What's new

Valley of the Dolls (1967) in Hi-Def! Where's the DVD?? (1 Viewer)

John Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Gilmore
I was looking at the InHd movie listings for June and noticed that they are showing Valley of the Dolls this month. So, my question is simple: if Fox has already done a (presumably) widescreen hi-def transfer of the film, then where is the DVD?

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I've found that when a film shows up on cable with a decent new transfer that it's only a matter of time before it's released on dvd. I'd bet my left arm that this will be the case with VOTD. Fun, campy film.

Brian W

Stunt Coordinator
Great news, show times are inconvenient to say the least. Figures, I am paying for the only 7 HD channels available to me so far, INHD is one. But when ever I sit down in the evening...nothing, and no way to record in HD yet...

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I would image it would be released this year, being the 35th Anniversary of the death of Sharon Tate.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
It may be released to coincide with Russ Meyer's Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, which Fox has said was licensed to Criterion. I suspect we'll see an Ebert commentary on that one.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Dionne Warwick's theme song for Valley of the Dolls is very beautiful. I was putting together a Burt Bacharach CD compilation recently and had to include it even though it's not a Bacharach song.

Eric F

Screenwriter
So what about a crappy new transfer? SHO showed Trapeze in OAR HD this week and there's no DVD out as yet. Only thing, the transfer was awful- loads of dirt and scratches- almost unwatchable.

I can't see them putting out a DVD with that transfer.

John Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Gilmore
Thanks for the responses, folks.

FWIW, I watched part of the HD broadcast of Valley of the Dolls on InHD the other day...clear, crisp, vivid transfer, but this 2.35:1 Panavision film was recomposed to fill the 16:9 HD frame. Uggggggh! :angry: :angry: :angry:

John Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Gilmore
Thanks for the responses, folks.

FWIW, I watched part of the HD broadcast of Valley of the Dolls on InHD the other day...clear, crisp, vivid transfer, but this 2.35:1 Panavision film was recomposed to fill the 16:9 HD frame. Uggggggh! :angry: :angry: :angry:

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I don't know how many watch Ebert & Roeper but on today's episode the question come up about when Beyond the Valley of the Dolls would be on DVD.
Ebert said that he has recorded a commentary for it and that Criterion would be releasing it sometime next year.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Well, do let's give credit where credit is due - it's not "Dionne Warwick's" song; she is the singer. As you say, it's not a Bacharach song. It's by Andre Previn with a lyric by Dory Previn, as are all the songs in VOTD.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
There are many releases from Fox and other studios that certain members ask for time and again, that ultimately would be unprofitable for their respective studios (Paramount's release of HALF A SIXPENCE probably didn't recoup half its costs based on the less than 3000 units sold so far according to my gal pal at VideoScan).

However VALLEY OF THE DOLLS is such a widely-adored camp classic, that Fox is leaving money on the table (big time!) by not making this film available on DVD.

It was out of print on VHS for years, and when they finally reissued it on VHS, sales were very impressive.

They will be impressive again, if Fox is savvy enough to realize it.

It would be a winner.:wink:

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Fox Movie Channel has been playing it pretty steadily during the last month or so. I still say a dvd isn't far off.

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor

What??!! So is it YOU that should have the power to say something is a classic or not? I find Valley of the Dolls a classic.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Well, a classic bad movie. It's infinitely entertaining, even if it's in ways that were not meant by the studio.

I'M NEELEY O'HARA!!!!!!!!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
C'mon, guys be realistic. I'm dying for a Valley Of The Dolls DVD but even its die hard fans wouldn't dare call it a classic unless you mean camp classic.

Even VOTD's author Jacqueline Susann hated it and Patty Duke is pretty much embarassed by it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks