What's new

US Sony Music dumps SACD (1 Viewer)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
For the last couple of years, US Sony Music's SACD output has been limited to a couple of "re-performance" SACDs and some RCA Living Stereo SACD titles. Looks like the Living Stereo SACD series is done since no new releases are planned (and I'd encourage SACD fans to pick up these wonderful sounding SACDs). Just now, I received an e-mail from Zenph Studios, which produced the 2 "re-performance" SACDs (Glenn Gould and Art Tatum) with Sony, that its next "re-performance" release, "Rachmaninoff plays Rachmaninoff", will NOT be on SACD. This is apparently Sony's decision, although the e-mail indicated there may be room for negotiations. I guess US Sony Music is done with SACD....which is strange since US Sony Electronics just introduced its new $1,500 CD/SACD player (the 5400ES), not to mention several other manufacturers have announced new Blu-ray players that will include SACD playback.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I can't speak for other recordings, but the Gould and Tatum works are in my estimation masterpieces. I am getting close to owning their entire output (LP and CD). Some of the Tatum works have been more difficult to obtain over the years.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Disappointing news but Sony has not really been supporting the music side of SACD in the U.S. for a while. I don't understand Sony business strategy at all. The 5400 is an amazing unit, my friend Tom has one. All Sony needs to do is release a few big titles a year. It's not a major investment but they are struggling financially. It appears the consumer strategy is very disjointed with the hardware and software sides not communicating at all.

townsend

Agent
Real Name
Scott
I can't figure Sony out either. But I speculate that somehow, Sony thinks it can make money off of hardware, or actually will make money off of hardware, while it simply isn't cost effective for them to issue SACDs.

I'm quite grateful that Mobile Fidelity has recently announced that it will issue Doobie Brothers, Toulouse Street on SACD! See listing at Music Direct.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Danny Tse

Just now, I received an e-mail from Zenph Studios, which produced the 2 "re-performance" SACDs (Glenn Gould and Art Tatum) with Sony, that its next "re-performance" release, "Rachmaninoff plays Rachmaninoff", will NOT be on SACD.
I just picked up the Gould Zenph SACD and am thrilled with it. What an amazing idea.

So the Tatum disc is the only other Zenph SACD? That's unfortunate.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I picked up the Art Tatum "Re-performance" SACD recently. It is awesome.

It's really too bad it seems they won't be getting recorded to SACD anymore. It'd be cool if they were able to deal with the Gershwin piano rolls--especially the Rhapsody in Blue.

knife

Auditioning
Real Name
Joseph
I purchased one Dvd of micheal Jackson track, used but sony brand dvd, how can i justify it?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by knife

I purchased one Dvd of micheal Jackson track, used but sony brand dvd, how can i justify it?
What?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by knife

What?

hmm how did that happen/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks