What's new

USHE Announcement: Andrew Lloyd Webber's Love Never Dies (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Promotion: Andrew Lloyd Webber's Love Never Dies Headline Date: TBA
Release Date: 2/7/2012 ANDREW LLOYD WEBBER'S LOVE NEVER DIES Product Source: Made for Video
Theatrical Studio: Theatrical Release: Synopsis: Blu-ray Widescreen (61121301) : Disc 1 (Side A)
Format: Blu-ray UPC: 0-2519-21304-9-6 Unit Type: Standard Number of Media: 1 Street Date: 2/7/2012 PreOrder Date: Run Time (HH:MM): 2 Hours 1 Minute Language: English Disc Type: BD-50 (Single Sided) Packaging: Snap Case with Slip Sleeve Layers: Single Audio: English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
English Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles: English SDH
French European
Spanish
Edition: - Picture: Widescreen Version: - Color/B&W COLOR Rating: Not Rated CARA Rating: - Bonus Features: DVD Widescreen (61121300) : Disc 1 (Side A)
Format: DVD UPC: 0-2519-21304-8-9 Unit Type: Standard Number of Media: 1 Street Date: 2/7/2012 PreOrder Date: Run Time (HH:MM): 2 Hours 1 Minute Language: English Disc Type: DVD-9 (Single Sided) Packaging: Snap Case with Slip Sleeve Layers: Single Audio: English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
English Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles: English SDH
French European
Spanish
Edition: - Picture: Anamorphic Widescreen Version: - Color/B&W COLOR Rating: Not Rated CARA Rating: - Bonus Features:

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
How far the mighty have fallen. So much for Broadway, I guess. I have a friend who saw it on opening night in London and said it was embarrassingly-awful.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The national tour of this show came through Charlotte about a month ago, and while I didn't go to see it, my best friend did and had some strong opinions about it. I've had this disc sitting on my shelf unwatched for YEARS, and today I plan to do something about that so I can see for myself what this is and have some opinions to share here and with my friend about the material.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Well, I did watch Love Never Dies tonight. First, the few positives: it's beautifully shot with quite a film-like presentation at key moments. If one didn't know better, he might be fooled into thinking this wasn't a filmed stage show (the producers only allow applause twice before the end of the piece: after the opening song before the title credit and after Christine's rendition of the title song). The actors are marvelous, particularly the Phantom and Christine, both of whom sing continuously for a large portion of the show and quite high which should put a great strain on even the most trained voices. And the production is mammoth, fitting for a sequel to Lord Lloyd Webber's biggest stage hit.

But the negatives are most damning for me. There really doesn't seem to be any need for this show to exist except as a cash grab for the millions of Phantom fanatics who can't get enough of this legendary love triangle. But the two leading characters are quite different from the first musical: Raoul has become most unpleasant and rather pathetic. The Phantom's obsessive mania which borders of total madness has been dialed back considerably to merely being lovesick. There is a child now which turns out to be the Phantom's: was he the second immaculate conception child in history? I don't remember the Phantom having his physical way with Christine during his time with her in the original show. And while the original show left the story satisfyingly ambiguous, this one definitely ends on an downer that can't please the show's rabid fan base. And, most problematic, the music. While the original is crammed with memorable melodies, this sequel has no memorable music (possibly apart from the "Old Friends" quartet), just a string of bombastic power ballads that blast you back in your seat without capturing your heart. Lloyd Webber's reputation has always been a bit tainted with accusations of "borrowings" from other composers' works to fashion some of his melodies, and here the title song sounds dangerously like he's listened to Deutsch's "Theme from The Apartment" one too many times.

In all, impressed with the talent and production values. Dissatisfied with the story and music.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks