What's new

Upgrade Question (1 Viewer)

Bob_Lawrance

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

I was wondering what you would do regarding upgrading speakers. If you could only afford to upgrade one of your speakers would you do that or would you what to upgrade all of them at once, when you can afford too?

Thanks

Bob

Tom Donaghue

Stunt Coordinator
The biggest impact you're likely to get is in your front soundstage configuration. Any upgrades to your center or mains will likely provide you with the biggest upgrade. If this is a consideration, keep in mind that the front soundstage (L/C/R) should be from the same speaker manufacturer and if possible, the same line of speakers. Timbre matching of these three are crucial in providing a seamless soundstage up front where the soundtrack will predominantly reside when it comes to panning effects from left to right and back.

If you're staying w/in the same family (manuf.) of speakers, you'd likely be able to get away with upgrading your mains and using the existing center for a while. You could also upgrade the center first as this will likely be less costly than the mains, then when funds allow, upgrade the mains to match. If you're more inclined to listen to music as opposd to movies, you'll get more mileage out of an upgrade of the mains than the center. Keep in mind that if you wait too long to upgrade all three (e.g., several years), it may be difficult to find them brand new.

Good surrounds can have an impact on your system as well, but not a significant as the mains and center. One last consideration may be a subwoofer upgrade. If your listening material is predominantly movie soundtracks, a solid low-end is important in reproducing the director/ sound engineer's intended impact. To add to this, a solid, capable subwoofer can also add life to your mains that may have sounded a bit lacking when using w/an inferior subwoofer.

Hope this helps... :cool: -TD

Bob_Lawrance

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Tom

That does help me. So if I do piece by piece then I should start from the center channel and work out.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Rather than buying one at a time, I'd save up my money until I had enough to replace the package.

Open a special "upgrade savings account" at your bank. :)

PhilMays

Stunt Coordinator
"sound" advice from all.....DO NOT buy something that is close to what you want as eventually you will spend way more money when you do get what you want....happened to me.

Know what you want, figure the cost, and save the money....

Good luck

Phil

Bob_Lawrance

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the suggestions.

The reason I am thinking of at least upgrading my centre is I have a chance to sell my old speaker and that will allow me to get the center channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks