What's new

Upgrading HTIB to Receiver (1 Viewer)

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Hi there,

A year or so ago, my wife purchased a sony DAV FX-500 for me as a gift.
Sony DAV-FX500 XM Ready, 5-disc DVD home theater system with digital video output and upconversion at Crutchfield.com

I've been just fine with it for a while, but I've already run out of inputs. I wanted to purchase a receiver, such as Sony STR-DG720.
Sony STR-DG720 Home theater receiver with HDMI switching at Crutchfield.com

What I want to do here is obviously save some $$ and not purchase all new speakers. I'd like to "recycle" the speakers, however the DAV system has special connectors. Can I remove the end, strip the wire and plug into the new receiver? If so, is there something I need to watch out for?

Also, for the sub, it has the same connector, on the DG720, the connector looks different. I guess I might need to change the sub also.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

bpickell

Agent
Real Name
Brian
What do the speaker inputs on the speaker themselves look like.. I seen a back view of the rear speakers only, and those had standard speaker inputs. If that is the case with the fronts and center speaker as well then I would say yes just cut the connector off as it should just be a standard speaker wire. What does the sub connector look like? Is the input on the sub the standard RCA type like other subs or is it different as well?

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
The sony DG720 Sub looks like a standard RCA, and also looks like standard speaker connectors.

The sony davfx 500 has some proprietary type of connector. It looks like they split the + - for you can just put it into a connector that you cannot accidentally reverse. I cannot find a picture of the connector anywhere...

Not sure about the ohms though. I'd prefer to just buy a new sub and a new receiver, and not replace all the speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks