What's new

USHE Announcement: Dune (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Dune Blu-ray Release

Headline Date: TBA
Release Date: 4/27/2010

DUNE
Product Source: Theatrical
Theatrical Studio: Universal

Theatrical Release: 12/14/1984

From Home Theater Forum: No further information at this time. This is simply a release date indicator

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Hopefully this won't be a combo, and will include the extended cut, despite it being disowned by Lynch.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Yeah, no combo disc for me, either. Although I'm someone who slightly prefers the extended TV cut (minus those awful random bits and pieces) to Lynch's theatrical cut, due to the legitimately-great added footage. But I also watch the shorter version on occasion, too.

Just give me a better transfer than what was on the 2006 DVD, please, Universal -- it was a major letdown, especially compared to the eye-popping theatrical version that aired on Starz! and HDNet.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I figured this would be the case. Since I don't have the extended version yet, I think this one just made it onto the "if it's too cheap to pass up" list. I have no doubt it will resurface with the longer cut later, they just probably don't have an HD master for it yet.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The extended cut is really a mixed bag, since it cuts the PG-13 level violence and the prologue is cropped for 2.35:1. I'm actually kind of glad this is only the theatrical cut, but would love it if Universal saw fit to get Lynch to come back and assemble a true Director's Cut. We all know that's not going to happen, though.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Joseph J.D

Well....now that it's confirmed that it's only the theatrical cut, this will be a BIG pass for me. You know they will double dip on this in the long run......I will no longer play their stupid game. I can live with the DVD of both cuts until that day comes.
Same here. No sale this time.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I don't understand this.

Well, perhaps I do...because we all know how the studios love
to make people double-dip.

I'm not really a fan of DUNE at all. However, I can clearly
sympathise with those that feel very short-handed about the
studio not releasing the extended version on a format that
should support the very best a studio can do with their titles.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Even though I don't like the T.V. cut as a stand-alone work, the added footage itself is mostly very good (at least what I call the "legitimate" added footage is- the ridiculous repeated shots of ships flying, the stupid prologue, etc., is part of what makes the TV cut NOT work as a whole), and Universal went through the trouble of remastering it in HD for the previous DVD release (If one were to place the deleted footage itself back into the body of the theatrical cut- which I did when I made my own "fan edit" of the film using the previous DVD versions as a source- yeah, I'm a geek...- you end up with a film that's a lot more coherent, rich in character, and likely much closer to Lynch's actual intentions than either the actual theatrical or the TV cuts on their own). So why sit on it? I can only guess it's as Ronald suggests, for an inevitable double-dip. But it certainly doesn't help promote Blu-ray as a format when the DVD has an entire alternate version of the film included that's entirely missing from the Blu-ray. Let's just hope universal doesn't pull this crap when they get around to releasing LEGEND or MALLRATS on Blu.

Vincent

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I think we can all agree that Universal will be releasing the TV cut at some point, especially if they already have a HD transfer. Even though, like others, I don't consider the TV version to be superior, I also don't find the theatrical version all that great due to the heavy handed editing, so neither are the true vision of this film IMO. It's pretty clear that an official director's cut isn't going to happen, but perhaps a third party under Lynch's direction could recut it to be closer to the original intent. Okay, so I won't hold my breath....

I agree with Vincent that I won't be pleased if Legend doesn't get a release mirroring the content of the ultimate DVD set, although I suspect that Scott may have more influence on the handling of his catalogue than Lynch does judging by the releases (or lack thereof) of their respective works on home video.

Vincent-P

Second Unit
Universal is being very frustrating on this front for several titles: Waterworld didn't include the extended cut that was recently released on DVD, Apollo 13 is not including the IMAX cut, Dune is not including the extended cut, "Pirate Radio" is not including The Boat That Rocked UK cut; it's especially confusing because Universal has used seamless branching for a lot of titles: King Kong, The Strangers, Death Race...why can't they do it all the time (I do understand there's no way seamless branching could work for Apollo 13 since it's a different aspect ratio for the IMAX cut).

Alex cosmo

Stunt Coordinator
Dune is an unusual situation though isn't it? The extended cut is so totally disowned by the director that his name has been taken off it (twice), maybe it's bad PR to keep releasing that version and they only included it on dvd to squash the bootleg demand for it.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Alex cosmo

Dune is an unusual situation though isn't it? The extended cut is so totally disowned by the director that his name has been taken off it (twice), maybe it's bad PR to keep releasing that version and they only included it on dvd to squash the bootleg demand for it.

So why not release it again on Blu-ray. Oh wait, I know, they can come back with special edition with both versions in 2012 when the Paramount 3D remake is released to theatres. As for me - I am very happy with the Standard DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks