What's new

Upgrading System (1 Viewer)

Nathan Bjork

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I got my brother old truck once I got my license, and he left me with a decent stereo, but it broke after a few weeks. I belive the amp burnt or somthing, because it will not turn on at all, and I checked all the fuses and connections, so it looks like im gonna be getting a new amp. I'm not looking for the best out there, just something better than what I had.

Ok, the old amp is a Interfire 4ch, bridgable, 400w total max output. My brother forgot all the specs, but I found this out from the box, which isnt much.

I've got a Kicker comp 10" 4ohm 125w max sub, it is also breaking (the foam surround is tearing from hitting the back of the seat).

2xPioneer 5 1/4" 2-way, 120watt max speakers.

The sub was bridged on the 3rd/4th channel.

I have a single cap truck, so the one 10" is just enough, but can't get quite as loud as I want (my SVS spioled me). I don't wanna spend more than $100 for the amp, and I kinda have my eye on this one, but I dont know much about car amp brands. Would that amp be an upgrade or is it crap?

Now for the sub... I was looking at this JBL , I am very pleased with my JBL home theater, so there car audio shouldn't be to far off... I can get this for $50, I will spend up the $70 on a new sub, is there a better bang for the buck sub out there?

One more question... Im gonna have to replace my pioneers, and I was looking at these JBL's, are they worth it?

Thanks

Brad_Harper

Stunt Coordinator
The sub you have chosen looks to be a good one. JBL makes pretty decent stuff. The amp however needs work. In car audio multi-channel amps you get what you pay for. A $100 budget isn't going to get you much brand new. $200 will get you what you need. I would look for something used if money is a concern. Amps don't really "wear" out if taken care of. I would avoid that Lanzar though. You'll just be disappointed with it because there is no way it puts out the power ratings it says it does. The fuse sizes are too small for a 400W RMS amp at 4 ohms.
Check out Ebay for something good and used.

Nathan Bjork

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Brad. I was looking at the brand "Pyle" and I didn't know if they were a good brand? Are they known for having problems or anyhting?

also is Boss a good brand?

Brad_Harper

Stunt Coordinator
Pyle's older stuff (before 1995) was decent, but now they are a pretty low level brand. Pyramid owns them now I think. Boss isn't much better. The Lanzar, Boss or Pyle amps will power your sub, just don't expect stellar performance from any of them. Some lower end stuff that is not too bad is US acoustics. I have a 4x65W RMS amp of theirs in my car right now and have no complaints. It puts out its rated wattage but it was around $200 though. Unfortunately there is no such thing as a really super cheap good performing amp in the car audio world. Try to find some reviews at the car audio online stores about your products and decide from there.

StephenHa

Second Unit
if you want a good amp for a decent price use ebay, most amps from a few years ago were better than the current ones, and sometimes go dirt cheap

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks