USHE Press Release: Scarface: Platinum Edition

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    ON OCTOBER 3, 2006, EXPERIENCE DIRECTOR BRIAN DE PALMA'S ULTIMATE GANGSTER CLASSIC LIKE YOU NEVER HAVE BEFORE

SCARFACE: PLATINUM EDITION

ALL-NEW COLLECTIBLE TWO-DISC EDITION FEATURES ENTIRELY NEW SOUND EFFECTS AND AUDIO MIX FOR AN EXPERIENCE THAT WILL BLOW YOU AWAY

Universal City, California, August 2, 2006 - Say hello to an all-new, two-disc platinum edition of Scarface featuring BIGGER GUNS, BIGGER EXPLOSIONS and BIGGER SOUNDS! Every sound effect in the film has been replaced and digitally remastered for the ultimate Scarface experience. In stores October 3, 2006 from Universal Studios Home Entertainment, Scarface: Platinum Edition also offers additional new bonus features and specially designed, highly collectible packaging that combine to make Scarface: Platinum Edition an extraordinary home entertainment event. The must-own DVD is priced at $29.98 SRP. Preorder close is August 15, 2006.

In Scarface, Al Pacino gives an unforgettably powerful performance as Tony Montana, one of the most ruthless gangsters ever depicted on film. Directed by acclaimed filmmaker Brian De Palma, written by Oliver Stone, and produced by Martin Bregman who brought the Godfather legends to the screen, Scarface follows the violent career of Tony Montana (Pacino), a ruthless Cuban refugee who blasts his way to the top of Miami's drug underworld, attaining wealth and power beyond his wildest dreams. The thrilling epic also stars Steven Bauer as Manny, Montana's only true friend; Michelle Pfeiffer as Montana's beautiful wife, Elvira; and Robert Loggia as Frank Lopez, the murderous drug kingpin. Only in the film's devastating finale does Montana come to grips with the awful price of his lavish empire.

AN ARSENAL OF KILLER BONUS FEATURES
    Beyond the stunning visuals and unparalleled sound of Scarface: Platinum Edition, fans of the gangster epic will enjoy the DVD's wealth of bonus features. Features include:

* SCARFACE SCOREBOARD: Watch Scarface like never before...keep track of the number of times the "F" word is used and the number of bullets fired.
    * DELETED SCENES: Over 20 minutes of intense deleted scenes will leave fans wanting more!
    * MAKING OF SCARFACE: THE VIDEO GAME: Immerse yourself in the world of Scarface in this behind-the-scenes look at the creation of the video game.
    * THE WORLD OF TONY MONTANA: Experience the decadent world of the ultimate gangster in this all-new feature. Revel in Tony's luxurious and extravagant life in the underworld.
    * SCARFACE: THE REBIRTH: Actor Al Pacino, director Brian De Palma, producer Martin Bregman, and screenwriter Oliver Stone examine the history of Scarface, from the original 1932 classic to shooting the script.
    * SCARFACE: CREATING: A fascinating look at the controversial making of Scarface and the triumphs and struggles experienced by its filmmakers, including the filming of the unforgettable chainsaw scene, location changes, the producer's battles to gain an "R" rating and more.
    * SCARFACE: ACTING: Al Pacino and other cast members offer insider stories and revealing insights into how these legendary characters were created.
    * SCARFACE: TV VERSION MONTAGE: A revealing and hilarious montage of film clips that compare and contrast the theatrical release to the network version of Scarface.

SYNOPSIS
    Scarface is the unforgettable story of a ruthless immigrant's rapid rise and fall as the underworld kingpin of South Florida. Tony Montana (Al Pacino) flees Castro's Cuba along with his close friend Manny Ray (Steven Bauer) for a dead-end life on the streets of Miami. Foul-mouthed, ambitious and brutal, Tony's talent for violence plunges him into the treacherous world of big time cocaine dealing. Rising to the top of a drug and blood-soaked empire using increasingly vicious tactics, Tony destroys anyone in his way and takes whatever he wants - including his rival's woman, Elvira (Michelle Pfeiffer). But his intensifying paranoia eventually traps Tony in a web of deceit that will ultimately destroy him.

CAST & FILMMAKERS
    Director: Brian De Palma
    Screenplay By: Oliver Stone
    Produced By: Martin Bregman
    Director of Photography: John A. Alonzo
    Edited By: Jerry Greenberg, David Ray
    Original Music By: Giorgio Moroder
    Cast: Al Pacino, Michelle Pfeiffer, Steven Bauer, Robert Loggia, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio

TECHNICAL INFORMATION
    DVD
    Street Date: October 3, 2006
    Pre-Order Close: August 15, 2006
    Copyright: 2006 Universal Studios. All Rights Reserved.
    Price: $29.98 SRP
    Selection Number: 31023
    Running Time: 2 Hours 50 Minute
    Layers: Disc One=Dual. Disc Two=Single
    Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
    Rating: R (Bonus features Unrated)
    Technical Info Disc One:
    * Languages: English Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1 (Producer's Mix); Spanish Audio: Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono; French Audio: Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono
    * DTS: DTS 5.1
    * Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
    * Bonus Features: Scarface Scorecard
    Technical Info Disc Two:
    * Languages: English Audio: Dolby Digital 2.0
    * Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
    * Bonus Features: Deleted Scenes, Making of the Game, The World of Tony Montana, The Rebirth, The Acting, The Creating, TV Version montage.

2. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    That explains why I saw a stack of Scarface box sets @ Costco discounted to $38.99 Cdn. Why can't USHE just give us a single release of the Paul Muni/Howard Hawks original instead of going back to the well again & again on the De Palma remake?

3. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

They should advertise this as "Soon to be seen on MTV's Cribs!" [​IMG]

4. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

I'm sure I've seen this on Cribs.

EDIT: Beaten to it!

5. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman

Because there's no video game tie-in to promote with the original film? [​IMG]

The F-bomb counter would be hysterical if South Park hadn't done it already.

6. JoePassmore

JoePassmore Stunt Coordinator

Any artwork available?

7. Carter of Mars

Carter of Mars Stunt Coordinator

Hasn't Universal learned with Jaws and Vertigo that people complain when the original films sound is messed with? It's the same lesson Warners has seemed to have learned with Superman. At least in the case of Scarface, the original track is already available on DVD.

But who is asking for this new mix? I don't know anyone that likes this movie but doesn't enjoy the way it's sounded for 23 years. I saw an original 4 track mag print 5 years ago that sounded fine and the re-issue a few years ago in DTS, which also sounded fine. Now we're going to get this new thing which most likely will not sound a thing like the movie we are familiar with and it could possibly supplant the original. So now we end up with some bastard version of the movie. Sure, it'll look like Scarface, but it'll never sound like Scarface. Count me out.

8. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

I think the original sound is also included.

9. Carter of Mars

Carter of Mars Stunt Coordinator

The press release states:

English Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1 (Producer's Mix)
    Spanish Audio: Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono
    French Audio: Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono

and then...

DTS 5.1

No mention if the the DTS track is the original or not, but it's a safe bet that it isn't.

10. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    So, basically what we're getting is the documentaries and deleted scenes from the previous editions... and a bunch of completely useless crap. (all IMHO, of course) "Yay, an f-word counter and a video game making of!! I'll definitely double/triple/quadruple-dip now!"

On top of that, a new audio mix De Palma apparently wasn't even involved with (since it's labeled as a "Producer's Mix" in the specs).

Yeah, thanks, but no thanks, Universal. Maybe next year. [​IMG]

11. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

So now we're supposed to be triple dipping because of spruced-up explosions and sound effects? Pass.

Hey, Universal -- just give us ISLAND OF LOST SOULS (1933) on DVD already...

12. Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear Screenwriter

Well this just dropped screaming off the cliff edge of my Want list...

13. BrettGallman

BrettGallman Screenwriter

Or a re-release of MST3K: The Movie...

14. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell

Amen.

This Scarface release is one of the most redundant things I've seen released. Universal should be ashamed of themselves.

Give me the original Hawks DVD seperate so I don't have to buy a replica cocain box and a bunch of trinkets. A bunch of morons.

15. Travis Brashear

Frankly, it's not even the redundancy I'm offended by (as a collector, I'm always game to double-dip for new features), but the so-called "Produer's Mix" of the audio. Hey, Mr. Producer, thanks for your contributions to the film but you didn't author SCARFACE, so hands off DePalma's creation. Even though there's one new featurette (a stupid sounding one, "The World of Tony Montana", but a new one nonetheless), I'll pass and hope others do, as well, to send a message to Universal--gross tampering with the director's original vision will NOT be tolerated.

16. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Um, "director's original vision?" Are you kidding? Oliver Stone wrote this film, based loosely on a movie that was released before either he or DePalma was born (as well as on historical events), which was in turn based on a novel!

I agree that the 1932 film deserves a separate release.

17. Travis Brashear

I'm not referring to the film's writing, I'm refering to its direction, which, yes, remake or not, is DePalma's vision.

18. Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison Supporting Actor

At least that's one release I don't need to buy - just as well for my wallet actually, since there are so many other tempting DVDs already announced for October.

Universal, how do you do it? Every time I think you can't possibly find a way of screwing up yet another release, you prove me wrong. It's a rare talent.

19. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    The greatest gangster film... of 1983!!

Looking forward to adding this latest edition to my Scarface shelf.

20. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell

One of those small shelfs from ikea?