What's new

Using existing wiring (1 Viewer)

ToddG

Auditioning
I have a newer home that was wired for cable TV. It has a single cable feed into the basement where it is split out to most other rooms in the home. I now have a Mitsubishi 55807 and would like to change to the Dish network in order to receive HD broadcasts. Can I use a SW-44 or SW-64 switch to branch my satellite signal out to each room (3 TVs) as opposed to tearing my home apart in order to run a dedicated feed from the dish to each receiver? BTW - my current cable is RG-6, I doubt it is quad-shielded.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You have a couple of options but none are what you want to hear.
1. Mount your switches outside and pull two more lines into your basement. Use barrel connectors (instead of a splitter) to send each signal to each room.
2. Mount your switches inside and pull five more lines into your basement. The coax from each room will connect to a switch output.
3. There is are special boxes that will combine everything on to one line then split it out at each receiver. The box that mounts near the dish is about $300 and you need a $100 box for each receiver. Disclaimer: My prices are close to what I read about a month ago. It may only work with DirecTV. Your best bet will be to search atwww.avsforum.com in the HDTV hardware and the DBS sections from the last two months.
Using your existing RG6 will be just fine as long as it is a direct line from the basement to each room.
-Robert

ToddG

Auditioning
Robert,
thanks for the reply. I assume the total of 6 feeds represents two from each satellite. If the signal is going to be boosted to each room via the SW64, to I need to use satellite dishes with two outputs/satellite? Can I combine signals using a SW21 prior to going into the house?
Are there Dish retailers that are good at answering these questions. I've tried to order equipment from two different sources (dishdepot and dishusa, but neither seem to, or are willing to, discuss these issues. Seems strange to me.
Todd

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Todd,
There is no way to combine satellite signals on to one coax and split them out later (except using the boxes I previously mentioned). For the exact reason, see a recent message by Robert Fowkes. In it I posted a link to a technical article on how satellites/switches work. Your only choices are to have your switches outside and run 4 coax lines into your basement or mount your switches inside and run 6 coax lines into your basement.
If the coax running into your basement is not stapled to the inside of your wall, it should be really easy to run more. Use electrical tape and attach some nylon string to the cable in the basement. Go outside and pull gently. If it moves easily, it should pull the string along with it. Once the string is all the way outside, attach 3 more coax lines and pull the whole mess back through.
-Robert

ToddG

Auditioning
Thanks Robert,
I did, after posting my last message, see the other thread you referenced. Actually, my cable runs will be very easy. The best spot for me to put the dishes is on my garage. I'll be able to run the cable thru the garage roof, down the garage wall, thru the wall and into the basement right where my current cables converge. Given that, I'll pull the six cables to that spot and use the sw64 to branch to the existing individual room feeds. Now that I know what I need I can get started.
Thanks again,
Todd

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Todd,
It sounds like your installation is going to be very similar to mine. The only difference, as I see it, is that I will be mounting the two dishes on a pole on my property (you are mounting yours on your garage). Then, if I've got this correct, we are both going to feed six coaxial cables to the place where we are going to mount the SW64 switch inside.
Good luck.
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks