What's new

Using Klipsch VS14 as front speakers instead of surround speakers??? (1 Viewer)

TN09

Auditioning
Real Name
Trung Nghiem
I need some thoughts and feedback on a setup that I would like to do for my HT. Given my current budget, design and layout for my HT, here is my idea for my front (L & R) and center speaker. I saw a pair of Klipsch icon VS14 at BestBuy and I really like the way they sound and look. My idea was to use them as my front (left and right) and Klipsch RC-5211 for the center. The center speaker is pretty straight forward, it is just the VS14 that I need some feedback on.

On Klipsch website, they listed the VS14 as surround speakers. I on the other hand plan on using them as my front speakers. The design of the speaker would really fit into my HT and the sound is good enough for me when I was listening to them at the store. Any thoughts on using them as front speakers?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
It won't hurt anything to use them as mains. The problem is that they are made to dispurse sound (the angled tweeters). This works well for surround fill effects; but is not normally the desired approach for mains. The sound may eventually feel less crisp or full than what you might expect.

It sounds like you're starting with a 3.1 system. If you like the sound try them out, if you find yourself noticing what I decribed, move them to the surrounds and replace with one of their bookshelfs (maybe the WB4, which have similar styling), for a 5.1 system.

TN09

Auditioning
Real Name
Trung Nghiem
I am actually doing a 7.1, but I wanted to focus my attention to my main speakers since they carry the bulk of the load. Plus the way they look is also important to me. Since I will be mounting them on the wall.

I was going to go with in-wall speakers, but after hearing them at the store, they sound very hallow unless you pony up some serious cash. I really like some of the slim profile speakers that can be mounted on the wall (ex. Definitive Mythos) but these are way out of my budget.

Next best sounding speakers are bookshelves, plus they are within my budget. My only obstacle is I want to mount them on the wall without any kind of shelf. I included some pictures of my HT construction. So my window is very small when it comes to buying my main speakers for my HT. Most bookshelf speakers are very basic in shape (rectangle) box. There is no way my wife would let me mount rectangle boxes on a wall!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks