What's new

Upgrade speakers or reeiver? (1 Viewer)

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Pop quiz. What should I upgrade? I have the opportunity to either upgrade my Energy Encore speakers to the Veritas V2.3 and V2.2 or my Denon 3801 to the 4802. Tuff decison since I can only do one.
------------------
Don't make me angry. You won't like me when I'm angry.
hulk.jpg
3EMS Hometheater

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Ultimately, this is a decision only you can make. With that said, you will probably hear the biggest difference with new speakers. Just my $.02 of opinion.

Shanthi

Stunt Coordinator
Best investment you can make is on speakers IMHO, electorincs needs to be upgraded every now and then.
my two cents....

Nick G

Stunt Coordinator
No question, change the speakers if you like the sound of the newer ones better. Other wise do nothing unless there is some specific feature the new reciever has that the old one does not.
Nick

Norm Strong

Stunt Coordinator
A friend of mine has ordered a pair of Technics LX30 large bookshelf speakers, and a Hsu VTF-2 subwoofer. If you want to wait until he gets his I'll be happy to report the results.
------------------
Norm Strong ([email protected])

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Definitely the speakers. I hear the Veritas are pretty sweet.
Patrick
------------------
My DVD Collection
Patrick The 69th most popular name for boys according to the Social Security Administration.

Martice

Screenwriter
After looking at your room I don't think you should go with the floor standing Veritas speakers. It doesn't seem as if you have the room for proper placement but then again I could be wrong. Also, are you planning on changing the rear speakers as well? I would atleast get the Veritas 2.3 speakers (including matching center channel)upfront and see if I could get by with the Encore speakers to take up the rears. However, if you wanted to know an inexpensive alternative, for bettering the chances of a more accurate surround field, I would invest in the very inexpensive Energy XL:16's for the rears after I sold my Energy Encore system.
One more positive thing about getting the Veritas speakers is that it would mean that you would get your speakers off of that high perch that you now have your Encores on. Placing bookshelf speakers on a stand will allow you to bring the tweeters closer to your ear level which I believe will give you a more accurate tonal sense and appreciation for the Veritas's excellent highs and mid-range capabilities.
I notice that you have a toddler and if your toddler is anything like mine, bookshelf speakers on stands may be a no go at this point and you may have to be a little more creative about placement of your speakers and or the risk factors involved with speaker stands and toddlers.
Good Luck
------------------
What if it gets no better than this!?!
[Edited last by Martice on October 11, 2001 at 07:38 AM]

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Once you have 5 good main speakers, you hardly have to upgrade again. Receivers are something that may last a few years before something newer and greater comes out. I agree that the speakers are the weakest link and the most improvement will be gained by upgrading those first.
------------------
Link Removed
15354t.jpg

------------------
My Favourite Movie

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for your replies. I agree that it would be better to upgrade the speakers. I liked the V2.3 but I may have to get the V2.2 because of my room size.
I wish I could upgrade both but my wife would kill me.
Maurice, I now have the front speakers on stands and they do sound much better there. I have my daughter pretty well trained so she never touches them.
biggrin.gif

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
The speakers came in last night so of course I was up most of the night setting them up. I got the 2.4's instead of the 2.3's. I left the encores for the rears and surrounds and added the exl 12 sub. The 2.0 center sounds great. I have not setup the 2.2's yet which I had planned on using for my rears.
I played Gladiator in ES and all I can say is Holly Shit!! The sound stage just engluffed me. It was much better than being at the movies. I then put in a jazz cd and just felt like listening to all my cds over again. The speakers now gives my room a completely new look. I only had a few hours wih them but this weekend I'll be listening to them each waking moment I have. These speakers are just awesome for both movies and music. Energy sure knows how to make a speaker.
------------------
Don't make me angry. You won't like me when I'm angry.
hulk.jpg
3EMS Hometheater

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks