What's new

Upgrading From Home Theater In A Box (1 Viewer)

like clockwerk

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
I have had a simple home theater in a box in my bedroom for a few years now and looking to upgrade to a better system. I dont want to do it all at once though. I would like to buy a reciever first, then better speakers later. Something i noticed was that my sub only connects with basic speaker wire, not a subwoofer wire which I see is needed if I want to buy a good reciever. Do I have to buy a new subwoofer or is there something else I can do

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
You don't list models, but if a sub connects with basic speaker wire it probably means it's passive. (It's powered by an external amp, not an amp built into the sub housing as is usually done these days.) If the sub were a good one you could get a single channel amp and connect the amp between the new receiver and the old sub. But chances are that the sub was included in the HTiB and the sub not a high performing one. If so, your best bet would be to get a new sub. By the way, hooking a new receiver to those HTiB speakers is not likely to improve the sound any. Most of the audio charicteristics come from the speakers. Also, if the HTiB was a low-end model it may have been using very low resistance speakers (3-4 ohm). If so, you would have to get a receiver that can handle that low of a resistance. 4 ohm receivers are available, but usually more expensive; 3 ohms is really just used in low end HTiBs.

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
A new receiver *may* help slightly as it will likely have less THD than a basic HTiB system ... but the full effect from an upgrade will be realized with better speakers and powered sub. If money is the issue (an usually is these economically challenged days) you might try looking on eBay or Craigslist for a good used receiver and speakers - until finances allow a wider selection of components.

whkrems

Auditioning
Real Name
William Krems
I may have what you need but don't know, brand new to this. I worry this might be construed as advertising something for sale, don't want to do that in this forum. Just saying, might be what you need. My son bought a new system a couple years ago, been sitting in storage unopened. Genesis Media Labs G-506. White van sales have a lot of bad press but the system sounds and looks good to me and others. Thinking I'd put it on eBay, I came here when looking for info on value of it. Looking for clues of what constitutes high end system, documentation has: 2000 Watts Total System Power. and, Speakers: Hand Dipped Aluminum Cone, Zinc Coated Basket, Neodymium Iron Boron Magnet, Subwoofer: Stamped zinc Coated Basket, Double Stacked Strontium Magnet, Poly Enhanced Composite Cone. I unpacked and set it up and surround sound sounds great to me but then I don't have an ear for music :( Had 'The Recruit' DVD playing in Pioneer DVD player with video going to 42 inch LCD TV and audio to the Genesis Receiver CD input. Wondering what would be a definitive test, I read somewhere about getting a meter of some kind.

bugman53

Grip
Real Name
josh
SPAM!! Sorry to bust you bubble there is not anything high end about that system at all. It was built the cheapest possible way to look good to make a sale. All the crap written on the box means nothing it's a bunch of jibbersh. But I'm sure you know this and are probably dumping this.....

whkrems

Auditioning
Real Name
William Krems
No not dumping, I know nothing about this sound stuff, that's why I ask how to tell what is good. Can't go by what's on the box what can you go by? Open up a speaker?

bugman53

Grip
Real Name
josh
If that was not your intention then sorry for the harsh comment. Pretty much the stick with the brand name stuff for any kind of quality, Infinity, Polk, Harmon kardon, Boston acoustic. There are some good stuff under lesser know names also. And Bose is NOT high-end...contrary to popular belief. 99.99% of the time white van speakers are going to sound like crap. There is so much into making a balanced good sounding system that I would take long time to explain all of it here. You can Google and read for days. There is no way to look at the speakers and tell. But the 3 dollar paper cone speakers in most of that stuff with no x-max and no power are going to sound like crap. As to what's on the box of cheap systems they flat out lie most of the time. IE a 1000watt system may put out 80watts RMS. The frequency response is bad, spikes, Bad sounding tweeters, No bass…Ect.

whkrems

Auditioning
Real Name
William Krems
Thanks, I'm learning more all the time. Testing speakers now with ohm meter, one says 7 ohms. Supposedly 2000 watt system, Guess i check RMS next.

bugman53

Grip
Real Name
josh
Cool, Start a new thread and we will see what we can get out of that system! we can probably help you tune it up some to sound better. 7 ohms means you have 8 ohm speakers, the ohm ratting is more of an average over the frequency band as it changes with frequency. Normally 4 ohm speakers measure around 3.4 or so. Do you have the equipment to test RMS?

whkrems

Auditioning
Real Name
William Krems
Only equipment is RadioShack digital multimeter. All 5 external speakers read 6.8 ohms, woofer reads 5.8 ohms, stamp on speaker: 6 and the ohm symbol and 50 W. Have sound problem, Good volume from 2 front speakers, very little volume from other 3. Had the problem before and played with volume knob on the receiver and volume settings on the remote to fix it.

whkrems

Auditioning
Real Name
William Krems
Only equipment is RadioShack digital multimeter. All 5 external speakers read 6.8 ohms, woofer reads 5.8 ohms, stamp on speaker: 6 and the ohm symbol and 50 W. Have sound problem, Good volume from 2 front speakers, very little volume from other 3. Had the problem before and played with volume knob on the receiver and volume settings on the remote to fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks