she could have been a little higher in their list for releases of catalog titles from her peak years. Maybe if enough people ask about her she might get moved up a bit, seeing as she would draw both women & men buyers[​IMG]. I figure that "The Beast From 20000 Fathoms" & "The Black Scorpion" will fairly bare bones DVDs. But I'd love to see "Freaks" get a bit more in the way of extras, since it is a more significant film than the two Sci-Fi titles I just mentioned. Kudos to WB for having the guts in this day & age to release "Freaks". I had about 10 questions prepared for the chat & only one got asked before my Bette question(The "Freaks" question). It was hard to prioritize my list. I wish someone had asked about "The Spirit of St. Louis". That film really deserves a release. There are a couple of smaller films that I'd have liked info about, "Crossing Delancey" & "Clara's Heart". I guess I'll have to make due with my LDs. In their mentioning of swashbucklers I did not see any reference to "Ivanhoe", which I guess may fall into that category.

Probably the biggest disappointment was that there was very little if any info about the older M-G-M catalog titles other than Flynn & Davis. The following are some examples of films that I'd have liked info about:

Madame Curie
    Random Harvest
    Mrs Miniver
    San Francisco
    The Picture of Dorian Gray - with color inserts intact
    Gaslight
    The Great Ziegfeld
    Red Dust
    A Tale of Two Cities
    The Good Earth

And a personal favorite of mine, the Johnny Weismuller "Tarzan" films.

There was a lot of great info, but just not as great as I wanted. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

20. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

Read the transcript!

The positives for me are that they are expecting to release GREYSTOKE and WYATT EARP in 2004, the Hitchcock promotion in '04 and EAST OF EDEN!

The negatives for me are: NO DTS, more snappers and a slower than I expected release schedule, continue 384DD (which makes no sense to me)!

David