Upconverting DVD player on an old Toshiba HDX82?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by ColinW, Nov 22, 2007.

1. ColinW

ColinW Agent

My display is an older Tosh 57HDX82. I am in the market for a new DVD recorder and I see the information for the upconverting models. Would these be useful for the quality of display on my set? I believe my set itself can display 1080i/720p, but not full 1080p.

Does the set itself upconvert my standard DVD signal from my old Tosh player to 1080/720 already? Would I see any improvement with an upconverting DVD player/recorder or would it be the exact same?

Thanks for any and all assistance and advice.

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Your TV is a CRT design, so no, it does not scale content to its native resolution as fixed-pixel designs like flat-panel and microdisplays do. (Except that it will downconvert 1080i input to 720p, which is its maximum resolution according to the spec sheets I've seen.) So yeah, you should be a good candidate for an upconverting player. I have a microsdisplay that does as good or better a job at unconverting than my Sony DVD changer, so I'm afraid I can't offer any practical advice as to models or other pointers.

Regards,

Joe

3. ColinW

ColinW Agent

Thanks for the reply Joseph. I wasn't sure what the max resolution of the set was, so I looked around and found this as a feature of the set:

IDSCâ„¢ Pro coverts all 480i and 480p signals to 540p. Since 540p and 1080i share the same scan rate, a single focus point is established and focus compromise is eliminated. Frame, Line and Pixel doubling are all used to create progressive, full-frame images from standard interlaced signals. IDSC Pro passes through 1080i images without alteration, and now accepts 720p images and displays them as 1080i.

The full specs are here: http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisi...?model=57hdx82

From what I am seeing above, an upconverting player would pass through a full 720p or even 1080i signal and my Tosh should be able to display it right?

If that is true, I think an upconverting player would make a big difference in my theatre, and seems like a cheap way to get a much better picture.

Thanks again for your help, and for hopefully clarifiying what I found above.