What's new

VANISHED - ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

MattHR

Screenwriter

That's the problem with Harold's acting on this show: He is playing the character as "Brian" (from QaF.) That cocky arrogance worked in QaF, but doesn't work in this environment. During the whole show, I couldn't help but thinking I was watching "Brian with a badge." As much as I liked the show's premise, I don't see it lasting.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Wow, we're getting awfully dismissive after viewing one episode, aren't we? How many shows are perfect from episode 1?

I thought this was better than Kidnapped.

Don S

Stunt Coordinator
Harold's acting on this show: horrible. It seemed like the dialogue was so forced. It is only 1 show, but still. The first question to a senator "Were you sleeping with anyone else?" ? Come on ... He is annoying in a bad way ..

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

I liked that line since it went ahead and got that out of the way when it's pretty obvious that many would assume that another woman was involved.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
Here is a copy of the letter I sent FOX and my local FOX affiliate:

Hello, Fox.
I've seen the ads and read up on Vanished, and this seems like exactly the sort of program I would enjoy.
I really like the shows that have season-long storylines, such as Prison Break and 24.

Unfortunately for both you and me, I will not be watching Vanished, because you screwed me over with Reunion last season.
My intention is to abstain from watching all such new shows that air on Fox.

I will, of course, continue to enjoy 24, Prison Break, Simpsons, Family Guy, The Loop, and King of the Hill, and am looking forward to evaluating 'Til Death, Happy Hour and The Winner.

If it's any consolation, NBC will be receiving the same treatment from me due to their premature cancellation of Heist.

Sincerely,
Misha Lauenstein

Unlike those inane boycotts people are always launching, like "I won't watch FOX ever again! Who's with me?" nonsense, I believe this is a boycott I can stick to for many many years to come. I will of course send an e-mail to FOX each fall letting them know of their financial loss due to their earlier behaviour.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Personally, I don't think you're missing too much with Vanished. The commercials intrigued me, but for a show that's supposed to be a thriller, this has been a major bore so far. I'm going to give it one last chance on Monday, but after that I'm done with it.

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood

While that's cool and I respect your decision, but even though you and your household won't be watched Vanished, someone else will. Reunion got more or less screwed over after the second episode, then when baseball post-season kicked in that really did it in, that and personally I thought it was boring.
Fox will most likely not care that they are loosing whatever "money" one person/household is bringing to the table. They will care when the overall viewship of a certain show goes down, which it sounds like it is. And if you are going to keep watching 24, Simpsons and so forth, then they've still accomplished what they've set out to do, which is after all, maintaining viewership.
Remember though it's Fox, the show will be off the air by episode 6, unless more than 20 million people tune in each week.
As a general rule, I don't think Fox has faith in any of their projects, they wait it out and see what happens. Though they did show considerable appreciation to us Arrested Development fans, that show could've gotten canceled far earlier than it it.

Anyway I'm liking Vanished, it's not the fastest moving show, but neither was the first season of 24, which I skipped all of and watched the season finale and I thought the same thing about Prison Break and Firefly, but I've grown to absolutely love all three shows. I'm intrigued to see where the Freemason thing will go. The V and the A in the titled get overlaped to make the Freemason logo, rough version anyway.
I can't stand Rebecca Gayheart though, ug, she's not the best actress and I don't think she's that good looking, Ellen Muth who played George on Dead Like Me (with Rebecca) was better looking I thought and a far better actress. But to each his own, but her character reminds me of Gale Weathers/Courtney Cox from Scream.

And yes I agree that John Allen Nelson looks and sounds like a young Victor Garber, even though John's only 10 years younger than Victor. I was only listening to the show during the premiere and I thought it was Garber, then I realized it was Walt Cummings. heh.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Looks like Monday nights on Fox is where the former male leads from "Invasion" have landed. Eddie Cibrian will join the cast of Vanished in the 6th episode as another FBI agent on the case (just in time to go on hiatus at the end of September, probably due to the baseball playoffs).

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I hated when the Esai Morales character said the car was headed on "The 20." No one besides Southern Californians say that. We would say "I-20."

Plus, Rebecca (or the writers) screwed up again. The senator doesn't live in "Buckhead, GA" (that's a tiny town about 70 miles east of here on I-20) but the Buckhead section/neighborhood of Atlanta.

If you're going to write about a place at least try to get the details right.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I've been quite clear in earlier posts that I was not a fan of the first two episodes, but the third won me back somewhat, and I definitely will continue to give it more of a chance.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Dammit! I had company over last night and I forgot the show was on. Is it going to be repeated this week?

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Okay, I've watched three episodes, and have finally decided that this series is not for me. The writing is moribund, and I don't particularly like any of the actors. The final straw was the old "FBI never bothers to check underground" plot conceit. Either that or the "evil distorted phone voice". My sister tells me she's waiting for the "da Vinci Code plotline to be revealed"; I don't have that sort of patience! :frowning:

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Man, skip Vanished because it's not very good, not because of your perception of whether Fox was fair or not to another show a year ago. That's just cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I think that this show is on its way up after a slow start. The first two episodes had me completely uninterested but the last two are much better.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I have considered dropping this show when Heroes premiered, but last night's episode have me reconsider.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I must say that i'm with Misha, i'm very reluctant to allow FOX to pull me into yet another disappointment by making me care about another season-long plot and then cancelling it without a resolution.

That said, I have watched the first 3 eps and the show is a little too frenetic for my taste, it moves too fast for me and I quite frankly don't really care if they ever find this woman. Although, it is great to see John Allen Nelson again, us nerds know him best from such 80's films Hunk and Killer Klowns from Outer Space. :)

As for Vanished, it's about to pull a disappearing act from my recording schedual, not for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks