What's new

VANISHED - ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

MarcoAD

Stunt Coordinator
Synopsis:
The wife of a Georgia Senator has vanished. The search for her unravels a prominent family and exposes evidence that could rock the foundations of American Society.

Watch the new show that combines the investigative twists and turns of CSI, the nonstop pace and tension of 24 and the scope of The Da Vinci Code.

Vanished Website
-------------------

I think they are aiming high with there "24", "CSI" & "The Da Vinci Code" claims but the previews have looked interesting so I figured I'd start a post on it to see who else is going to give this a shot and to discuss it after it airs. Should get a good lead in from "Prison Break".

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
"Vanished" - I didn't much like the lead FBI agent on the case of a kidnapped senator's wife (the senator was played by the guy who was Walt Cummings on "24" last season), and Ming-Na isn't all that convincing as a FBI agent welding a gun on a bust-in. Rebecca Gayheart plays the reporter on the story, and she did stumble on the pronunciation of "Chamblee" (she said "Shum-blee", while most everyone in Atlanta says "SHAM-Blee"), and it didn't dawn on me that the show was taking place in Atlanta until the end of the pilot, though the kidnapping supposed occurred at the Biltmore hotel in downtown Atlanta. As the title suggests, the kidnapping seems to be more of a smokescreen for the senator's wife to vanish (and appears to have done so over a decade ago as another person). I didn't find this show all that compelling, certainly not as compelling as "Kidnapped" and probably won't keep up with it when it airs in the fall.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
To be honest, the first episode of "24" back in 2001 had its flaws.

I didn't buy Kiefer Sutherland as a family man. I thought Kim was downright annoying. I couldn't imagine where the show was going and if I'd want to follow.

Five seasons later, "24" is my favorite show.

I'll give it a chance...at least for a few episodes...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, it definitely helps that Fox is showing it in August to get a headstart on the Fall season (mainly because Fox has to broadcast a lot of playoff games for baseball in September and October which pre-empts a lot of their regular TV schedule). I'll get to sample a few episode of the Fox shows before the rest of the fall season starts in September and decide if I want to keep up with them when they return later in October/November.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I don't know about this, I thought it was kind of boring. I'll give it more of a chance, but not much caught my eye so far.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Ack, I cringed when Rebecca Gayheart pronounced "Chamblee." There were some really good shots of the city, though. Patrick, did you recognize where they were when they were checking out that ATM?

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
who wants to bet if this show finds it's audience that the media is going to do the same thing to Gale Harold (who served five seasons as the star of Queer As Folk) that they did to Wentworth Miller (who I knew of from Buffy, Popular and Dinotopia years before Prison Break and Mariah Carey's videos) and Julian McMahon (who I knew from Profiler and Charmed long before Nip/Tuck) by acting like he's a "fresh new star"

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I enjoyed the Pilot, but as Patrick said, not as compelling as Kidnapped.

The problem that I see with both shows, is a bunch of filler episodes and a bunch of "come on" moments. I lost patience with Prison Break last season, and stopped watching halfway.

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator
It was a lot of fun to see Atlanta looking so slick and high-tech. The flyover shots were great, but I agree, I really didn't like the lead FBI guy, or anyone else much. The story is somewhat compelling, but it will be hard to stay devoted to a show without likable characters.

BennyD

Stunt Coordinator
The pilot was decent. Good cinematography and Rebecca Gayheart in a thong (yummy!). However, the lead investigators acting is atrocious (very stiff). Overall, I'll watch the next episode or two and see if it grabs me, but I doubt it'll make any sort of decent run. At least we have MNF.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't know how to pronounce Chamblee, but maybe the character is not from the area, so she wouldn't speak like a native. Or maybe her pronunciation is a CLUE to the mystery.

Does anyone on Boston Legal have a Boston accent?

Jean-Luc Picard is from France, yet has a British accent. Please explain.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I'm disheartened at the consensus on this and another board. I want this to be a big hit because I need my Gale fix! I've been waiting so long!

I thought the show has potential.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

I think Gale Harold is a very good actor. On Queer As Folk, he made the audience love a completely unlikable character.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

But the lead actor lived most his life here and the guy playing the senator lived here for quite a while. It seems like someone could have given her a heads up.

Patrick, the question I asked about the ATM:

I read in the paper that they filmed that in Madison even though it was supposed to be Covington.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I would have no idea where they shot the ATM scene, but I'll take another look at it tonight, but nothing jumped out at me when the ATM scene occurred.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
I enjoyed it, I guess. It was entertaining, but I don't know if it's going to keep me hooked for the whole season. Part of the problem for me was that you only knew the kidnapped woman for like five minutes, so you don't care about her even a little bit, so why care that she was kidnapped.

I liked the guy that plays the senator a lot (he reminds me of Jack Bristow in a weird way), and Gale Harold is very pretty. I hope that this works out its a nice show to follow Prison Break, but I'm not totally sold yet.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
"Vanished" was just "okay"...

Nothing spectacular. It might improve as we go along.

It really makes me appreciate "24"...

I can't put my finger on what exactly is wrong with "Vanished"...I don't particularly like the characters...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks