What's new

Upcoming Timeless Releases (1 Viewer)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Danny, this is all pretty great news. Timeless is certainly living up to its name...

Given the creative team behind two of your last three prognostications, would there be any chance of anothe PI series? A diamond in the rough? Or is that one still trapped in Four Star purgatory?

Thanks for the look ahead, by the way.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Regulus said:
That first one isn't Peter Gunn (Whos first season was started by A&E but then :( ABANDONED :( ) is it? :confused:
Forgot to mention, the first one had a couple of releases a long time ago and was abandoned. But I don't want to mention any names. :D

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
FanCollector said:
Danny, this is all pretty great news. Timeless is certainly living up to its name...
Given the creative team behind two of your last three prognostications, would there be any chance of anothe PI series? A diamond in the rough? Or is that one still trapped in Four Star purgatory?
Thanks for the look ahead, by the way.
Impossible. Split ownership with some episodes owned by Fox (by way of Four Star) and the majority by CBS. A legit release of the full run would be highly improbable.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Speaking of abandoned titles, it would be nice for the sake of convenience if Timeless could finish the one abandoned title in its own ranks which is "The Lawless Years".
I suppose you could also consider "The Loretta Young Show" an 'abandoned' title of theirs as well since they gave us near complete first and second seasons and then a "best of" for Seasons 3 and 4 and that was a long time ago.
I mention them only to note that even though Timeless has the best record of any independent label when it comes to providing completeness in their releases and finishing what they started (I am quite confident we will over the long haul see all of "The Virginian" and "Wagon Train"), even their exceptions should be duly noted.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Jack P said:
Speaking of abandoned titles, it would be nice for the sake of convenience if Timeless could finish the one abandoned title in its own ranks which is "The Lawless Years".
I suppose you could also consider "The Loretta Young Show" an 'abandoned' title of theirs as well since they gave us near complete first and second seasons and then a "best of" for Seasons 3 and 4 and that was a long time ago.
I mention them only to note that even though Timeless has the best record of any independent label when it comes to providing completeness in their releases and finishing what they started (I am quite confident we will over the long haul see all of "The Virginian" and "Wagon Train"), even their exceptions should be duly noted.
Would agree with your sentiments about The Lawless Years.

maskedmala

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Maurice
Peter Gunn, Mr Lucky and Yancy Derringer coming on DVD. WOW Two of these titles ( Mr Lucky and Yancy Derringer) were in the suggestions list I wrote a while ago.
Life's good
Thank you to those responsible

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I have the first two seasons of Peter Gunn via the UK PAL releases that I am very happy with the quality of, so hoping to see equal care with a season 3 release. I tried capturing season 3 from RTV but they appeared cut and were hard to watch after viewing the superior PAL versions.
Yancy Derringer is another interesting title for me. While I've never seen it, I have most of the Range Rider episodes and really enjoyed Jock Mahoney and Dickie Jones in those. I'm hoping they worked it so Jock has an opportunity for a variety of actions scene's per episode since that is one of the things that makes Range Rider so good. After all Jock is also a stuntman.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Just for clarity sake, the releases that Neil is hinting at are only in the planning/working on stages right now. Their releases aren't imminent. I just wanted to make that clear so folks weren't looking for an announcement tomorrow. There are other titles (Uni ones) that are closer to being announced and are closer to being just around the corner, so to speak.

Gary "Timeless will easily be my favorite studio if they keep this up - heck, who am I kidding - they already are!" O.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Thanks for the clarification, but let me ask for a further one. Do you mean the rights have yet to be obtained? Or they have the rights and are just working on the early stages of the actual releases?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Excellent question, Lee. The reality is that sometimes these long range "visions" are still in the negotiations stage and sometimes they are in the prep stages. Regardless of where they are, I've seen things fall through at the last minute because some family member comes in late and jacks up the price. I've seen things fall through when studios suddenly raise prices. I could rattle off several shows that the crystal ball saw coming that fell through. Some of them at the "last minute", so to speak. I remember us hearing that Hec Ramsey was coming a couple of years ago and I thought the inference was that Timeless would be the ones bringing it out, but that never happened. Now, to be specific, it wasn't my crystal ball that saw or predicted that one coming. It was another person's crystal ball. But it fell through. So sometimes we just have to wait it out. My CBS crystal ball sees things that that studio has on long range plans, but sometimes those are stalled out as well. So until a set is in the production stage (dvds at the factory being pressed and prepared) I'm always a tad bit cautious. I've just seen too many things fall through the cracks over the years.

Gary "hope that helps a little" O.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
A little.

Incidentally, no need to blame anyone's crystal ball for Hec Ramsey. I actually wrote to Timeless at their public email address and they told me it was coming. Not an official announcement, but they were clearly not keeping it too secret.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Has the Quality of the Timeless Media releases improved? I have heard they still do not time encoded their releases which is both dissapointing and makes a release look cheap. I only own Virginian Season One-will soon get season 2, Alias Smith and Jones and have Tales of Wells Fargo on the way. I'm strongly considering: Laramie, Wagon Train and The Tall Man. I'm very happy with quality of The Virginian other than the lack of time encoding and thought Alias Smith and Jones was good but not great. I've seen alot of complaints on Amazon about washed out prints on their releases and many of the previews of the shows on their website do back this up. So are they really hit and miss or are they improving and it was just ealier releases that had washed out prints? I understand availability of prints from Universal effects many of their releases but they claim restored and remastered on many. If they did that on all sales would be even greater for them I suspect. Their list price is pretty high so quality should be there.
Washed out prints are a deal killer for me. After really getting into three shows with excellent prints: Cheyenne, Gunsmoke and The Virginian, I have gotten the western bug again and am curious to see many shows I have never seen and timeless could become a big studio for me but not if the prints are bad. Washed out and grainy prints took me out of Have Gun Will Travel after two seasons and Rawhide after One Season. I'm asking here because their releases do not get many reviews other then on Amazon and those are all over the place.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Randy Korstick said:
Has the Quality of the Timeless Media releases improved? I have heard they still do not time encoded their releases which is both dissapointing and makes a release look cheap. I only own Virginian Season One-will soon get season 2, Alias Smith and Jones and have Tales of Wells Fargo on the way. I'm strongly considering: Laramie, Wagon Train and The Tall Man. I'm very happy with quality of The Virginian other than the lack of time encoding and thought Alias Smith and Jones was good but not great. I've seen alot of complaints on Amazon about washed out prints on their releases and many of the previews of the shows on their website do back this up. So are they really hit and miss or are they improving and it was just ealier releases that had washed out prints? I understand availability of prints from Universal effects many of their releases but they claim restored and remastered on many. If they did that on all sales would be even greater for them I suspect. Their list price is pretty high so quality should be there.
Washed out prints are a deal killer for me. After really getting into three shows with excellent prints: Cheyenne, Gunsmoke and The Virginian, I have gotten the western bug again and am curious to see many shows I have never seen and timeless could become a big studio for me but not if the prints are bad. Washed out and grainy prints took me out of Have Gun Will Travel after two seasons and Rawhide after One Season. I'm asking here because their releases do not get many reviews other then on Amazon and those are all over the place.
Any company that licenses shows out from studios is at the mercy of either A) What elements are provided to them and B) The willingness of the studio to allow access to their 35mm prints. As most studios either do not allow access and will only do such transfers themselves at astronomical costs, this leaves the licensee at the mercy of what is available. This greatly varies show by show. If you are talking about a company like Universal, whose in house costs even to themselves are ridiculously high, unless they get a modern day cable buy, such as Encore purchasing The Virginian, you are not getting a perfect quality, color corrected digital remaster. I'm glad that as I've been watching shows from 16mm for most of my life, either in off network syndication or through the many print transfers I've gotten in the hobby, these things don't really effect my viewing enjoyment at all. Bottom line is, if its a show that hasn't had any sales in decades, the odds of you seeing it in "excellent transfers" are pretty slim.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by FanCollector /t/314653/upcoming-timeless-releases/150#post_3873102
Incidentally, no need to blame anyone's crystal ball for Hec Ramsey. I actually wrote to Timeless at their public email address and they told me it was coming. Not an official announcement, but they were clearly not keeping it too secret.
I've always found that particular situation strange because every time I spoke with people at Timeless about that show they told me flat out it wasn't coming and they couldn't understand why the "rumor" was out there. Yet it's clear others were getting a different story. All I can say is the person I was speaking to at the time was a higher up employee at the company (no longer there now) and they were adamant about it not being released by them.

Gary "my guess is this was a situation where things fell through late - too bad, as I'd have loved to own it" O.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Randy Korstick said:
Of all the Timeless releases that I've purchased, I have to say that the only ones that I really felt let down by, were the Laramie S3&4 releases. I am usually very happy to just have watchable copies of these great shows, but the Laramie prints were really in very poor shape, and interfered with my enjoyment of the show. But Arrest and Trial, Brenner, M Squad, Tales of Wells Fargo, The Virginian, Johnny Staccato, Checkmate, Cimarron City, The Tall [/B]Man, etc. have all been fine and in some cases VERY good. All in all, I'm just extremely grateful, that TMG is serving the classic TV fan, when so many other companies, aside from SHOUT, don't seem to care much at all about us. At least Warner now has its MOD program that gives me hope for all the rest of their great TV library of shows.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Richard V said:
Of all the Timeless releases that I've purchased, I have to say that the only ones that I really felt let down by, were the Laramie S3&4 releases. I am usually very happy to just have watchable copies of these great shows, but the Laramie prints were really in very poor shape, and interfered with my enjoyment of the show. But Arrest and Trial, Brenner, M Squad, Tales of Wells Fargo, The Virginian, Johnny Staccato, Checkmate, Cimarron City, The Tall [/B]Man, etc. have all been fine and in some cases VERY good. All in all, I'm just extremely grateful, that TMG is serving the classic TV fan, when so many other companies, aside from SHOUT, don't seem to care much at all about us. At least Warner now has its MOD program that gives me hope for all the rest of their great TV library of shows.
Thanks for the replies Richard and Neil. I thought I knew most of the answer already but was wondering since they are re-issueing alot of shows that were collections now in Season sets if any remastering was being done.
Warner Archive is a savior for many other old shows that would have never seen a release otherwise and all their prints are very nice. Season 2 of Cheyenne looks even better than season one did and with Season 3 on the way soon it gives me hope for Bronco, Sugarfoot, Lawman and Maverick coming soon as well.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Neil Brock said:
Any company that licenses shows out from studios is at the mercy of either A) What elements are provided to them and B) The willingness of the studio to allow access to their 35mm prints. As most studios either do not allow access and will only do such transfers themselves at astronomical costs, this leaves the licensee at the mercy of what is available. This greatly varies show by show. If you are talking about a company like Universal, whose in house costs even to themselves are ridiculously high, unless they get a modern day cable buy, such as Encore purchasing The Virginian, you are not getting a perfect quality, color corrected digital remaster. I'm glad that as I've been watching shows from 16mm for most of my life, either in off network syndication or through the many print transfers I've gotten in the hobby, these things don't really effect my viewing enjoyment at all. Bottom line is, if its a show that hasn't had any sales in decades, the odds of you seeing it in "excellent transfers" are pretty slim.
I say a properly cleaned and transfered 16mm can look very nice if done right, especially anything B&W.
There's still this myth that 16mm is a poor-step child of television, when it was the norm up until the mid-late 1980's.
DVD has "spoiled" many a viewer.

DeWilson said:
I say a properly cleaned and transfered 16mm can look very nice if done right, especially anything B&W.
There's still this myth that 16mm is a poor-step child of television, when it was the norm up until the mid-late 1980's.
DVD has "spoiled" many a viewer.
I agree. 16mm doesn't have the "depth" or almost 3D quality of 35mm, but it can look quite nice if sourced from good prints.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Richard V said:
Of all the Timeless releases that I've purchased, I have to say that the only ones that I really felt let down by, were the Laramie S3&4 releases. I am usually very happy to just have watchable copies of these great shows, but the Laramie prints were really in very poor shape, and interfered with my enjoyment of the show.
I haven't seen the Laramie releases but from what I hear, they look like they are probably from someone's multi-generation off-air VHS recordings. Why they would put a show out in that condition, I have no idea, especially since we aren't talking about some great lost classic. The color Universal prints never hit the streets and this was back before they were providing any elements to Timeless. But for whatever reason, they were hellbent on releasing the series so they just went with some collector's dubby, cut up, off-air tapes from the 80s. A shame as now they have a good working relationship and could have done a nice release from 16mm film prints.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Gary OS said:
Just for clarity sake, the releases that Neil is hinting at are only in the planning/working on stages right now.  Their releases aren't imminent. 
Gary OS said:
  It was another person's crystal ball.  But it fell through.  So sometimes we just have to wait it out.  My CBS crystal ball sees things that that studio has on long range plans, but sometimes those are stalled out as well. 
Rather than all this stuff with "Hinting" and "Crystal Balls" (Neil's hints are WAY too easy - You gotta make them harder!) How about just come out and say what you've heard on the grapevine, officially or through back-channels,to the extent you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks