What's new

USHE Press Release: ALFRED HITCHCOCK: THE MASTERPIECE COLLECTION (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Just read some of the thread over on the other forum and they are calling us HTF members "ninnies" and "twits..."

nice...

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I believe that DVD Beaver already has screen-captured reviewed of the previous Universal Hithcock DVDs.

I believe that the DVD Forum poster, who labels certain - not all - HTF members, "twits" or "ninnies" (hardly offensive labels, in my extensive book of insults) is an ex-member who had run-ins with Mr Epstein and was canned. No point in being bitter and twisted over it. I have read other forums where HTF admins are refered to as "Nazis", so I am hardly bothered by "twit".

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I'm with Rich.

It's a good price. I'd happily pay MUCH more for the same set but with new HD transfers, but that's unfortunately not the reality here. Our compensation for NOT getting sparkling new HD transfers? They could've charged a LOT more for this, but they didn't. At least they aren't gouging us. Hell, it's Universal. This could've been SO much worse.

It's a good price. I would've paid $20 each for the anamorphic/finally-mono VERTIGO, the anamorphic/thankfully-still-mono PSYCHO, the vastly improved SABOTEUR, and the improved REAR WINDOW, MARNIE, and THE BIRDS. Oh, and I never did pick up THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY, so that one too. There's $140 right there. I'll get all of these plus a bunch of other discs for considerably less. It's hard to complain.

It's a good price. I can wish for more, but wishing won't make it happen. I will however, plan on getting some slim cases and making my own custom covers. Every Hitch film deserves its own case. ;)

MichaelScott

Stunt Coordinator
lol..you guys are trying way to hard to convince yourselves ..this is the best director ever, it should be better, and you shouldn't have to make your own cases, Once again Universal took the easy route. Unless you have a great setup it's not worth it...even then, just wait a while they will release it again for the next format.

Greg Black

Second Unit
Wow, confirmed mono on Vertigo equals confirmed sale for me.

I just know that some of us hardcores will be making up some nice covers for these discs, so they can get the proper respect that they deserve.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Haven't actually seen most of these films, and I don't own any of them, so I'll definitely be picking this set up at some point. As for the single cases/multi-disc package issue, I actually think that a smaller package is nice, since it takes up less space on my DVD shelf (where space is starting to come at a premium). Since I haven't been able to bring myself to break up the Oliver Stone and Scorsese box sets, I don't think being able to sell off individual titles is that big a deal...

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Wow, thats great.

That review seals it for me... I can't wait to get my hands on this set :emoji_thumbsup:

That box looks stunning IMO.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Looking forward to more in-depth comparisons, but I definitely appreciate what's done so far. Thanks Gary!

I can't wait to pop VERTIGO in and see for my own eyes, on my own setup. Well, all the others too, but VERTIGO is my favorite film of all time, so it's going in first. ;)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I wouldn't go so far as to call them "Horrid", but they should pay attention to WB and use original poster art. I don't know why some studio refuse to do this. The market for these films already exists. The number of casual buyers who are caught by a fancy cover has to be extremely small for classic films.

The real question is "Where are the individual releases for Vertigo & Psycho?"

I have the original boxsets and saw no need to re-buy every title. I'll continue to wait.:frowning:

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Eric, if you have the originals, I'd highly advise upgrading to the velvet box. It's one of the best overall releases of last year.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
They're not horrible by any means (in fact, I quite like the one for HARRY), but I do prefer the hodgepodge of theatrical one-sheet artwork featured for the discs in the Masterpiece Collection boxed set. And really, at a whopping $20 per individual disc, it just makes a great deal more financial sense to grab the boxed set.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member

This is looking more and more to be the case. I am only missing four of the movies (Marnie, Topaz, Shadow of a Doubt and Torn Curtain). Of course my versions of Psycho and Vertigo are the older editions... So even if they finally released singles of the ones I don't have or would want to upgrade, it's still gonna cost me more that buying that box set. I just wish I knew what to do with the old copies. I transferred most of them to thinpaks and no longer have the original cover art on a few.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Hate those covers. Hate, hate, hate 'em. Luckily I have the Masterpiece set already (for which I'm slowing working on thinpak custom covers), so I remain unaffected by Universal's lack of taste in the design department. :D

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
AWFUL COVERS,
ALL OF THE CLASSIC DVDS SHOULD HAVE original poster ART.
THESE ARE THE WORST YET !!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks