What's new

Update: Bringing Up Baby, Philadelphia Story, Libeled Lady, Stage Door and others (2 Viewers)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Doh! That's why a search of "open" threads brought up nothing huh?

Archives...must remember Archives....

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Meanwhile, as long as this thread got a bump, it's nice to note that the documentary CARY GRANT: A CLASS APART which is the core of disc 2 of BRINGING UP BABY, just got an Emmy nomination for outstanding non-fiction special.

It's such a great show that WB could have released it as a solo (like they did with the same filmmaker's excellent Gene Kelly documentary). If you haven't seen it, you're missing a real treat. It's truly (no pun intended) A CLASS APART from those awful and perfunctory A&E BIOGRAPHY shows or E! TRUE HOLLYWOOD STORIES that have been thrust upon us in the last decade.

If you haven't bought this boxed set or BRINGING UP BABY on its own, you're missing great entertainment, and the extras, like the Grant documentary, are really superb.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Indeed, the reason I searched for a review is because I recently bought the DVD and was very impressed with it altogether, the Peter Bogdanovich commentary was a bit rough to get through IMO (too often just describing what was happening on screen) but on the whole I was very impressed with this SE as I am with most of WB classics DVD releases.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Which documentary is this? I was just watching the extra features on "The Band Wagon", and started thinking that Warner's hasn't really included a documentary on either Gene Kelly or Fred Astair.

Isn't "An American In Paris" rumured for a re-release in 2006? Maybe the Gene Kelly documentary would find it's way on that?

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
The excellent Gene Kelly documentary produced by Warner Bros.' Turner Entertainment Co. entity and PBS' American Masters is called GENE KELLY: ANATOMY OF A DANCER.

It was released by Warner Home Video in 2002 on its own, but was also part of a Kelly boxed set that included SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, AMERICAN IN PARIS and ON THE TOWN.

It was made by Robert Trachtenberg, the same filmmaker that did CARY GRANT: A CLASS APART.

It's really worth purchasing, as it is brilliantly and thoughtfully presented, with the most poignant comments coming from Gene's first wife, Betsy Blair, who is remarkably candid.

This is another exceptional documentary, and highly recommended.

John Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
I love this set and I enjoyed the Kate Hepburn documentary that comes with The Philadelphia Story. I live near Old Saybrook where her house was/is and was surprised to learn that she and I both liked to shop at the same little clothing store on Main Street (I recognized the owner carrying out her purchases). Regrettably, it has now gone out of business and Kate has passed on, but her lovely home is still easily accessible to those who drive around the Fenwick golf course.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks