USB Questions RE: Dell DJ Ditty

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Arthur S, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Hi all.

I just got a Dell DJ Ditty. 512 MB + FM, for $39 plus tax, if applicable. They are still available if anyone is interested.

http://www.dell.com/content/products...s=19l=en&s=dhs

It turns out that the Ditty is a high speed USB device, and my Dell 4400 computer does not have a high speed USB port.

I got a message that says:

"The device will function at reduced speed...."

I am charging the Ditty and the instructions call for a 2.5 hour period.

I would much appreciate it if anyone can answer my questions.

1) Does the computer have to be turned on for the USB port to be "active" for me to charge the Ditty, or is the USB port active even with the computer is turned off?

2) Given the "reduced speed", should I charge the Ditty for more than 2.5 hours. For example, should I charge it for 5 hours instead of 2.5 hours?

3) Are there any other aspects of this that I should be aware of?

Thanks again for any help you can provide.

2. Dennis*G

Dennis*G Supporting Actor

1) The computer will have to be on for the port to be active
    2) I do not think power specs from 1.1 are any different then 2.0 so it should charge in the same amount of time
    3) ----

3. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Thanks Dennis!

In the owner's manual, it shows the Ditty plugged into the USB port with the display side facing up. I can only get the Ditty to fit the port with the display side down. I can only assume that the port is installed "backwards" and that it doesn't matter that the display is face down.

One other thing. The Ditty came with a free 30 day "subscription" to Napster. That was a pleasant surprise. That should give me more than enough time to load the 20 or so songs that 512 holds.

Thanks again [​IMG].

4. Dennis*G

Dennis*G Supporting Actor

NP.

Yes you are correct in that it does not matter that yoiur 'face' is down. There is only one way to plug into a usb port and some mfg just have then facing different ways.

also with 512mb of room, I imagine you can get a heck of a lot more then 20 songs on there, probably more like 120 songs [​IMG]

5. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Yeah, the Dell site says 220, but the little linky thing says " Assumes audio format is 64kbps WMA encoding" [​IMG]

Why not assume 1kbps and claim you can put 14,000 songs on there! [​IMG]