What's new

Using my garage (1 Viewer)

pippin65

Auditioning
Real Name
thom
Hi all. I live in Florida and have recently purchased a three bedroom house. However I need four bedrooms. Doh! (My poor mom had a stroke and will live with me)My plan is to convert one of my two two car garages, which are under roof of dwelling, to a bedroom for my son AND a, drumroll, home theater/family room. Would love to here from good people who have done this and could offer me design and execution advice. For instance, especially for you Florida people-- pull a permit? And if so, does this mean architects and engineers? I have tremendous budget constraints and would like to do this over a period of a year or more-- but I do have to build kids bedroom posthaste. If I don't pull a permit what happens when I sell? Fines? Tear-outs?I am a handy guy and will do most, if not all by myself. Have access to hvac guy and an electrician. If you live in tampabay area and have practical experience in this- I wanna be your friend!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I don't care you live.

You claim anything for a "living space" and yes you need permits. One "code" out there is HVAC for the home cannot mix with garage. So you might even need to figure out a way to create a "real wall" between what you are claiming from a garage into living space. You have to do that if you plan on extending existing HVAC. Even if you did "another" furnace/AC unit...you still need to separate this "used to be a garage" from "still a garage".

This can be done...just follow generic codes. When you build a wall to keep "living space" from "garage space" that needs to be(here in Indiana) 5/8" drywall...minimum. All other walls can be 1/2".

pippin65

Auditioning
Real Name
thom
Schan1269 I see your points. I don't necessarily agree with the one about you not caring that I live, but the others offered some good insight; especially about the hvac. Ultimately I think I will go the permitted route because it will add great value to the home. I mean, I'm increasing my living area by 25% and that ain't too shabby.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My phone typoed...(hate typing on glass, Just now noticed)...Start at your county planning commission. If that is the department name used there.Meant...Don't care WHERE you live...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks