USHE Press Release: Apollo 13 (15th Anniversary Edition) (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG]

WINNER OF TWO ACADEMY AWARDS®

AND NOMINATED FOR NINE OSCARS® INCLUDING BEST PICTURE

APOLLO 13
    15TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION

APRIL 13, 2010
    AVAILABLE FOR THE FIRST TIME ON BLU-RAY™ HI-DEF
    FROM UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT

“FROM LIFT-OFF TO SPLASHDOWN,
    APOLLO 13 GIVES ONE HELL OF A RIDE.”
    – TIME MAGAZINE

OVERVIEW: To commemorate the 40th Anniversary of the historic space mission and the 15th Anniversary of the
    Academy Award®-winning film, Apollo 13 is now available to own on Blu-ray™ Hi-Def for the first time on April 13,
    2010, from Universal Studios Home Entertainment. From Academy Award®-winning director Ron Howard (The Da
    Vinci Code, A Beautiful Mind) and based on the dramatic events surrounding the real-life Apollo mission, this
    breathtaking story of survival, determination and hope stars Academy Award®-winner Tom Hanks (Angels & Demons,
    Forrest Gump), Bill Paxton (“Big Love,” U-571), Kevin Bacon (Frost/Nixon, Mystic River), Gary Sinise (“CSI: NY,” The
    Green Mile) and Ed Harris (Appaloosa, Gone Baby Gone).

BONUS FEATURES EXCLUSIVE TO BLU-RAYTM HI-DEF: Unleash the power of your HDTV with perfect picture
    and purest digital sound.
    • BD-LIVE™: Access the BD-Live™ Center through your Internet-connected player to get even more content,
    watch the latest trailers and more!
    o MY SCENES: Bookmark your favorite scenes from the movie then share with your BD-Live™
    buddies!
    • U-CONTROLTM: Universal’s exclusive signature feature puts the viewer just one click away from going
    deeper into the making of the film without ever leaving the movie.
    o THE APOLLO ERA: Learn about the other big events from the year of this historic mission—
    without stopping the movie.
    o TECH-SPLANATIONS: Enjoy entertaining explanations of the science and technology of the
    Apollo 13 missions.
    • pocket BLU™: USHE’s groundbreaking pocket BLU app uses iPhone™ and iPod® touch Wi-Fi
    connections to work seamlessly with a network-connected Blu-rayTM player and offers advanced features
    such as:
    o Advanced Remote Control: A sleek, elegant new way to operate your Blu-ray™ player. Users
    can navigate through menus, playback and BD-Live™ functions with ease.
    o Video Timeline: By turning the phone to landscape mode, users will bring up the video timeline,
    allowing them to instantly access any point in the movie. (iPhone™ and iPod® touch only)
    o Mobile-To-Go: Users can unlock a selection of exclusive bonus content with their Blu-ray™ discs
    to save to their device or to stream from anywhere there is a cellular or Wi-Fi network, enabling
    them to enjoy exclusive content on the go, anytime, anywhere.
    o Browse Titles: Users will have access to a complete list of pocket BLU™-enabled titles available
    and coming to Blu-ray™ Hi-Def. They can view free previews and see what additional content is
    available to unlock on their device.
    o Pop-Up Keyboard: Enter data into a Blu-ray™ player with this easy and intuitive keyboard that
    will facilitate such Blu-ray™ features as chatting with friends and sending messages.
    And coming soon, Universal will be releasing pocket BLU™ for Blackberry and Android smart phones.
    • social BLU™: Connect with friends on your favorite social networks to share information about your favorite
    movies, enjoy Blu-ray™ community features and more!

• ADDITIONAL BONUS FEATURES INCLUDE:
    o FEATURE COMMENTARY: Feature commentary with director Ron Howard, Apollo 13
    commander Jim Lovell and his wife Marilyn.
    o LUCKY 13: THE ASTRONAUT’S STORY: A “Dateline” television piece recounting the events of
    the mission.
    o LOST MOON: THE TRIUMPH OF APOLLO 13: The making of the film including behind-thescenes
    footage and interviews.
    o CONQUERING SPACE: THE MOON AND BEYOND: A recap of the last 45 years in space.
    • D-BOX MOTION CONTROL™
    SYNOPSIS: Less than a year after the world marveled at man’s first moon walk – and only three years after the
    deadly Apollo 1 fire – the American public thought of the April 1970 Apollo 13 moon mission as just another “routine”
    space flight. But soon, four words from Spacecraft Commander Jim Lovell would change all that: “Houston, we have
    a problem.” Stranded 205,000 miles from home in a crippled spacecraft, Lovell, and two other astronauts, Jack
    Swigert and Fred Haise, fought a desperate battle to survive while Mission Control’s heroic ground crew raced
    against time – and long odds – to bring them home. Academy Award®-winner Ron Howard directs Tom Hanks,
    Kevin Bacon, Bill Paxton, Gary Sinise, Ed Harris and Kathleen Quinlan in a riveting account of this breathtaking reallife
    adventure.

TECHNICAL INFORMATION – BLU-RAY™ HI-DEF:
    Street Date: April 13, 2010
    Copyright: 2010 Universal Studios Home Entertainment
    Selection Number: 61112003
    Running Time: 2 Hours, 20 Minutes
    Layers: BD-50
    Picture Format: Widescreen
    Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
    Rating: Rated PG for language and emotional intensity
    Languages/Subtitles: English SDH, French-Canadian, Castilian-Spanish, L.A. Spanish, Swedish, Danish, Finnish,
    Norwegian, Portuguese, Italian, Bulgarian, Czech, Greek, Hungarian, Icelandic, Romanian, Slovenian
    Sound: English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, French-European DTS Surround 5.1, Castilian-Spanish DTS Surround
    5.1, L.A.-Spanish DTS Surround 5.1, Italian DTS Surround 5.1, Czech DTS Surround 5.1, Hungarian DTS Surround

CAST AND FILMMAKERS
    Cast: Tom Hanks, Bill Paxton, Kevin Bacon, Gary Sinise, Ed Harris, Kathleen Quinlan, Mary Kate Schellhardt
    Directed By: Ron Howard
    Written By: Jim Lovell, Jeffrey Kluger (book), William Broyles Jr., Al Reinert (screenplay)
    Executive Producers: Todd Hallowell
    Produced By: Brian Grazer
    Director of Photography: Dean Cundey
    Production Designer: Michael Corenblith
    Editor: Daniel Hanley, Mike Hill
    Costume Design By: Rita Ryack
    Music By: James Horner
    Visual Effects: Robert Legato, Michael Kanfer, Leslie Ekker, Matt Sweeney
    Casting By: Janet Hirshenson, Jane Jenkins

2. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    Excellent news! This is a title I've been axiously waiting for ever since I switched to Blu-Ray. This one never gets old, and it's one of only a handful of movies I'll happily upgrade and re-buy forever!

3. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Apollo 13 is one of my favorite movies, and I'm very excited to see it being release on Blu-ray. It would be nice if they'd included the truncated Imax cut, too, as did the last DVD release, but overall, this seems like a promising release.

How was the quality of the HD-DVD version? Can we expect the same transfer to be re-used?

4. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

5. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Heh, it took me a moment to figure out why you thought that was so funny.

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Don't you wonder how many people proofread this stuff before it gets released?

7. Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin Cinematographer

I guess if I have the Collector's Edition DVD, the DTS Edition DVD and the 2-disc with the IMAX, it makes sense to get this too....might as well go for four!

That's a LOT of audio tracks. Are all Universal titles like this? Yikes.

8. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Now THAT is funny! I just about choked reading that quote.

9. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    This is going straight on the buy list, especially since it is not a "combo" disc.

10. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

We have...we've had...close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades, right?

11. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

12. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Fire the proofreading department!!!!! *

*Assuming they have one.

13. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

"We apologise again for the fault in the press release. Those
    responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked
    have been sacked."

14. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Originally Posted by AaronMK

_Man_

15. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Explain to me how the BD is potentially compromised by the flipper format?

Crawdaddy

16. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Robert,

Didn't we already go thru this in the other couple threads on the subject?

I'm not claiming it'll *definitely* be compromised (to a practical degree). But it is quite reasonable to think that any such combo flipper format has the potential to compromise the integrity of the BD side(among other issues that may only be a matter of personal pref or usage pattern). And a few anecdotal examples that a handful of newly minted discs played fine on a handful of players doesn't prove anything other than that some discs work fine w/in a month or two of release -- that is not exactly a reliable test of the flipper format (or rather, the deployment of that format). I don't personally buy these discs only to watch them once w/in the first few months of release, and I'm sure you and many others here don't either.

I'm also not saying that I will never be convinced that my concerns regarding the flipper combo-disc format can/will never be relieved. I'm just not prepared to simply accept they're perfectly good and reliable at this point -- heck, I'm not even 100% sure that all BD-only discs will be perfectly good/reliable as it is given the issues we still see from time to time, but adding more complications on top of those issues isn't exactly the direction I'd want to see the (overall BD) format go. Besides, it's not like we all really need the DVD side for more than a couple more years or so anyway, do we? And in the cases of these older, popular catalog titles, most of us also already own the DVD, so there's really not much point to taking the extra risks, etc. w/ a combo flipper for that.

And yes, I'm not one to love the idea of being on the bleeding edge of tech most of the time. That's partly why I remain very reluctant about the new flipper combo format (for now)...

_Man_

17. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

Not with me. Whether you buy these type of discs isn't of any concern of mine because that's your personal choice and business. I just didn't quite understand your comment about flippers compromising the Blu-ray format.

Crawdaddy

18. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Carl, I was very pleased with the HD-DVD version. This was a pretty early release so admittedly I was more easily "blown away" by those releases, but I thought the color saturation was incredible on this title; coming from an NTSC format like DVD. Particularly loved the costuming at the Lovell household early in the film, and the shots of Hanks during the recovery phase.

It has been awhile since I've viewed the HD-DVD but my guess is that it still holds up pretty well even this far into the lifespan of HD media.

- Walter.

19. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    I'll echo _Man_'s sentiments about the durability being an issue for me. The failure rates of DVD-18 and HD-DVD combos have left a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe they finally know how manufacture these things, but only time will tell. Personally, I'm glad Apollo 13 is going to have cover art, even the lackluster Universal variety. Without it, the disc has a cheap feel that makes it look like it came straight out of a blank disc spindle.

Granted, for a title like Apollo 13, these wouldn't be a deal breaker. Still, I feel better purchasing something with a more proven longevity.

20. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

What exactly were the failure rates, does anyone really know? I personally haven't had a single DVD-18 or HD DVD combo fail. I have however had 3 blu-rays and several DVD-9s fail. But that is anecdotal. I have no idea what the actual percent of disc failure has been and I doubt anyone on this forum does.

Doug