What's new

Using Yamaha DSP-A1 with Blu-Ray player ???? (1 Viewer)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Hey Pete,
Even though the DSP-A1 has seven channels, technically it is a 5.1 channel unit. The two extra channels are for Yamaha’s proprietary soundfield processing, so you won’t get a 7.1 light from it.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

lobo muadeab

Auditioning
Real Name
Pete
Hay Wayne
Thank you very much. So i guss i just hook up the av jacks lift and right, thats all . I wasn't sure. the oppo 83se has so many anolg audio out puts. that it through me. how ever if there is a better way to hook it please let me know.
again thank you
Pete

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Should have mentioned, the DSP-A1 won’t pass any hi-def video signals, so you should send either component video or HDMI from the Oppo directly to the TV. Your blu-ray will look more like a regular DVD player if you pass video through the A1.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

lobo muadeab

Auditioning
Real Name
Pete
Thanks the unit is working very well. Moves look grate. The sound is good. But i can’t seem to be able to get the surround sound. Everything seems to be in stereo. I have no separation. Can anyone give me some info on how to set my dsp a1 to give me the 5.1 surround sound with my oppo se83.

lobo muadeab

Auditioning
Real Name
Pete
Thanks the unit is working very well. Moves look grate. The sound is good. But i can’t seem to be able to get the surround sound. Everything seems to be in stereo. I have no separation. Can anyone give me some info on how to set my dsp a1 to give me the 5.1 surround sound with my oppo se83.

lobo muadeab

Auditioning
Real Name
Pete

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
  • Make sure the Oppo had Dolby Digital engaged in its menu; that’s probably the problem.
  • Connect the Oppo to the Yamaha via a digital cable – optical or coaxial.
  • Engage one of the Yamaha’s Movie soundfields.

You should be good to go.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

daveeeeee

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave Enrietto
I have a Yamaha DSP-A1 for sale. There isn't anything wrong with it, I am getting a new Yamaha Aventage. I have the original box, manual and remote. Please contact my at
d a v e e 7 8 4 @austin.rr.com. Please remove all of the spaces from the email address. I already get more than my fair share of spam.... : P

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Dave,

Welcome to the forum!

We have a For Sale area for offers like this. I suggest you enter it there.
People won't react to this one, and are not advised to do so.

Cees

Milinda Dharmasena

Auditioning
Hi Guys, You can use a simple and inexpensive 4x1 HDMI v1.4 Switch With Ethernet, 3D Support and a Optical Output to upgrade your Yamaha DSP-A1 to work hand in hand with modern day Electronic AV Equipment. The HDMI Switch enables you to connect multiple (4) HDMI sources with a single HDMI TV. The 7.1 channel audio signal can be sent to the AV receiver through the SPDIF/COAX output using a Optical/ COAX cable. The Audio Return Channel: Allows you to connect an HDMI TV to an audio receiver via HDMI. This allows you to send audio from your TV to the receiver "upstream" without giving up the "downstream" video from a video source connected to your receiver (like from a Blu-Ray player or gaming console)

Check out the following link to find more details.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005XB17GM/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Milinda

Z

ZALTA999

Jarrod said:
Does the -995 have a 5.1 analog input? I've got one of those in a closet somewhere. I didn't remember it having this feature.Hi,شركة نقل العفش شركات تغليف ونقل الاثاث بالرياض شركة تنظيف بيوت تخزين اثاث الطب البديل الجن الطاقة الشيطان Personal Branding شركة تنظيف خزانات تنظيف خزانات ابواب وشبابيك شركات سياحة السياحة فى تركيا رحلات تركيا من مصر شركة جلي بلاط تنظيف بيوت تنظيف المسابح بالرياض شركة تنظيف واجهات زجاج وحجر بالرياض مكافحة حشرات نقل اثاث تسليك مجارى على مودك نقل اثاث بالدمام شركات سياحية نقل اثاث بمكة نقل اثاث بجدة نقل اثاث بالمدينة المنورة نقل اثاث بالرياض نقل اثاث بالخبر شركات مكافحة الحشرات بالرياض كشف تسربات الماء مكافحة حشرات بمكة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام مكافحة حشرات بالمدينة المنورة مكافحة حشرات بجدة مكافحة حشرات بالخبر شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض شركة تنظيف شقق بالرياض شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض شركة تسليك مجارى بالرياض شركة تنظيف واجهات زجاج بالرياض شركة عزل خزانات بالرياض شركة تنظيف مسابح بالرياض شركة تنظيف خزانات بالرياض تخزين اثاث شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض
I'm one of the one's still using and enjoying my 10 years old Yamaha DSP-A1 (Flagship model in 1998). I've yet to switch over to Blu-ray but that will be changing very soon.I'm thinking of going with the Sony BDP-S550.Since my Yammy has no HDMI 1.3 connection, but does have 6.1 ch. inputs,will I still be able to take advantage of the HD high res codecs found on the BR discs? And if so, what is major difference between hearing the higher codecs either thru the hdmi connection or analog input connection?I've been out of the hT game awhile now , so I'm not on top of these issues like I use to be.Thanks for clarifying this for me,

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
ZALTA999 said:
I'm one of the one's still using and enjoying my 10 years old Yamaha DSP-A1 (Flagship model in 1998). I've yet to switch over to Blu-ray but that will be changing very soon.I'm thinking of going with the Sony BDP-S550.Since my Yammy has no HDMI 1.3 connection, but does have 6.1 ch. inputs,will I still be able to take advantage of the HD high res codecs found on the BR discs? And if so, what is major difference between hearing the higher codecs either thru the hdmi connection or analog input connection?I've been out of the hT game awhile now , so I'm not on top of these issues like I use to be.Thanks for clarifying this for me,
I can't tell any difference between having player decode and output analog 5.1 (or 7.1) or passing bitstream over HDMI and having amplifier decode. I have done that comparison using a Sony BDP-S550 and Yamaha RX-V663, a modest 2008 vintage AVR that can handle either option. I also can throw the third option into the mix, player decoding and outputting PCM over HDMI as resulting in no audible difference from the other two. About the only difference of significance is having player output bitstream and AVR decode results in whatever codec is used being identified by the front panel of the AVR. The AVR doesn't have a clue with the other options, it is all just PCM.

Certainly I can accept different (better) equipment could result in audible differences but for a home theater, I consider any of the various ways of handling the Blu-ray advanced audio codecs a great option. I have since sold the Sony BDP-S550 but I still use analog 5.1 from an Oppo BDP-80 to a Yamaha HTR-5490 in another system in house and that works great.

Users who are viewing this thread