What's new

USHE Press Release: Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray) includes Creature (1 Viewer)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I did a search but couldn't find anything about this (and I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask). I've never ordered from Amazon UK, and I was just wondering what import duties are like when shipping to the US. I was reading about their AmazonGlobal program, but it doesn't seem to include DVD/Blu-rays.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Bryan Tuck said:
I did a search but couldn't find anything about this (and I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask). I've never ordered from Amazon UK, and I was just wondering what import duties are like when shipping to the US. I was reading about their AmazonGlobal program, but it doesn't seem to include DVD/Blu-rays.
None.

Woody8

Agent
Real Name
Glenn
Just got my copy.
Haven't watched anything yet....waiting till dark, but would you believe the book is put together all out of order! The pages are jumbled, it makes no bloody sense!

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
Just received the UK set. Had a very brief look at the 3-D version of Lagoon, and personally, I think it looks wonderful. The level of detail is superb, as is the 3-D effect. I couldn't detect any ghosting, or any other detrimental effect.

Incidentally, the accompanying booklet is excellent. Very informative, and very well designed.

Will watch Dracula tonight - for the first time in years. Seems like a really great set. (And amazing value on the UK version).

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Kevin EK said:
Depends if the delivery guy takes a Ricola.  That usually stops the coffin.
. [GROAN] :)
BTW, I got 3 emails explaining it, but I'm getting a 1.04 (in pounds) refund because the price lowered after my preorder. It dropped 1.25 but the refund is 1.04. I guess the difference is caused by changes in the exchange rate?

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
Got the same message, I bet the difference is VAT related, and since we are in the US and don't pay VAT we got a different refund amount.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell /t/321849/ushe-press-release-universal-classic-monsters-the-essential-collection-blu-ray-includes-creature-in-3d/240#post_3982452
My estimated delivery date is 10/24. Does shipping a coffin take that much longer?
Last night I got a notice that my coffin set was delayed, just now I got a shipping notice that it's on it's way, estimated arrival of Oct 10. I'm in Canada, so it's weird that yours is taking so long when we have ice fields and husky dogs dealing with the mail...

Now I have to hold thumbs that I don't have any problems playing these on my PS3. :S

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I can't imagine there would be any issue playing the discs on a PS3 - unless you haven't been updating the firmware. If the firmware hasn't been updated, you will get an authoring message on several of the discs rather than playback...

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Kevin EK /t/321849/ushe-press-release-universal-classic-monsters-the-essential-collection-blu-ray-includes-creature-in-3d/240#post_3982917
I can't imagine there would be any issue playing the discs on a PS3 - unless you haven't been updating the firmware. If the firmware hasn't been updated, you will get an authoring message on several of the discs rather than playback...
Nice to know. I haven't bought a region free disc out of the UK so was a little worried since Sony can be pretty tight with their players when it comes to formats. I also have heard something about 50hrz and 60hrz discs or something and one of them not working.

Anyways, thanks again, I'm on the latest firmware patch so should be good.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
rayman1701 said:
Got the same message, I bet the difference is VAT related, and since we are in the US and don't pay VAT we got a different refund amount.

I'm in the US too. Just thought it odd the refund amount was different than the amount the priced dropped. The refund is smaller than the drop, but I'm not going to quibble about it. Just something odd they sent three different emails about it pretty close together.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Johnny Angell said:
I'm in the US too. Just thought it odd the refund amount was different than the amount the priced dropped. The refund is smaller than the drop, but I'm not going to quibble about it. Just something odd they sent three different emails about it pretty close together.
It's smaller than the drop because the price shown for the set in British Pounds Sterling includes VAT. The price you pay as a customer from the United States doesn't, so they subtracted the VAT portion of the price drop amount from your refund. This is why the price of an amazon.co.uk purchase is actually less at the final checkout page than it was listed for - if you're ordering from and shipping to a country not subject to the collection of VAT.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by dpippel /t/321849/ushe-press-release-universal-classic-monsters-the-essential-collection-blu-ray-includes-creature-in-3d/270#post_3982967
It's smaller than the drop because the price shown for the set in British Pounds Sterling includes VAT. The price you pay as a customer from the United States doesn't, so they subtracted the VAT portion of the price drop amount from your refund. This is why the price of an amazon.co.uk purchase is actually less at the final checkout page than it was listed for - if you're ordering from and shipping to a country not subject to the collection of VAT.

What i don't understand is that when i order from Amazon USA i don't get sales tax deducted from my order, is there a reason for this, why do customers from North America get VAT deductions when i don't get sales tax deducted. ?

Okay thinking about this some more i probably don't pay it, i was just assuming the price was already including sales tax, perhaps it doesn't, here in the UK we always have VAT on goods at the checkout.

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /t/321849/ushe-press-release-universal-classic-monsters-the-essential-collection-blu-ray-includes-creature-in-3d/270#post_3982985

What i don't understand is that when i order from Amazon USA i don't get sales tax deducted from my order, is there a reason for this, why do customers from North America get VAT deductions when i don't get sales tax deducted. ?

Okay thinking about this some more i probably don't pay it, i was just assuming the price was already including sales tax, perhaps it doesn't, here in the UK we always have VAT on goods at the checkout.
I don't know as (for the moment I know lawmakers in Illinois are trying to change it) I don't pay any sales tax from Amazon US. So I don't know if there are export duties, but that's kinda weird though.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
FoxyMulder said:
In the US, sales tax is not added to the price until you go to pay, it is not added into the price you see on the shelf as it is in the UK and Australia.
In addition here, there are multiple taxes sometimes. There isn't a national sales tax, but rather each state has a sales tax and they are different percentages, and even some places have additional county or city sales taxes. Different items carry different taxes, and even in a few rare cases (gasoline) the tax is in fact included in the price one sees...
That's why sometimes there was no tax to be paid when we buy things online here in the US, if the store has no local presence, there is no tax to be paid for out of state customers, but many states are changing this policy, as we are experiencing here in California.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
If anyone is still interested in the US version, I saw it at Costco today for $97.99.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by Moe Dickstein /t/321849/ushe-press-release-universal-classic-monsters-the-essential-collection-blu-ray-includes-creature-in-3d/270#post_3983091
They didn't have singles did they? I just want Creature for the 3D
It's available from Amazon's UK website for 10.99 pounds, which converts to roughly US$17...the pressing is 3D blu-ray and region free, so it's compatible with your player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks