What's new

Used Gear (1 Viewer)

John*K

Stunt Coordinator
My HK AVR7000 is in the repair shop. It's been an extremely frustrating experience, one which I will recount later for the benefit of other users who may need a repair shop in the future. Briefly, it was supposed to be a 2 to 3 business day wait for a diagnosis. The reality has been otherwise: It's been in the shop for two weeks, and on the bench for four business days; but all I can get are two responses, "The technician isn't here yet" and "I don't know; I'll ask the technician when he gets here."

Based on this experience, I am thinking of simply getting another receiver. Yet the thought of the expense of a new receiver depresses me, when I don't have and don't plan on buying the upgraded technology to take advantage ofHDMI (no HDTV), ProLogic IIx (only 5 speakers), etc. So I was thinking of getting a used receiver, even though I am going through audio shop repair hell.

Given this, I was wondering if anybody here had any recommendations for used gear. I am looking for gear with a feature set similar to the AVR7000 from a solid manufacturer (preferably NOT HK at the moment). Also, how will I know what is a good price to pay?

Thanks for listening.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
That's a shame. My local fixit electronics shops, though I've used them rarely, have been excellent.

Anyway. Are you using the component video switching? I'd recommend one of the higher model Integras. A year or so ago I bought a DTR7 for about $300 and it kicks major booty! DD and DTS, no component video switching, my HDTV receiver is hooked directly to my EDTV so one receiver input only does audio.

John*K

Stunt Coordinator
No, my TV doesn't have a component input; only S-Video.

A used Integra sounds good. DTR7. I will have to keep my eyes peeled.

Tom Donaghue

Stunt Coordinator
Hi John;
I'd consider a Yamaha RX-V2500 or Denon AVR-3805 either used, refurbished or new if you can find one. Being last year's (or last couple of year's) models, the prices of these have come down quite a bit and can usually be found between $400-600, fairly substantial drop from the $1,000+ sticker. I've had great success with uBid a few refurb purchases. In fact, all three receivers I'm using (main setup, secondary setup (Denon AVR-886/2106( and bedroom (Yamaha RX-V659)) are all refurb receivers from uBid and all three looked brand new out of the box and are performing flawlessly. AudiogoN is a good place to look for used equipment. The prices likely won't be rock bottom or as cheap as eBay for some items, but most folks that sell on A-Gon take pretty good care of there equipment.

I've previously owned a Denon AVR-2802, 3802 and 3803 and all three of these were fairly strong receivers with a good feature set. The 3805 is a little more up to date and has plenty of on-board power.

I'm currently running a Yamaha RX-V2500 as a pre/pro in my main setup and for the price, it does a heck of a job, has tons of features and is quite the powerhouse when using the internal amps.

Food for thought... -TD

Matt Fig

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Fig
Thanks for the posts guys. This helps tremendously. As I am looking for good equipment that won't strap me. This has been very helpful. Thanks!

jrgreene1968

Agent
Real Name
Harry
make sure you get a guarantee it will work if you buy it online from someone...i bought a denon off the forums here just last week and it didnt work, and the guy refused to refund...

Tom Donaghue

Stunt Coordinator
Jrgreene;
If this was the case, make others here aware of their nick as well as their name if you have it.

These forums can carry negative word-of-mouth just as easiy as they can carry positive. There's no excuse for someone selling DOA equipment on these types of forums unless their a deadbeat scumbag... -TD

jrgreene1968

Agent
Real Name
Harry
Well, after i exchanged several e-mails with the guy he refused refund,so i sent an email to the Moderators to put him on the bad seller list,,and i believe they banned him from the forums, it definately put a sour taste in my mouth getting burned like that. His name is Brian Fineberg...seemed to be a stand up guy, until i asked for a refund...so like i said, if you are buying used...make sure they will guarantee it wont be DOA

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks