What's new

US television series available outside of the US? (1 Viewer)

John*D

Second Unit
There are TONS! We have the best shows and movies...

Who wouldn't want them on DVD? :)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
The original pilot episode and the entire second season of Twin Peaks, for example, has been available in some overseas markets but have yet to surface in an official R1 capacity.

Kieran Brown

Agent
There's so many!!

There are a few that haven't been released in the US, like Ally McBeal seasons 1 and 2.

But we have everything from Buffy to Friends to Six Feet Under to Alias to 24 to Charmed to Smallville to The Simpsons to Family Guy to The O.C. ETC.

:)

Can't wait to see what the rest of this year and 2006 brings.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Could you possibly post some of the ones released that are being held up by music rights here in the U.S. (like Ally)?

Thanks.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The rest of the world generally gets US shows on DVD before the US does.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Cartoons in the UK not in the US (Some may be from elsewhere and I didn't know):
Complete Dungeons & Dragons
Complete Visionairies
Cool McCool (1 Disc of a handful of shorts)
Beetle Bailey (1 disc of a handful of shorts not in the US)
Rainbow Brite (multiple releases)
either Wuzzles or Popples (didn't buy)
VRTroopers( various discs, not a cartoon)
Laurel & Hardy animated cartoons, 1 disc with a few shorts

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis

Some yes:
24 (*I think*)
Friends
Ally McBeal
Buffy
Angel
West Wing

Some no:
The Simpsons
Alias
X-Files

The reason is probably "local":
For example, 24 S3 was just released in R2 France (24 S4 is about to be released in R2 UK)

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

In most cases, syndication deals are to blame. Shows are held up because a home video release cannot be made available until the syndication deal(s) have expired.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Also with current shows, they tend use the DVD release to promote the new season so they hold the DVDs back until shortly before the new season begins. For example, 24: Season Four DVD will be out around December and Season Five starts airing in January.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
The first three seasons of Bewitched are on dvd in Japan. Soon to be four. While the US only has released first season. The Bionic Woman also has a collection of episodes on dvd in United Kingdom, I believe.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Yep, they do, but they're a limited # of eps and they're not in chronological order on the disks. I passed on them for those reasons even though this is the #1 series that I'm wanting out on R1 DVD. According to Bill Hunt at the "'Bits" site (Digital Bits), the bionic series are coming in spite of the assumed legal/rights issues that we suspect are the main reason for the delays in releasing both series. Bill thinks late this year or early '06 for these 2 series on R1 DVD. Sure hope he's right :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks