What's new

Upgrade Time! (1 Viewer)

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff

I don't have experience with that Toshiba line, but I have a 72MX195 which is a 72" Cinema Series, DLP model. I've had it for a year now and love the picture. It is one of the best pictures I have seen (note: I have never seen a professionally calibrated set, and I calibrated mine with DVE). I have never experienced the silk screen effect mentioned earlier.

I did have an early bulb failure. Mine went out at 50 hours, but Toshiba sent a repairman over immediately to fix it for free as part of the one year warrantee. A little research also showed me that Toshiba had some bulb issues with their supplier and extended the warrantee on bulbs to two years.

I bought the extended warrantee. To me, it just seems that all types (LCD, DLP, Plasma, etc.) of these HD TVs can have problems so I spent the extra bucks.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Hey Roomie! :)

Gregg can fill in the details, which escape me at the moment, but IIRC what he told me was that the LCoS sets tend to lose image accuracy after a while. I'm assuming that this is a trend he's seen when calibrating them.

My Sears actually had an open-box 60XBR2 for something like $2030, which was very tempting after reading about all the geometry problems with the new Sammys. Gregg's response to the idea was "well, I'll still talk to you if you buy a Sony. . ." Then I discovered the 65" Toshiba on the next shelf.

BTW, did you see the fine-art-like pictures of us in the HTF 10-year anniversary pages?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Thanks for the warranty info, Steve & Jeff. I've been planning to get one (wish I'd gotten one last time); it's just that it's one thing to plan it and another to actually drop $600 (more than 1/3 the cost of the set itself!).

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
On the subject of bulbs, I notice a lot of people buying them to stockpile rather than waiting for them to fail -- is replacing a bulb a relatively easy job, or something you'd want a service tech to handle?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
It's more of a lamp assembly than a bulb, and it's quite easy to replace. There are instructions in the owner's manuals, looks about as difficult as changing a vacuum cleaner bag though a screwdriver may be necessary on some sets.

Pete Walker

Agent

This is the set I'm looking at. It's $1699 at CC. I spoke to Eric in the Bay Shore location on Long Island just tonight. Problem is their extended warranty is $549... blah.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Aaron, thanks for the SXRD info. I may shoot Gregg a note in a few days (not sure if he's back from Vegas yet).
Of course!! Good times...

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
gregg is back ...sort of:
in hartford now...in NJ Sunday and monday, then Philly, then Florida...then at the lake house for August (yeah!!).

Gregg

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Too bad, I think we'll be out of town when you're here. Let me know next time you're in the neighborhood!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

On the Sears website, the warranty is $600, but the guy at my store said he could do it for $400.

I'm pretty much settled on the Tosh at this point. . .just need to decide whether to add a PS3 (not part of the plan -- or budget -- but I can tack it onto the 0% financing deal). . .

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
So last night we were sitting in front of the dead beast playing trucks, and Lucy said "hey, have you tried plugging in the TV again?" I figured, what's the harm, and did so. Then forgot about it.

About 5 hours later, when I was about to turn in, I walked by the set and noticed that the light wasn't blinking anymore. I pressed the power button. . .and it worked!

On the other hand, I was all set to buy that Toshiba -- I even pre-ordered the Blu-Ray edition of Blade Runner (I wonder if they'll drop the PS3 price again now that they cut the XBox 360 prices). Ugh. Maybe I'll just give the old set to a friend (I wouldn't want to sell it to someone in that condition). Or maybe it'll die again. . .

I couldn't disagree more. I have a 52" Mits DLP that has almost 6,000 hours on the original bulb (almost 3 years). I have already purchased a replacement bulb, and the tv has been telling me that it needs to be replaced soon. I play TONS of Xbox360, and use this for my home theater. I am moving it into a basement rec room I will have finished next month and buying another Mits DLP (1080p 57') for my home theater.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Obviously, not every Mits (or even most of them) is going to have issues, but from poking around and reading up, they definitely seem to me to be at or near the low end of reliability amongst the major brands.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
So now that I've got the PS3 up and running. . .the old TV came back to life AGAIN. And it's still working 24 hours later.

No HDMI = no DVD upconverting. :angry:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The good news is that the set has an HDCP-compatible DVI jack. :)

The bad news is that it died again. :frowning:

Hank_P

Second Unit
I think your old set is teasing you.

So, did you go out and get the Tosh. yet? Which model?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Not yet, but I'm still leaning towards the 65HM167 (which recently disappeared from the least expensive dealer's website :frowning: ). I think at this point it's time to give the old set to a friend who has room for a big TV that only works sometimes and bite the bullet.

Just need to figure out how to get that 250 lb. behemoth to his house. . .

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Circuit City putting the 65HM167 on sale for $1700 + finding one last one of that very unusual stand that Lucy and I love in stock at a nearby store + offering that AAA 10%-off coupon = Aaron pulling the trigger. FINALLY!!!! :)

The good news is that they're scheduled to deliver it on Thursday in time for the U. Miami game. (Unfortunately ABC is the one network I can't get very well in HD.)

The bad news is that I forgot to order an HDMI cable until yesterday, so no PS3 games or BD in HD until next week probably. :frowning:

Thanks to everyone who helped with comments! Especially Gregg, who endured a large number of random phone calls with technical questions. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks