What's new

USHE Announcement: The Barbara Stanwyck Collection (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Promotion: The Barbara Stanwyck Collection (Universal Backlot Series)Headline Date: TBA
Release Date: 4/27/2010 THE BARBARA STANWYCK COLLECTION Product Source: Made for Video
Theatrical Studio:
Theatrical Release:Synopsis: DVD Full Frame Multi-Feature(61112288) : Disc 1 (Side A)
Format: DVD UPC: 0-2519-20486-4-7 Unit Type: Multi-Feature Number of Media: 1 Street Date: 4/27/2010 PreOrder Date: Run Time (HH:MM): 1 Hour 19 Minutes Language: English Disc Type: DVD-9 (Single Sided) Packaging: Digipaks with Outer Box Layers: Single Audio:English Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono
Subtitles: English SDH
Edition: - Picture: Full Frame Version: - Color/B&WBLACK & WHITE Rating: Not Rated CARA Rating: - Bonus Features: DVD Full Frame Multi-Feature(61112288) : Disc 2 (Side A)
Format: DVD UPC: 0-2519-20486-4-7 Unit Type: Multi-Feature Number of Media: 1 Street Date: 4/27/2010 PreOrder Date: Run Time (HH:MM): 1 Hour 27 Minutes Language: English Disc Type: DVD-9 (Single Sided) Packaging: Digipaks with Outer Box Layers: Single Audio:English Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono
Edition: - Picture: Full Frame Version: - Color/B&WBLACK & WHITE Rating: Not Rated CARA Rating: - Bonus Features: DVD Full Frame Multi-Feature(61112288) : Disc 3 (Side A)
Format: DVD UPC: 0-2519-20486-4-7 Unit Type: Multi-Feature Number of Media: 1 Street Date: 4/27/2010 PreOrder Date: Run Time (HH:MM): 1 Hour 20 Minutes Language: English Disc Type: DVD-9 (Single Sided) Packaging: Digipaks with Outer Box Layers: Single Audio:English Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono
Edition: - Picture: Full Frame Version: - Color/B&WBLACK & WHITE Rating: Not Rated CARA Rating: - Bonus Features: DVD Full Frame Multi-Feature(61112288) : Disc 1 (Side A) (Feature 2)
Format: DVD UPC: 0-2519-20486-4-7 Unit Type: Multi-Feature Number of Media: 1 Street Date: 4/27/2010 PreOrder Date: Run Time (HH:MM): 1 Hour 31 Minutes Language: English Disc Type: Packaging: Digipaks with Outer Box Layers: Audio:English Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono
Edition: - Picture: Full Frame Version: - Color/B&WBLACK & WHITE Rating: Not Rated CARA Rating: - Bonus Features: DVD Full Frame Multi-Feature(61112288) : Disc 2 (Side A) (Feature 2)
Format: DVD UPC: 0-2519-20486-4-7 Unit Type: Multi-Feature Number of Media: 1 Street Date: 4/27/2010 PreOrder Date: Run Time (HH:MM): 1 Hour 39 Minutes Language: English Disc Type: Packaging: Digipaks with Outer Box Layers: Audio:English Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono
Edition: - Picture: Full Frame Version: - Color/B&WBLACK & WHITE Rating: Not Rated CARA Rating: - Bonus Features: DVD Full Frame Multi-Feature(61112288) : Disc 3 (Side A) (Feature 2)
Format: DVD UPC: 0-2519-20486-4-7 Unit Type: Multi-Feature Number of Media: 1 Street Date: 4/27/2010 PreOrder Date: Run Time (HH:MM): 1 Hour 21 Minutes Language: English Disc Type: Packaging: Digipaks with Outer Box Layers: Audio:English Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono
Edition: - Picture: Full Frame Version: - Color/B&WBLACK & WHITE Rating: Not Rated CARA Rating: - Bonus Features:

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
Shouldn't There's Always Tomorrow be in Widescreen? These are all listed as Full Frame.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by MLamarre

Shouldn't There's Always Tomorrow be in Widescreen? These are all listed as Full Frame.

It should be 1.85:1 ratio, but let's remember that these press releases are often wrong about the specs.

Crawdaddy

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I thought it was just me! I kept scanning all the detail, looking for the titles to the movies!

ColbyCo82

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
I took the lack of titles to be a jab at the fact many people on this forum only care about the technical aspects of a DVD (i.e. whether they are pressed or DVD-Rs.) ;)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Included titles are:
Internes Can't Take Money / The Great Man's Lady / The Bride Wore Boots / The Lady Gambles / All I Desire / There's Always Tomorrow

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
There's Always Tomorrow appears to be in an inferior open-matte full-frame from what Dave Kehr has noticed. Image comparisons between the Masters of Cinema UK release and this release of TAT are posted (scroll down) .

http://www.davekehr.com/?p=558#comments

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Let's hope that All I Desire (1953) and There's Always Tomorrow (1956) are proper transfers.
They are directed by Douglas Sirk during his most inspired period.
His films seem to improve with the passing years, like fine wine.
They merit all the attention Universal can bestow on them.

Note to Universal: MORE DOUGLAS SIRK FILMS, PLEASE.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This NYT review says:

...One of the great American movies, “There’s Always Tomorrow” has inspired reams of critical thought since its rediscovery in the 1970s. But inexcusably Universal is offering it here, not in the widescreen format in which it was made, but in a full-frame transfer probably intended for broadcast television and the narrow screens of yesteryear. This version severely compromises Sirk’s compositions (and is soft and muddy to boot); no serious collector would want to own it. Happily, alternatives are available for those with region-free players: “There’s Always Tomorrow” has been issued in an excellent, stand-alone edition by the Masters of Cinema series in Britain (eurekavideo.co.uk) and as part of a Sirk box set by Carlotta Films in France (carlottafilms.com). What a shame, though, that this important film should be treated so shabbily by the studio that produced it...

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Thanks for the heads-up on There's Always Tomorrow, John Hodson.
What a shame.
I vouch for the quality of the MoC release in the U.K.
If you can live with a slight speed-up in pitch, the MoC DVD represents the film the way it should be seen.
It's a vital film out of the 1950s and I recommend everybody give it a look apart from the Stanwyck Collection.

All I Desire is no slouch, either.

Richard

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by John Hodson ">[/url]

[url=http://eurekavideo.co.uk/][i]eurekavideo.co.uk[/i][/url][i]) and as part of a Sirk box set by Carlotta Films in France ([/i][url=http://carlottafilms.com/][i]carlottafilms.com[/i][/url][i]). What a shame, though, that this important film should be treated so shabbily by the studio that produced it.[/i]..
[/QUOTE]Yes, I just received the UK release this weekend and will try to watch it this week. I might still buy the boxset because of the other titles in that set.

Crawdaddy

Originally Posted by JoHud

There's Always Tomorrow appears to be in an inferior open-matte full-frame from what Dave Kehr has noticed. Image comparisons between the Masters of Cinema UK release and this release of TAT are posted (scroll down) .

http://www.davekehr.com/?p=558#comments
The same David Kehr who insisted Magnificent Obsession and Touch of Evil couldn't be widescreen?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Very disappointing news on THERE IS ALWAYS TOMORROW. I canceled my order, while I want some of the other films, I will wait for sale.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Bummer! I was on the fence with this boxset with my primary interest being the Sirk film. Being in the condition that it is, I will likely pass on this box (at least until a good sale).

Too bad!

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
This is really surprising. Universal does a reasonable job with it's older Paramount films. Too bad they don't give the older films made by their own company the same treatment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks