What's new

Using a CETON and 2 other tuners for 8 Tuners.. How to.. (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I ran into this same problem with SureWest (Everest). Here's what you have to do.
Call in or get their tech support on the line. Tell them your TA's need activated. They may say that they are... but they aren't. I've seen this happen for 3 different people, it's really common.
They'll send out a signal, and allow them. They will probably ask for the MAC off the bottom.

Most important factors:
DO NOT DAISY CHAIN THE TAs!!!! Under NO Circumstances go from the "OUT" on one TA to the "IN" on another!! This will cause this all to not work.
You really want a 3 way splitter before your media center, with one wire going to each TA (2) and the third going to your Cablecard. The "OUT" connector on the TAs should be / MUST BE empty/unused!!!
(Did I say that with enough Emphasis?) :)

iridium130m

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
so no daisy chaining going on with the TAs themselves, but I am running my ceton tuners input from the output of one of the TAs right now. I originally had the Ceton coming off of the splitter feeding the TAs, but it was not receiving messages per the diag tool and surewest was unable to activate the cablecard. I moved the ceton to the TA out at one of their more experienced tech support guys request, and then had no issues activating the cablecard. I can watch and record non SDV channels fine in this wiring setup. Do you think I should change the ceton card back to the splitter or do you think I am fine since i can tune the non SDV channels?
thanks again for the help!!!

iridium130m

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
off of the phone with maintenance, surewest is about to give up on me :( . I eliminated a splitter and got the signal strength to -7.5 dBmv and SNR to around 35dB . they've tried resetting it again with some kind of dhct hit (never heard of that before), but they still cannot see it come up. Surewest is pointing the finger at media center, i'm wondering if I should open a ticket with ceton at this point. Any more ideas? Please, maybe?
One interesting note, i asked this maintenance guy how I should be wired up, and he said the ceton should be into the splitter like you and the ceton getting started guide says, and that the out on the TAs are disabled. Frustrating that I'm getting conflicting info from within surewest now, ugh.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
No. The Ceton cannot daisy chain to a TA. That will also fail completely.

ca978167_YES1.jpeg

f7e3c23e_NO1.jpeg

cb5ecb23_No2.jpeg

No. I think you're almost there your hookup isn't quite right. If you get really stuck, PM me here, you're in the KC area, right?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I want to say, unless rebutted: SOLVED.
If you run into this, do not be afraid to PM. My door is always open :) Though food may be involved if you're close.

iridium130m

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Problem solved...solution works FANTASTIC! 1TB drive filled and looked to upgrade to a 3TB drive.
Thanks!

hmm23

Auditioning
Real Name
ab
sorry to bump up and older thread, but I will be setting up my ceton later today and had some questions ... (also in kc and using surewest)
did you still need 2 sdv tuner boxes for your ceton card ??
I just picked up a cablecard and 1 box today and the infinitv card should be at the door later today. I wasn't sure if surewest updated the boxes yet...
Will it be obvious when I set up my card if I will need 2 sdv tuner boxes ?
thanks

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to have a Ceton card waiting under the tree for me next month. If my cable provider (FiOS Albany) doesn't use Switched Digital Video, will I be good with just the PCI card and the CableCARD?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Correct. Some providers do not use SDV. FIOS is a very clean install with Ceton

Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt /t/308134/using-a-ceton-and-2-other-tuners-for-8-tuners-how-to#post_3875515
I'm going to have a Ceton card waiting under the tree for me next month. If my cable provider (FiOS Albany) doesn't use Switched Digital Video, will I be good with just the PCI card and the CableCARD?

aetafoya

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex Tafoya
I am trying to get my cable card working with SureWest in Kansas City too. Everything works except the encrypted channels. Any suggestions Matt?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks