What's new

Using live sound speakers for home theater (1 Viewer)

t12njfg

Auditioning
Real Name
Neil Taylor
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge on using live sound speakers for a home theater setup. I used to DJ and have since lost interest and time in doing it, but I have all of my equipment including large speakers, subs, and amps. I was wondering if there is any way to use these in a home theater setup since they provide powerful sound, but I haven't been able to locate any threads that talk much about this. I have 2 JBL JRX115 speakers and 2 JBL JRX118 Subwoofers. Any ideas? Thanks!!

TheGary

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
There probably is a way, but you wouldn't want to. 1. Those speakers cannot reproduce the entire frequency range, severely limiting the top end. 2. Those speakers were made to be played LOUD, and probably won't sound as good softer. 3. You'll probably need gobs of amp power to play those. 4. How are you going to get sound to the speakers? Do you have a receiver with pre-outs? 5. They weren't designed to be used in a small room, but rather at concerts or clubs, so it'll probably distort and sound funny. Then again, I'm just assuming. But I just think it's more of a hassle, and that you should just get real HT speakers.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I concur with not using them as well. Their -3 range is 50hz to 12.5Khz. However, one of them would make(almost) one hell of a center speaker...

TheGary

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
But wouldn't his amp have speakon or XLR connectors and not regular speaker wire?

TheGary

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
schan1269 said:
What does that matter?
I'm just wondering how he would hook speakers up to his current amplifier when they do not have speaker wire terminals.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I edited the prior post. Simple. Cut the Speakon or 1/4 off the speaker end...use the bare wire after stripping it. Besides, his amps "might" have both binding posts and 1/4 or Speakon(with a switch).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Or if he buys binding post speakers... http://www.amazon.com/Speakon-Banana-Speaker-Cable-Adapter/dp/B008YGPYQW/ref=sr_1_14?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1359414165&sr=1-14&keywords=speakon+adapter http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-BNP116BK-Banana-Speaker-Adaptor/dp/B0010CEIH8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1359414229&sr=1-1&keywords=1%2F4+banana

t12njfg

Auditioning
Real Name
Neil Taylor
Interesting conversation here and I thank you for the responses. A lot of what I've gathered online seems to concur about the problems you've brought up on the range of the speakers. I have definitely thought about selling them to pay for a home theater essentially. Wanted to get some input from people on threads that aren't super old - (found a lot of forums with similar questions, though they were from 2006, 2009, etc and technology changes so quickly) @schan1269 - what pre-pro would you recommend, any in particular? Finally in a place and have the time to invest in setting up a home theater, thought I'd start by looking at audio/video equipment I have and seeing if any of it could be of any use! Thanks again for the help :)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, the pre-pro is dependent on your needs. An AVR with pre-outs if often less expensive than a pure pre-pro. Take the Yamaha RX-V667 from a couple years ago. That sold for(an unheard of at the time) $350 for over a month. Yamaha, the year the X67 "were current", lost an enormous amount of market share. They had so much stock left going into February, they dumped their prices in an alarming fashion. Since that year, and with the X71 and current X73, Yamaha fell back and let Onkyo run amok. You can find the RX-V667 for less than the concurrent Onkyo TX NR708. So, do you need 3D(HDMI 1.4)? If not, that opens you up to used stuff all the way back to 2007...provided what you find has enough HDMI(back then 2 HDMI was the norm). If you "must have new"...basically the best bang for the buck is the Onkyo NR709/717.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks