What's new

Upscaling/HDef DVD Player merged thread (2 Viewers)

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Page,
I ordered one of the Zeniths from a HT shop about 2 hours away today. The aforementioned Expert Electronics (based in Flint, MI). It was the last one they had available from the shipment they will have arriving soon. They also mentioned that they had heard a rumor about the 1080i over component being disabled. They also said they can't keep the unit in stock, it keeps selling out.

This said, the Canadians keep teasing us, because the FCC has no clout in Canada. The LG model they have up there (clone of the Zenith) will likely be available with 1080i over component indefinitely, if you feel like importing it from Canada.

Gauchner's is reportedly sold out at this point (even though their website says in stock), but will be receiving some more units in about a week (per AVS forum).

Panny's newest $300 MSRP player was supposed to have Faroudja, but they later pulled it from the spec :frowning: My CP72 was a very very good unit until it died. The XP30s have better designed motor units, so they don't die like the RP82s/CP72s.

The disadvantage of the DVI is that at this time, the player is crushing the top 20% whites via the DVI output. An educated guess I heard from someone was that this is due to a difference between the PC DVI setting and the electronics DVI setting - the current setup is likely set to the PC standard.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
As reported, the resellers are sold out on the zeniths. The reports that a few resellers still had some is stale info, that was last week. If you haven't odered one by now you must wait until August when the new non-1080i component version ships.

Chris Huber

Second Unit
I just hooked up my JVC DVD player and can now adjust my Color Matrix from SD to HD. Is that the setting I want? There is a slight difference.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Don, you're making some assumptions there. Only a very strong rumor is going around about the 1080i/component being disabled, and no one has said it will be by August. Also, the stores are sold out, but not necessarily until August.

Page Ferrell

Agent

Don-Berg: I don't think my info is stale, actually I think it's the other way around (!) The posts regarding availability in the long zenith thread at the AVS forum indicate that there are some retailers who have and/or who are imminently getting more stock on these dvd players. I'm not sure why you are consistently compelled to indicate otherwise. If you're not 100% sure, please don't make blanket statements. You could misinforming others. Anyhow, the dates of the posts in the AVS forum indicating imminent availability are actually today. For example. This post is from a retailer made today, Expert Entertainment Electronics:

DVB-318 Available!
OK, the other store I ordered from is Expert Entertainment Electronics. Price is $199 and he still has some available in the shipment he's getting this friday. See Chris's email reply to me below, his phone number is included. *disclaimer - I am note endorsing this company in any way, I am just helping out people who are still looking for the player. Thanks!

Ryan:

Yes, we did confirm with Zenith that our most recent DVB-318 order will arrive shortly. And yes, we have pre-sold more of them, but we do have more left. Also, I have confirmed from Zenith that they can send me as many as I need for the immediate future (we buy direct form Zenith and not through a distributor). If you wish to order more, please let me know now so that I may immediately submit an order and get them here in a timely fashion.

Sincerely,
Chris McLaughlin
Expert Entertainment Electronics
(810) 233-8122

In addition, another poster, today, said he received this information from a second retailer, Gochnauer's:
Gochnauer's responded to my email just this morning:

"Next available batch due in about 7 days at same $160 price delivered."
Given these notes, I'm not sure: (1) the information I posted is "stale," (2) "no one can get a unit until August." I'm really not sure what your agenda is here. If in doubt, I surely would not speculate on the availability of a product, unless I was a distributor or retailer. I don't think you are...We are both relying on forums and others' comments. Right?

Also, again, what are your sources that indicate the component over 1080i is being disabled? This is very important information that should be very carefully explicated for fear that you are not misinforming other would-be shoppers. If you have confirmed news, then please post your links. Thanks!

- Page

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Page,

If you check around in this section for other posts by Don Berg in other threads you'll get an idea of his fanaticism with regard to his XP-30 and it's supposed superiority over every other player on the market.

I'm sorry I gave the impression that upconversion via component was definitely going away, I was just repeating the most logical explanation for the supposed 2 month draught on the 318B. This possible elimination of the 1080i over component upconversion is very important to me as my set does not have DVI inputs. Since no other player available from a dvd consortium member has upconversion via component in the US, it seems logical to assume this slipped by LG in this particular model and will probably be "corrected" if it hasn't already.

I have one on order from Gochnauer which should come from the batch they say they'll be receiving in about 6 days. I am aware that it will not pillarbox 4/3 and that when set to 1080i my tv set will lock to Full. This is not a problem for me as I also have a JVC that will pillarbox or for that matter could also set the 318B to 480p or 480i for special features sections. The 318B IS capable of doing a vertical-only stretch so it can be used with non-anamorphic widescreen dvds in 1080i mode.

I am currently running both a JVC XV-NA77SL with scaling and pillarboxing and a Panny CP-72 in my system, switching via the 2 component inputs on my receiver. If the Zenith I receive still has 1080i via component my plan is to replace the CP-72 with it, and continue to use the JVC for 4/3 stuff. If the 1080i turns out not to work via component I'll just store it away until I get a DVI capable set.

Since my set is crt based and has no DVI inputs, the white crush problem won't apply to me, and all the other reported problems have alread got either workarounds or happen only with DVI or only with fixed pixel displays.

Page Ferrell

Agent
I hearya, Steve Schaffer. Yes, I have read Don_Berg's posts. He seems very knowledgeable, but also seems to go out of his way to push the XP-30 just a "bit too much," and concurrently is "a bit too eager" to find faults with the zenith. And ya know what? Everyone's opinion matters. However, when facts are distorted, then it's not cool.

We're all reading the same thing...I've been pretty closely following the AVS forum thread on the zenith -- I typically spend more of my AV-based forum time over at that site as it's more active, so I know what folks are saying, and the latest scoop on availability, and it's not what has been reported above. Only Wild West Electronics, where I got my zenith (which I have yet to use, as I'm in the midst of rebuilding my home theater due to renovations), has claimed that the unit is out until August.

Anyway, I sure hope that they do not lose this upconversion over component, for other sakes, as this FCC rule is absurd. I'll be using my DVI connection for my set top cable box's HD output, and thus using the component outputs of the zenith for 1080. While I believe it's plausible that this feature could very well be modified by LG down the line, it's not yet a given. It surely does make sense as an outcome, given that it's happened before with the LiteOn, and given that there's regulatory issues. Still, nothing's happened until the manufacturer, or at least a reputable retail or wholesale source, reports it.

Regarding the zenith: I'll be in the same boat as you, regarding 4:3 issues. I'm going to buy a 34" CRT, and have to deal with the non-anamorphic fit. But, most dvd's I watch are anamorphic widescreen, and I'm too tired by the end of the flick to care about the special features (kids'll do that toya), and if I DO care about the special features, I surely don't care if they are stretched or not fit perfectly. Regarding TV shows on DVD, not really something I would buy either. However, I respect the fact that other consumers do, so different strokes for different folks.

I really just want to make sure the facts are reported as objectively as they can be. Picture quality, features, etc., that's all debatable. Speculation about availability and revisions to a product without links and sources, that's not.

Thanks.
- Page

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member

Discussion is fine. I like the discussion. Let's keep it to discussion of the merits of DVD players only please, OK, and keep the unfriendly remarks about other members to ourselves.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
What exactly is the difference in the appearance of an HDTV broadcast picture when you can manually select SD versus HD?

Actually the instruction manual should say so too, unless the manufacturer is trying to hide something from us consumers.

Sandor

Auditioning
I have this Panny 53" set in question...I have noticed in the manual that you can't adjust that SD/HD unless you are in 480p. I dont that, I can adjust it on OTA programming locally but when im trying to adjust it with my new toshiba sd-4900 I cant see to change it (grayed out) even though its set to progressive at at 480p in the dvd settings. I dont know....

Can anyone comment on the SD4900, I paid 70 bucks for it, though it was a steal. I really wanted the 318, but I dont know if I can get one, and also being that eventually HD will slowly creep into the market I though what they hay..and I was eager to see some DVDs I had. Im sure it will be pricey (HD-DVD) but for 70 bucks I though ill try it.

DVD PICS were between the TOSHIBA SD4900 or PANASONIC DVDS27......did I make the right choice? I am flipping between 480I and 480P and dont see THAT dramatic difference I was expecting. The picture is good dont get me wrong....just not all that I though. My old sony 43 still has a fantastic picture, and my new set is NOT double the picture quality......although seems vert clear and nice on say PBS 1080I.

Chris Huber, this is the same set and deal I got.....though it was a good one...are you happy with the set? Any tips for me.....thanks!

Sandor

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
I just can't accept the Zenith's faults, especially the lack of support for 4:3 titles. I don't want to have to use two DVD players, I prefer a single great DVD player that works with all title types! If Zenith ever fixes the faults or eventually releases a new improved model that addresses them and continues to enable HD output on component (though that looks doubtful due to Hollywood's pressure) - I'd be its biggest fan. But I wouldn't get a new player unless my XP30 died, but its so reliable that could take a very long time! For the past 5 years I got a new model every year, but I'm tired of that.

Page Ferrell

Agent
I think that's fine Don_Berg. No one, at least not me, wants you to buy a new/2nd dvd player nor revise your opinions or preferences. However, you should be more careful about the alleged facts you post regarding modifications to players and availability. Misinformation does justice to no one -- especially folks who read these forums and look up to regulars like you who apparently know tons and like to offer suggestions. Given that, there's an implicit forum decorum standard, and even a higher one for folks like you who espouse much technical knowledge. Please make sure you either post links or sources when you make generalizations about specific changes to players and/or availability of specific players. It will only serve to enhance your established credibility in this forum.

thanks, Page

Chris Huber

Second Unit
Sandor:

Yes, this TV was a great deal. I am currently in a TownHouse that has a not so big family room. So, in reality, I am only 7 feet away from the screen! That way to close for this Panny 53 inch. Sometimes I get sick with alot of motion on screen...

I have come to the conclusion that you need to be ~12-15 feet away from this guy to make clearness/sharpness in it's picture come out.

I'll have to wait a year when I move out to get that much farther away.

What are your experiences with this TV?

Page Ferrell

Agent
Latest news: The zenith dvb-318's are in fact currently available. This information below regarding zenith dvb-318 availability is from the CEO of Wild West Electronics, posted at the AVS Forum on May 19 at 6:43am:

DVB318 Urgent Availability Update
Hello all,

As I stated in earlier post we are sold out of this unit, we were told last week that the earliest we would see this unit would be July/August timeframe. We were told yesterday that these units are not sold out at all and that we were told in error as the rep did not check all of the Zenith Wharehouses.

We were told that they have upwards of 3000 units in-stock. We had assumed that when we were told they had run out last week that Best Buy or Circuit City had purchased their remaining inventory. As a result, we placed a new order with Zenith and confirmed with other Zenith people that they had them in-stock.

We expect this order to arrive around Friday - Tuesday of next week depending on any freight issues we have with the freight carrier. Please note that we have just undergone a complete web site redesign and as a result are having some problems publishing our web site, prior to completion of the redesign we were unable to publish our current item status as the programming for the new site was not complete.

Due to the immense size of our site, it took 27 hours over the weekend just for Yahoo! to publish our site. We then had some bugs in some code that needed repair, it has been repaired on the non-published version of our site and has been publishing since Monday. As a result of the above, our site still says this unit is sold out and we also turned off the shopping cart so people who did not see our availability did not order anyway.

Anyone interested in placing an order can do so via telephone by calling 1-877-936-8494 Mon- Fri. 9a-5p MST and on Sat 10a-5p MST. I will update everyone on when our site is able to accept online orders for this product. If you have any questions at all, you may contact me directly by email me at [email protected] or by calling me at 1-877-936-8494 x101.

Thank you again for all of your support and have a nice evening!

Sincerely,
Doug Gillis, Wild West Electronics Inc

This copy & pasted post is not to suggest that those here who do not want this dvd player should go out and buy one. It is merely to set the record straight -- given the misinformation posted by others and subsequent misattributions of posting "staleness" regarding replies to said misinformation -- about the availability of a player for which some folks may be interested. This information is quite "fresh" (i.e. not stale). It's always preferable to have choices...

Page

Sandor

Auditioning
how MUCH better do you think this 318 zenith player will be compared to my new toshiba 4900? Will it be that dramatic that I should return my current player and try to get my hands on it?

I am confused...

Chris Huber -
I love the set, its very nice. I am sitting about 9-10 and I dont feel its that close actually. I can always later in a bigger room use it and im sure at 12-15 itll still look great but I like the 10 foot range, very theater like IMO. Ill post a pic so you can see the setup and compare...

what sources are you using?
I am currently using some cheap overair antenna, seems to work fine and my Toshiba 4900 PS DVD player....cant see that much diff from progressive to regular though oddly...

Getting Voom installed next week, scheduled for the 26th!
CANT WAIT :)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have the Bravo D1 with a 42" Toshiba via DVI and I have tried the LiteOn 2001 and the Samsung 931. The Samsung's picture looked grainy to me, plus it had a weird aspect ratio distortion on my set. The LiteOn wasn't bad, but not as good as the Bravo. The picture on an upconverting player is in middle of regular DVD and a true HD source. So basically the WOW factor of going from regular DVD to HD is cut in half. Does that make sense?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
A true HD source would be HD broadcasts from the likes of ABC, CBS, etc. If you switch from watching 480i DVD to an HD broadcast, the difference is rather dramatic. An upconverted 480i DVD to 1080i is not as dramatic but certainly noticeable. Hope that's more clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation192
Recent bookmarks