What's new

upgrade time again... need some suggestions (1 Viewer)

KennethF

Stunt Coordinator
I upgraded my speakers to a deftech combo of BP2000TLs, C/L/R 3000, and BPVX/Ps. I have a pretty low end sony avr and dvd player.

I think I've decided on the Denon 3800 dvd player to replace my old one (if other dvd/dvd audio players in this rough price range are any better, please suggest some alternatives).

I'm torn, however, about a pre/pro and amplifier. What suggestions for roughly $5000 would get me the best features and cleanest sound?

Any suggestions are appreciated, and thanks in advance for any advice you can give me. In just the last 6 months since I've started hanging out on this site, I've learned much more than my wife thinks wise about home theater. Thanks again for all the great advice.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Wow, $5k, that's alot of cheddar.
I would go for the best 5 channel amp for around $1.5-2k, and the best pre from $3-3.5k. Some Suggestions
Pre/Pro:
Anthem AVM20
Sunfire TGIII
B&K Ref 50 (TBR)
Krell Showcase
Aragon Stage One
EAD (not sure which model name, but all very good)

Amp:
Too many to mention. Rotel, B&K, Cinenova, ATI, Parasound, everything under the sun.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Off the top of my head I think the Anthem AVM-20 would be worth looking at. The Aragon Stage One is another I would audition. Lexicon is another option if you want Logic 7 and overall a very respected name in HT. Rotel has a new one coming out this fall which would be worth serious consideration if you can wait that long. I don't know anything about it, but Rotel makes great audio gear. I have an mid 90's pro logic pre/pro (the Rotel 960ax) which still sounds great, but I only use it for stereo.

As far as amps I am not even close to an authority. I have only had three different brands, Outlaw, Marantz, and Parasound, and I have to admit I can't really hear much, if any, difference between the amps. To my ears, I thought the Outlaw and the Marantz sounded very alike, while the Parasound sounded a little more colored. All three of those brands can be had relatively cheap (in amp speak) but are known for giving great bang for the buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks