What's new

Upgrade bug strikes again...decisions, decisions... (1 Viewer)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Well, the upgrade bug has been getting at me lately (damn this board :) ) and I was wondering what everyone else thought about which direction I should head (should I convince the old wifey)...
I currently have:
Marantz SR-8000 Receiver
Panny RP91 DVD
Norh 5.1 Wood mains
Norh 4.0 Wood center/rear
SVS 39PC Sub
Pioneer Elite PRO-710 TV
RCA Directv Dolby Digital receiver
Two options I've come up with are:
1) Upgrading the Norh 5.1 Mains/4.0 Center channel to Norh 7.0 Marble (all three) (estimated cost - $3,000)
2) Upgrading the Norh 5.1 Mains/4.0 Center channel to Norh SM 6.9 (all three) AND getting some sort of amp to hook up with my Marantz SR-8000 (such as the Rotel 1095?) (estimated cost - $3,300)
As you can probably tell, I'm VERY BIG on Norh speakers. I couldn't imagine getting any other type in that price point. What does everyone think? Am I totally headed in the wrong direction here? Should I not bother upgrading the speakers at all? I've been thinking about going to separates for months now, which is why I'm liking that second option, but I don't think I'm ready to replace the Marantz receiver just yet (with a pre/pro). This would also probably be my last upgrade of ANY KIND for a very long time (I know some of you are saying "yeah right"), so I need to make this one count. I would like to keep it around that $3,000 price range. Does anyone have any OTHER suggestions given that price range?
Scott

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Looks good to me, you don't need anything else.

Hold off until better stuff becomes more redily avalible.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
When I got the upgrade bug about 1-1/2 years ago, I purchased some speaker cables for my main speakers. I was able to hear a great difference in sound. This upgrade only set me back $225.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Since you were thinking of going to separates and are pretty happy with your current speakers, with your budget you could have lots of fun demo'ing amps. I don't think a 6-channel Cinepro amp is too far out of your budget, but I'm sure there are a lot of other amps that might be worth checking out as well.

Just an option...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks