Tracy Chapman Tracy ChapmanWM

Van Morrison MoondanceWM

Violent Femmes First AlbumWM

Westernhagen The Best of WesternhagenWM

Yolanda Adams Mountain High

Jesper

TomF

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a big Linda Ronstadt fan, but have never heard of any album/CD from her called Graceland. Does anyone know what that is?
Tom

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jesper,
Thanks for the info. No offense, but I will take this information with a grain of salt. When the discs are in the stores, then I will believe. Both SACD and DVD-Audio have made a lot of promises with regards to software. Sony delayed or cancelled a number of SACDs this year, and back in January, there were many rumors flying around about the number of SACD titles Sony intended to release in 2001. Maybe they were just rumors, but some people in the know in the music industry said that 500-1000 new SACD titles in 2001 from Sony was likely. :rolleyes: Warner has done better in giving us DVD-Audio titles that it announced this year, but there have been some delays. The two-month delay we are seeing with Queen A Night at the Opera concerns me.
By the way, in looking at your above list, it should be noted that the Carly Simon No Secrets and Foreigner 4 titles are already available on DVD-Audio, at least in the US. Also, Van Morrison Moondance and Doobie Brothers Captain and Me were announced some time ago. There are some great artists and titles on that list. Bring on A-Ha, Alannis Morrisette, The Cars, Christopher Cross, Don Henley, Doobie Brothers, Faith No More, Michael McDonald, Miles Davis, Neil Young, Tom Petty, R.E.M., Rush, Stone Temple Pilots, and Talking Heads. Is that too much to ask? :)
You had Firesign Theater Boom Not Bust on the list. Is this different than Boom Dot Bust or just a typo? Boom Dot Bust has been out on DVD-Audio for some time.
Tom,
I am not a big Linda Ronstadt fan (;)), but I looked up her catalog on CDNOW and did not find an album entitled Graceland. Maybe this is a forthcoming album? Note that Jesper's list has a few forthcoming albums from other artists (though with no titles). :confused:

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jesper Nielsen
Hi Kieth,
I am taking it with grain of salt! :)
I know these titles that are out... I just copy/paste the list
Maybe its a typo... I really dont know.

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jesper Nielsen
Hi Keith (this time I did right!)

I dont think you should blame Warner for the Queen delay - I think more its dts....

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jesper, yeah, the delay on A Night at the Opera is probably due to DTS, not Warner. Nevertheless, I was hoping to be listening to "Bohemian Rhapsody" in 24/96 stereo (if not 24/192) by now.

Michael_T

Second Unit
I was hoping to be listening to "Bohemian Rhapsody" in 24/96 stereo (if not 24/192) by now.
Don't count on listening to the Queen DVD-A in anything but 96/24 DVD-Audio surround.

The reason I say this is because I have two of the DTS DVD-Audio discs (Toy Matinee and Studio Voodoo) and they indicated advanced resolution stereo, etc., yet when I got the discs there were only Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo tracks.

Both of those DTS DVD-Audio discs have a DVD-Audio track (44.1/24) by the way, and DTS surround track (The Studio Voodoo has a DTS-ES) and a Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo track. Neither disc have a DVD-Audio stereo track.

Now I have seen ads for the Queen DVD-Audio disc - where it indicates 96/24 MLP 5.1 (DVD-Audio) and 96/24 DTS (the new DTS signal format), and that it includes re-mastered stereo tracks that blow away all previous CD versions - but it doesn't indicate if they will be in DVD-Audio, Dolby Digital or DTS - or merely 44.1/16 PCM. So your guess is as good as mine.

You have to remember that these discs are being marketed by DTS Entertainment - with the key word in the company name being DTS. So even though they are committed to DVD-Audio, in no way are they going to short change themselves when it comes to including DTS on this disc. I would be very surprised if there were a DVD-Audio stereo track, we will see when it comes out.

Valley Entertainment is the distributor and here is what was on their website, which lends credence to the fact that the only DVD-Audio mix on the disc will be 96/24 5.1 (I highlighted in red the line that would lead me to believe this):

"You have never spent A Night At The Opera like this before. DTS Entertainment in association with Valley Entertainment is proud to present the new DVD-Audio all region release of Queen's A Night At The Opera.

This new release will feature an Incredible 5.1 audio re-mix created by Elliot Scheiner (Eagles and Steely Dan) and original producer Roy Thomas Baker.

The original 1975 music video of Bohemian Rhapsody presented for the first time ever, in DTS 5.1 Digital Surround.

96/24 Advanced Resolution MLP soundtracks in 5.1 surround with a stereo down-mix (for all DVD-Audio players)

96/24 DTS 5.1 soundtrack (for DVD-Video and DVD-ROM players with a DTS-capable sound system)

The best-sounding stereo tracks ever offered for this popular classic (for all DVD-A, DVD-V and DVD-ROM players")

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Michael, thanks for the bad news. Don't worry, however, as I don't believe in shooting the messenger. ;) I haven't kept up with detailed DVD-Audio news for the most part, so I appreciate the information. If, indeed, there is no 24/96 stereo DVD-Audio track, that will be very sad. If all we get is a middle-of-the-band surround-sound track, I will view the disc as a wasted effort. "The Prophet's Song" is a natural for a middle-of-the-band surround mix in my opinion, but I would like to see the rears used for ambience otherwise. Probably won't happen, and I guess a high-resolution stereo DVD-Audio track won't happen either. :frowning:

Michael_T

Second Unit
If, indeed, there is no 24/96 stereo DVD-Audio track, that will be very sad.
It might be sad, indeed - and forgive me for bursting your enthusiam for this DVD-Audio with the bad news. I just report what I hear.
You must remember though, as I stated, this is a DTS Entertainment product - and DTS in and of itself is first and foremost a surround sound company. Just like the Silverline DVD-Audio discs (the Inside the Music series) only have a 5.1 surround mix, it appears that DTS aligns itself with DVD-Audio in much the same way, but at least DTS tries to give you a bit more (like the Dolby Digital stereo tracks I mentioned) even though they are mostly concerned with providing you with a surround sound experience.
Sorry, in the future I will only post things that have good news in them. :D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Michael, yeah, I realize that DTS is a surround-sound company first. That doesn't mean I have to like it. :)
Sorry, in the future I will only post things that have good news in them.
Yes, humor me. Lie if you have to. That's more like it. Thanks. ;)

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator
FYI...

Queen: A Night At The Opera has probably been dealyed for two reasons.

First, DTS is notroious for missing street dates, that why in the LD days they weren't known as DTS - Digital Theater Systems, it was Do They Ship.

Second and most importantly, Valley Media, DTS' distributor, filled for chapter 11 the day before Thanksgiving.

I don't know what this mean for the the future for DTS DVD-Audio discs, but Valley Media couldn't reach an agreement to merge with another distribution company, forcing thier filling.

I'll believe the Janunary street date when I have the disc in my hands.

Daniel L

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Daniel, I wasn't aware that Valley Media had filed for Chapter 11. Thanks for the info. I've always taken a "believe when I see it" approach to SACD and DVD-Audio, but I am taking it a new level with the Queen disc.

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
from what i read the queen dvd-a of night at the opera'll have a 24/96 stereo track that'll be better than any other stereo version of this album or so i read

Michael_T

Second Unit
from what i read the queen dvd-a of night at the opera'll have a 24/96 stereo track that'll be better than any other stereo version of this album or so i read
If you read my post a few or so up you will see that direct from the horses mouth, so to speak, it is very hard to tell what kind of stereo mix the Queen DVD-A will have. It does say that the DVD-A stereo will be a mix-down.

This will all be cleared up when the disc actually comes out. Let's hope Valley Entertainment pulls through chapter 11. (Even since DTS moved to Valley Entertainment as a distributor it has been harder to get new releases on time. And direct ordering from Valley Entertainment - which I did twice - was a nightmare).

Peter_A

Second Unit
Man, more STP in DVD-A would be great as would the Faith No More. Sigh........I really wish their was more heavier rock coming down the pipe.

Now if Tool released some DVD-A titles...........I'd cream myself.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Well I guess one's loss is another's gain.

I for one prefer the idea of surround for the Queen album,I hope they do it right though,there are too many bad examples out there.DTS's Esteban:Enter the Heart is a GOOD example,and shows that the company can do quiet a good job with surround mix if they wanted to.Actualy they[DTS] produced a number of real good ones that surpass their stereo counterparts easily IMO,but that's not for everyone I agree.

I hope they will follow through with the current due date,can't wait!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lewis, I'm all for a quality surround mix on DVD-Audio discs, but I would also like to see at least a 24/96 stereo mix, if not 24/192. I'd love to compare a 24/96 or 24/192 stereo mix of A Night at the Opera to the CD.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm definitely pleased to see a Rush DVD-A listed. It should take some of the pain away from the 'where the hell is my copy of Night at the Opera?' I'm currently experiencing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks