What's new

Upgrading speakers for Kenwood vr-507. Help me. Thanks (1 Viewer)

Jeff Sch.

Stunt Coordinator
Basically, last December I got this setup.
Vr-507
JBL- N26 fronts,N24 rears, N Center
Sony-SAWM-40

This DEc. I upgraded my 27" toshiba to a Panny 36" Flat Screen Tau.

I am now looking to upgrade my setup a little futher. What is the best possible things I should get?
Speakers,Reciever,sub???

I mean i love my vr-507 and was looking at both JBL N38 ($145) and JBL ND 310($200). Give me some input on a sound investment. I mean would i hear a huge difference?

keir

Stunt Coordinator
my first home theater was a kenwood vr-407 receiver with paradigm titans and cc-170. it was pretty nice, but it still didnt sound good enough to completely satisfy me. im now happy with my ht after getting 3 axiom m2i's for my front three speakers. after a/b comparing my paradigm titans with my friends axiom m22's it was easy to tell they were a better speaker. i dont plan on buying any more home theater gear at all. i think after you get speakers that satisfy you, all the other parts in your ht are just icing. if you still want to spend more money there are plenty of ways, but getting the speakers right makes way more difference than anything else.

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
Jeff I had almost an identical setup until a couple of months ago. Swap the 507 for a 509 and the sub for a cerwin vega 10" and we are identical. I also had a similar post like this with little response. It is had for people to make suggestions because the question is so broad.

First off what is your budget? Second, is there anything that you really do not like about your system? That will help give a starting point.

IMHO the biggest improvement would be

Sub
Speakers
Receiver

From my experience the biggest thing I noticed was the sub. I recently built myself a Shiva and for the same price I paid for the cerwin vega it is a night and day difference in output and sound quality.

I highly doubt you will notice a difference going up to the N38 or ND 310. I would suggest waiting until you can change at least all three front speakers and look at a different line or a different make. YMMV

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I would tackle your sub first. My suggestion is go with the best bang for your dollar sub you can muster/afford. I suggest a SVS+. This will make a huge difference. I then would move on to your speakers next. This also will make a big difference and a very good one if you are careful.

The VR-507 is/was a very good 20-20 rated bang for your dollar receiver. I still have mine. It will go some day as all/most HT gear does but it will be "my" last piece of gear to go.

Jeff Sch.

Stunt Coordinator
by the way i justed not even 20 minutes ago stuffed my sawm40 finanlly after 1 3/4 yrs procrastinating. It sounds nice and tight. Filled with about 2-4 inches

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks