What's new

Upgrade bug is getting me... questions on speakers from Tweeter (1 Viewer)

JamesCB

Second Unit
Note to MikeD,

Sorry about the sabotage. I am new to this forum. After a day of reading alot of "Bose bashing", I was just in a squirrely mood. Just please spend your money wisely. Didn't mean to start any trouble. I'll keep my comments toward the more serious from now on.

JamesCB

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
JamesCB,

No problem :emoji_thumbsup: The nice thing about this forum is it's usually a pretty mature place, even the video game forum :)

Mike D.

Bill Law

Stunt Coordinator
I was ready to write a check for the Mirage OM5's OMC3, etc. until my wife went with me for one last listen.
She insisted on the Viennas after one listen.
The mirages seem to come from all around but you cant really pinpoint where any one sound comes from (poor imaging?). They are also boomy or boxy compared to VA's.
But for the price the Mirages are great.
The Viennas rule but they hurt your checking account.
(Still recovering)
I do love the VA's even after 6 months regular listening.
Truly no fatigue.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
There is a good review of VA surround system (Strass, Oratorio, Waltz setup) in the March edition of Stereophile Guide to Home Theater. Not as in-depth as a regular Stereophile review, but very good nonetheless. The speakers got a rave, and I believe have been given a AAAA or AAA rating (I forget which) in S-GTHT's recommended components list.

DerrickW

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I spent some time at Tweeter a week ago. These are some VERY different speakers, so your opinion will clearly vary.

Klipsch
To me they are bright and I don't like it. You can certainly do worse though. The high frequency technology is different, and many people like it, many others don't.

Mirage
The omni line really does play with imaging a lot. I agree with the earlier statement about making it a bit hard to pinpoint the exact location, but the soundstage is much larger and the imaging is still good. Their approach is different and I suggest looking at their brochure or website to understand what is going on. There were different yet enjoyable compared to traditional speakers.

BA
The speakers with powered subs really bothered me. But once I finally convinced the idiot salesman to switch to the "inferior" passive model I was pleased. A much more 'normal' speaker design than Mirage or Klipsch, or course normal is all relative to what you are used to.

I actually listened to the B&W 600 series for the first time last night and was pretty impressed. Even compared to the Nautilus 800 series B&W, the 600 has a lot going for it. It has good imaging and to me a very neutral and enjoyable sound. It is not extremely revealing which high-end guys seem to go for, but depending on the quality of your sources is not always necessary. I would easily pick it over the other choices you gave, but of course everyone is different. I do suggest going to listen to them yourself. You may be surprised by what you find.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks