What's new

Using 6ohms speakers on 8-16ohms receiver? (1 Viewer)

Phil_Lunar

Stunt Coordinator
I am planing to buy Axiom set of speakers

curently looking for :

M22ti
VP100 or VP150
QS4 or QS8

but I am concern about the 6 ohms rating of the VP150 and QS8.

I have a Kenwood VR-410 5X100W and on the back of my receiver, under each speaker connector I can read "8-16 ohms"

now does that mean that I should not use 6 ohms speaker with this receiver?

or this mean that I will get poor performance out my speaker because my receiver won't be able to handle those 6 ohms speakers?

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Proceed with caution, but FWIW, I've been running 6 ohm mains (Pioneer) off of Kenwood A/V receivers for years without any problems.

JKS

Nathan J

Stunt Coordinator
A lower impedance usually increased amplifier power, unless the amp is a regulated design.....at least in car audio....I doubt that you would have any problem with it.

LarrySkelly

Stunt Coordinator
It all depends on the quality of the amplifier section in the receiver. For 18 months I've been running 4 ohm B&W's and Martin-Logan's that drop to 2 ohms and are impossible to drive, using a Marantz SR-8000 receiver that says 8 ohms or greater. Not a problem, however that's not to say that at some point in the future it won't go up in a puff of smoke.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't worry about your combination. 6 ohms, 8 ohms...we're not talking about a big thing and truth be told, there are 8 ohm speakers out there that might more properly be classified as 6 or 7.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Perusing their webiste shows that the Axiom M22's are 89db at 8 ohm. Those are easy easy to drive. You should have zero issues.

Phil_Lunar

Stunt Coordinator
Well in that case I think I will go with this combinaison:

M22ti
VP150
QS4

in another tread, someone with the same room size as me(12X15) got this package advice from Axiom directly so I think I will follow this way!

thanks for your advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks