USHE Press Release: An American Werewolf In London - Full Moon Edition (DVD/Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG]

AVAILABLE FOR THE FIRST TIME ON BLU-RAY™HI-DEF

AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON – FULL MOON EDITION
    SEPTEMBER 15, 2009 OWN IT ON BLU-RAY™ HI-DEF AND 2-DISC DVD FROM UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT
    OVERVIEW: One of the most gripping horror films of all-time is now available in perfect picture and purest digital sound on Blu-ray Hi-Def and DVD – An American Werewolf in London Full Moon Edition! When two American students touring London are attacked by a vicious wolf during a full moon, their lives are suddenly transformed forever. Featuring ground-breaking Academy Award®-winning make-up by Rick Baker (Michael Jackson’s “Thriller,” How The Grinch Stole Christmas), this cult favorite is directed by John Landis (Michael Jackson’s “Thriller,” National Lampoon’s Animal House) and perfectly blends the macabre with a touch of humor. Digitally remastered for optimum picture quality and loaded with bonus features including an all-new 100-minute retrospective documentary, An American Werewolf in London - Full Moon Edition is a timeless story that has never looked better!
    EXCLUSIVE TO BLU-RAYTM HI-DEF: • BD-LIVE™: Access the BD-Live™ Center through your Internet-connected player to get even more content, watch the latest trailers, and more!
    BONUS FEATURES (BLU-RAY™ HI-DEF and DVD): • NEW! - BEWARE THE MOON: In this feature-length documentary, filmmaker Paul Davis guides us through a never-before-seen, in-depth look at the Making of An American Werewolf in London, with the help of director John Landis and make-up artist Rick Baker. • NEW! - I WALKED WITH A WEREWOLF (IN HI-DEF): Make-up effects artist Rick Baker tells of his life-long love of the Wolfman, how he would go on to create the creature in An American Werewolf in London, and how he was able to pour his passion into the upcoming Wolfman feature. • MAKING AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON, AN ORIGINAL FEATURETTE • AN INTERVIEW WITH JOHN LANDIS • MAKE-UP ARTIST RICK BAKER ON AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON • CASTING OF THE HAND • OUTTAKES • STORYBOARDS • PHOTOGRAPH MONTAGE • FEATURE COMMENTARY WITH CAST MEMBERS DAVID NAUGHTON AND GRIFFIN DUNNE
    SYNOPSIS: It's a rainy night on the Welsh moors. Two American students on a walking tour of Europe trudge on to the next town, when suddenly the air is pierced by an unearthly howl...Three weeks later, one is dead, the other is in the hospital and the nightmare begins for An American Werewolf in London. David Naughton, Griffin Dunne and Jenny Agutter star in this contemporary story of the macabre which takes you from the Welsh moors to Picadilly Circus, Trafalgar Square and the grounds of Windsor Castle. It is written and directed by John Landis, the man who brought you National Lampoon's Animal House, The Blues Brothers, Trading Places, and Coming to America. To add to the chill, there is art direction by Academy Award®-winner Les Dilley of Star Wars and Alien fame and special makeup effects by six-time Academy Award ®-winner Rick Baker, whose work includes Star Wars, The Nutty Professor, Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes, Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas and Men in Black.
    TECHNICAL INFORMATION (BLU-RAY HI-DEF): Street Date: September 15, 2009 Copyright: 2009 Universal Studios. All Rights Reserved Selection Number: 61106285 Price: $26.98 SRP Running Time: 1 Hour, 38 Minutes Layers: BD-50 Aspect Ratio: Widescreen 1.85:1 Rating: R Languages/Subtitles: English SDH, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Japanese, Korean, Swedish, Danish, Finnish, Dutch, Norwegian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Greek Sound: English DTS HD-Master Audio 5.1, French DTS 2.0 Mono, German DTS 2.0 Mono, Italian DTS 2.0 Mono
    TECHNICAL INFORMATION (DVD): Street Date: September 15, 2009 Copyright: 2009 Universal Studios. All Rights Reserved Selection Number: 61107947 Price: $19.98 SRP Running Time: 1 Hour, 38 Minutes Layers: Dual Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1 Rating: R Languages/Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish Sound: English Dolby Digital 5.1; French Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono
    CAST & FILMMAKERS: Director: John Landis Screenwriter: John Landis Producer: George Folsey Jr. Executive Producers: Peter Guber, Jon Peters Director of Cinematography: Robert Paynter Production Designer: Joyce Herlihy Editors: Malcolm Campbell Music: Elmer Bernstein Costume Designer: Deborah Nadoolman Cast: David Naughton, Griffin Dunne, Jenny Agutter

Edited by Ronald Epstein - 7/15/2009 at 02:40 pm GMT

2. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

There has been lots of scuttlebutt concerning a digital cleanup of this release, and, while I am quite interested to see the results of those efforts, I will be holding onto my HD DVD in the meantime in case things go too far. I am hoping for the best however, and I am looking forward to the new extras.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    By the way, Universal is releasing Army of Darkness and Van Helsing the same day on BRD. However, they're only releasing The Wolf Man (1941) that same day on DVD in a 2-disc SE and 1-disc releases. It's too bad a classic horror film like "The Wolf Man" can't be released on BRD too.

Crawdaddy

4. Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson Second Unit

Jeff Robertson
    This release suggests that perhaps Uni isn't just porting over the same source used for the HD-DVD. I get the same vibe with their 25th Anniversary Edition of The Last Starfighter BD, but it remains to be seen.

5. Tim-H.

Tim-H. Second Unit

Maybe by the time the 2009 Wolf Man hits Blu-ray, Universal will have some of the classics on BD to tie in? Looking forward to this release, one of my all-time faves.

6. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    I would be all over any Classic Uni monsters on Blu-Ray.

7. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Sold! Easily one of my favorite 80's horror films.

Though these HD DVD to BD upgrades don't get me as excited as new to High Definition catalog titles.

Unfortunately, not surprised at all about the lack of a Wolf Man BD.

8. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Fantastic news, and it has my hopes up that John Landis may similarly grace us with INNOCENT BLOOD (Landis' vampire film with "La Femme Nikita" herself Anne Parillaud). I've always wanted to see the longer European cut of INNOCENT BLOOD, for instance. I do NOT want the short American version to be the version that comes to BluRay. It's only about 3 minutes longer, but in a horror film that can mean a lot.

For the longest time I thought the male lead in INNOCENT BLOOD was one of the Baldwin brothers, but it turns out Anthony LaPaglia is not a Baldwin. Just looks like one.

Come on Landis!

9. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I guess I can now retire the DVD.

10. Brian Borst

Brian Borst Screenwriter

I agree, I had hoped that at least the original would be released on Blu, and maybe a title like An American Werewolf... with it. Strange it's the other way around.
    But anyway, I am a casual monster movie fan (if there is such a thing) and I somehow managed to have never seen this, so my expectations are pretty high for this.

11. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Sweet! There's gonna' be a Bad Moon Risin' come Sept.

12. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

I'm glad I have my HD DVD because I have a feeling this Bd is going to be scrubbed silly.
    Sometimes the comments that people post in these forums do have actual consequences and the majority of comments that I saw about the first release was that is was too grainy, too old looking, needed a new master, and on and on- along with a generous helping of format antagonists that held this up as an example that the only HD DVD exclusive studio was doing a lousy job with their product.

I'm sure Universal saw those complaints and is ready to give people the image they profess they want now.

13. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

I seem to remember there were similar complaints about the 12 Monkeys HD DVD so it'll be interesting when I get the BD in the next week or so and I can compare between the two on my system.

I'll be doing the same with An American Werewolf in Sept. Hopefully this isn't "scrubbed silly" given Landis was involved.

Then again seeing what Friedkin did with The French Connection [SHUDDERS] anything is possible.

14. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

The comments Landis made on bloody-disgusting.com give me cause to worry a bit
    he continues talking about the incredible Blu-ray transfer for the original film, "regardless, my film comes out on Blu-ray this summer and looks amazing. I was afraid the digital cleaning of the negative would result in too clear a picture and hurt Rick Baker's make-up, when in fact the incredibly crisp detail actually makes Rick stuff look even better!"

15. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

The comments Landis made on bloody-digusting.com cause me to worry a bit

I've seen the cover art for the Bd and to me it looks great- huge improvement over the previous money shot hodge podge. And the extras sound great. I would likely be all over this even just as a saftey in case something happens to my HD DVD copy- but I dreading seeing what's been done to it to make it palatable for the majority of bd buyers.
    Well just have to see I guess.

I'm also curious what you find with 12 Monkeys.

16. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Yeah, I guess I can see your concern with those comments.

Digital cleaning could simply be dirt/scratch removal
    or it could involve light grain removal or moderate grain removal or heavy grain removal

Nothing to do but wait to see what they've done I guess.

17. DavidS

DavidS Stunt Coordinator

Of course, no one's commenting that this disc will be missing its original soundtrack, in this case mono, as per Universal's usual Blu-ray / DVD policy...

18. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

I pulled out my HD DVD last night. I've got a new projector since I last watched it, one that is more ruthlessly revealing of source issues. Up till now I've never noticed the EE on this title that some others have criticized it for. I can see it now, but for my tastes it's still verges on insignificant in terms of adding noticeable halos around objects.
    However, there is no doubt to me it's there and given how much grain (noise?) there is, it has to be negatively affecting that- exacerbating it, changing it, giving it a slight digital signature.
    I've come around to thinking that maybe some of that noise is not a natural, analog characteristic of the source and could be minimized without negatively affecting the overall impression of the image.

I'm certain the image on the Bd is going to look quite a bit different from the HD DVD. I'm no longer of the mind that is going to be a full on negative though.
    If they can show some restraint, this might be very admirable upgrade.
    At least that's what I'm hoping now.

As far as the audio goes- I'm more of a visual person. An audio re-mix has to be really over the top (like the woeful ones for Grease or Jaws) for me to notice and get upset. I agree that the original mono track should always be included.
    If they leave it off of Jaws then I will be pissed.

19. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Landau spoke out against one of the previous DVD versions of Animal House before it got released claiming it looked too clean as they removed so much grain - they corrected the problem before the release, so my guess is the BD will not have issues like that.

20. BillyFeldman

BillyFeldman Supporting Actor

I'm just baffled by these posts - do you know what the negative looks like on this title? Do you know what it looked like theatrically? If not, why do you just assume it's not going to be right? If Landis is happy with what they did, then it should be just fine, because, you know, he's the director and knows what he shot (and yes, there are directors like Friedkin who likes revisionism, but Landis isn't one of them). Given the printing processes and opticals of the time, I'm sure that there was overt and lousy-looking grain in Werewolf, but that was just something you had to live with back then on release prints. If it were today, you would not have that problem and it would look more like what the director and DP actually intended it to look like - back then, they had to accept the technology and if they'd had the technology you would have not seen overt grain like that.