What's new

Used B&K AVR-5/307 or new Denon 3805? (1 Viewer)

Jody_R

Auditioning
I was actually set to buy a 1014, but the deal fell through and while I was waiting i checked out audiogon... Basically i was gonna get a 1014 cause they're so cheap, but now I'm wondering if it isn't a compromise. I really wanna have top notch sound for music.

There seem to be some B&K receivers floating around for a bit more than a new denon 3805. I don't know much about the brand though. Is B&K comparable to McIntosh? Hell, I'd even go with a 202 if it sounds really good.... I don't care too much about DPLII because I'm only going 5.1 anyway for the forseeable future and for music I intend on using stereo direct.

For music, do you guys think it's worth saving up some extra money? The receiver will be paired with Paradigm Rerference Studio 40 v3. mains, the 470 center, and adp surrounds. My source for SACD/redbook/dvd-a is gonna be a Pioneer Elite 47Ai or a Denon 2900, depending on what i can get a deal on.

Also, with regards to the B&K 505/507, what's the difference? On their website, they only list specs for the 505. Is the 507 just a 505 with a software update or something? I'm also wondering how consistent B&K is in offering upgrades to their receivers. Can anyone guess on the chance that they'll offer an upgrade on the 307 or 507 to DD+/DTS-HD when they are finalized and the new blu-ray/dvd-hd players start coming out?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In terms of sound, there is no question in my mind that the B&K will sound better than the 3805. It is definitely worth the extra $$ if you want music to sound great, IMO. If you go with the 3805, you will just be upgrading sooner rather than later.

AlbertD

Stunt Coordinator
The difference between the 505 and 507 is that the 505 has a 5 channel amp and the 507 has a...7 channel amp.

There is already an upgrade for the 307 to the 507, and there will be an upgrade for the 307 to the 507 series 2 this summer. I have a 307 upgraded to a 507 and it has everything I want. Sounds fantastic.

It certainly is opinion but the B&K 307/507/507 series 2 are all in a different class than the 3805. No substitute for a high current amp.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
If music is your priority, the B&K will be the better option. Even better would be an Aragon Soundstage preamp and a seperate amp.

timZa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
Anyone have any performance or reliability issues with there 307? i was ready to buy a older B&K AVR 207 but some neg reviews turned me off. also the upgrades B&K offer are they DIY?

timZa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
Any B&K 307 owners here? just wondering what the reliability is, and upgrade features.

Bob Spears

Stunt Coordinator
I am a longtime owner of a B&K AVR 307. The thing has been absolutely reliable and sounds great. I was out today looking at some of the newer HDMI capable AVRs and decided that I have enjoyed my current AVR 307 so much that there is no real need to replace it. It is built like the proverbial brick $hit house and after five years still looks new.

Tim L

Second Unit
I am currently using Reference 50 with 200.7 amp for my main movie watching-I also owned the denon 3805 (which I recently sold to a friend) -honestly I like denon stuff-alot..but the B&K wins hands down-maybe in my example its probably not a fair fight-buts all I have to go on. But the 3805 was sweet and plenty ample for HT movies and music. hey I just recently preordered an HDA2-but with my B&K I cannot receive DD+ or TrueHD because of lack of HDMI on the reference 50-so I am also thinking of maybe swaping out in the near future, damn this new technology. either way you decide you should be very happy-both make fine units.
Tim

timZa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim

Is what im wondering is the DD+ or TrueHD sound that much better then current DD? i myself can't tell much of a difference between the DD, DTS,ES etc.if it's DD it all sound the same to me.

Tim L

Second Unit
Is what im wondering is the DD+ or TrueHD sound that much better then current DD? i myself can't tell much of a difference between the DD, DTS,ES etc.if it's DD it all sound the same to me?

I can't answer that-wish I could, but it seems it wil be a while before I experience it-or at least until I replace my B&K.
Tim

Randy C Sr

Stunt Coordinator
I too own a B&K Ref 50. Reliable? Hell yeah! I started with a Ref 20. I didn't want to spend the money for an upgrade so I just straight out bought the Ref50 and moved the Ref 20 to the bedroom. Both have been bullet prove. They just don't die. I spent hours auditioning B&K against Yamaha and Denon when they were setup side by side at Tweeter. The B&K has less bells and whistles, but the depth, detail and clarity of the sound stands out. The only thing I have ever heard negative is the click you hear when switching from one source to another. That was designed intentionally. If that is a problem B&K also offers a fix for that which will remove the click. Personally I like the idea of knowing I have changed sources with the sound of the click.

I'm not bad mouthing Denon. I like their products, but the 505 or 507 will blown the that Denon you are asking about away.

Phil_O

Stunt Coordinator

I have to stop reading the forums on this site. I keep wanting to upgrade a couple things, but can't right now. (owner of a 3805 that I love, but can't help but wonder what I'm miissing).... I believe the medical term for this is upgraditis. I'm fully infected! :)

Tim L

Second Unit
nothing to do with this thread- but I just noticed in my profile that I joined HTF forum in 1970? I guess i better look into that
Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks